Howdy!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ooeei

Reaction score
Greetings from TX everyone! I've been sharpening my Artifex on an Imanishi 1k/6k combo for about 3 years. I was slacking bigtime on the sharpening, but decided to step it up about 6 months ago. I've been keeping up with it quite well, and just got a Shapton Pro 320 to thin the knife. So far so good, although I've scuffed it up quite a bit. Really enjoying the splash and go convenience.

I know the Artifex doesn't have a good reputation here, so I'm interested to upgrade to something else recommended here. One of these days I'll probably make a knife recommendation post to get something a bit better, but for now I'm enjoying having a knife I don't feel bad about practicing on.

3 years?!? Does it take that long to get one of them sharp?
Just messin' with you. Welcome aboard.

Well the first time took 2 and a half years, the second time was just 6 months! I think with the new coarse stone I can cut it down to 3 if I really focus.

Lol, good comeback! Seriously dude, guard your wallet. If you want to do better look at any of the western makers here....all superior...Haburn, HHH, Anderson...can't go wrong.
Well the first time took 2 and a half years, the second time was just 6 months! I think with the new coarse stone I can cut it down to 3 if I really focus.

Lol, good comeback! Seriously dude, guard your wallet. If you want to do better look at any of the western makers here....all superior...Haburn, HHH, Anderson...can't go wrong.

Yikes, yeah those are significantly out of my league. Certainly nice to look at though. I was thinking more along the lines of a Carbonext or Tojiro PM or something like that, two of those you posted don't even have prices listed, that rarely means they're low cost ;). I prefer having tools where I'm not going to have a panic attack if a friend drops it or the girlfriend accidentally dings it on something. For now the thinning seems to have helped with the Artifex, I see it lasting a good while longer. I'll probably try to find some new splash and go stones before a new knife, I'm really liking the 320 shapton. Once I hit the minimum posts I'll probably try to get a few bucks for the combo and buy new stones then.

We just got a new puppy, so I'm too busy spending money on vaccinations and pre-poop (food) to be able to justify new knife stuff for awhile.

Latest posts

Back