Does stone polishing work on Nickel damascus?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAS4T0

Reaction score
Hi KKF!

Has anyone had any success polishing Nickel damascus with natural stones to bring out the contrast (as opposed to etching)?

I'd like to stone polish my SG2 ZKramer to get a more muted and less tactile finish, but I'm unsure if doing so would just ruin the etched finish.

I suspect there will be little difference in the appearance of the two metals, and unless you do some etching the "Damascus" effect will be very limited. Maybe more with a natural stone than with synthetic ones, but I wouldn't expect much.

No direct experience.

Peter

ive had good results on a lot of different types of Damascus, harder stones seem to produce best results for me...if the bevel is on the flatter side and very consistent.

what knife you thinking?

I had the ZK and the cladding that went into the top of the bevel reminded me of the pic of the katana you posted (pretty much polished looking but with fine lines between).

I'll try to get a better pic of this by the weekend but here is my Damascus Kato (etched) vis-à-vis with the Kikuryu (Maksim used jnats on it). In the pics of the Kikuryu at JNS it is much darker.

13F8EC6C-BE77-4BC7-97B0-B0CA375C67D9_zpsn41mxgwi.jpg

Thanks everyone!

I had the ZK and the cladding that went into the top of the bevel reminded me of the pic of the katana you posted (pretty much polished looking but with fine lines between).

That's my favourite look for damascus, I'm experimenting to see how close I can get to that with different knives. Thanks.

what knife you thinking?

I was thinking of experimenting with a ZKramer.

Back