A little intro.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youkinorn

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm not new at all (as you can see from my join date), but I'm finally starting to post more and be a bit more active on the board.

Got into cooking in college, and knives from there. I actually left my first job out of school (as an advertising art director) and cooked professionally at a high end restaurant for a while. My heart and interest is still mostly in food, but I got sucked back into the advertising/design/whatever world professionally.

I have a food blog at http://tongueandtooth.tumblr.com that I've done a bad job updating since my last move. It's a little silly and sentimental at times, but gives you an idea of what I like to cook.

A few pictures of my food:
tumblr_inline_nskq6dkp031qzndsy_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_nnjbtePxTl1qzndsy_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_nnjbus4SnK1qzndsy_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_nhnz3gGIDL1qzndsy.jpg

tumblr_inline_ngmz4uXTyq1qzndsy.jpg

tumblr_na5upstTnt1rtggwvo1_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_n81q47tbx41qzndsy.jpg

tumblr_inline_miscwlSOG31qz4rgp.jpg

tumblr_inline_miouvxAXxJ1qz4rgp.jpg

I've lived in Dallas, Austin, New York, and Chicago, so if you've got any questions about food stuff in those cities, don't hesitate to ask.

Your food always looks great. It's also good to see a few more active members from Chicago.

I'll say, the food looks, and I'm sure tastes, fantastic. Do you sleep at all?:biggrin:

Doesn't seem like it lately, ha.

wow morels, do you go mushroom hunting too?

If I'm remembering right, those were some I had found myself. I've only been able to get out and hunt a few times, but really enjoyed it and had some decent luck. I moved recently, so now I don't even know where to go haha.

You have a great hand and an eye for plating. Thanks for the ideas.

I'm an advertising art director who quit to cook professionally for a while (but am now back to being an art director), so it would probably be a problem if that weren't the case haha.

Thanks for the kind words.

Salmon Head ravioli, does it taste different than salmon filet ravioli? Ha, just kidding, I've never seen a bowl of ravioli look sexy before. If the food in the photos editable, or do you use the air brush to embellish? Some of the plate look a little hard to eat. Like the scallop with the romaesco. You score it too. Is that to create more surface area when searing? The halibut with the seafoam, oh my that is probably the best use of foam i've seen in a while. I'd say your doing pretty good in your career if your food taste half as good as it looks. I take pride on turning out restaurant quality food, but need help plating. I've haven't done beef tong, but want to. I'm rambling.

Seriously your blog, photos and food have just sucked up an hour. And only one knife shot? Kono HD? Your going to fit in great around here. I'd like to hear more about the knifes you use to create some of the most beautiful food I've ever seen. Well-Come!

Salmon Head ravioli, does it taste different than salmon filet ravioli? Ha, just kidding, I've never seen a bowl of ravioli look sexy before. If the food in the photos editable, or do you use the air brush to embellish? Some of the plate look a little hard to eat. Like the scallop with the romaesco. You score it too. Is that to create more surface area when searing? The halibut with the seafoam, oh my that is probably the best use of foam i've seen in a while. I'd say your doing pretty good in your career if your food taste half as good as it looks. I take pride on turning out restaurant quality food, but need help plating. I've haven't done beef tong, but want to. I'm rambling.

Seriously your blog, photos and food have just sucked up an hour. And only one knife shot? Kono HD? Your going to fit in great around here. I'd like to hear more about the knifes you use to create some of the most beautiful food I've ever seen. Well-Come!

Way different than fillet! The cheeks and face meat are fatty and luxurious and awesome. The food is all real food haha. Definitely no airbrushing. Just stuff I've cooked around the apartment for fun—or some for friends or my girlfriend or whoever.

The scallop was pretty easy to eat. There was a sort of meaty condiment thing under it with diced octopus and peppercorns and stuff that helped bind the dried vegetables together. The scoring was mostly for helping it cook through more quickly when basting since I wasn't really trying to get too hard of a sear that time. Still the idea of more surface area to spread heat through, though.

Definitely cook tongue sometime. It's delicious and actually pretty easy.

And thank you so much for the compliments—really glad you enjoyed the stuff. Need to get posting again soon.

Back