• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Hiromoto Honyaki Gyuto, Mizuno Akitada Hontanren Petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timthebeaver

Reaction score
First up a Hiromoto honyaki gyuto, white #2, bolsterless western. As many here will be aware, Futoshi Nagao is no longer producing knives (and he has no apprentice), so these knives, along with forum stalwarts like the AS will never be produced again. This was part of a limited run of blades for JCK with a simple handle to keep the costs down. I think I was the first to receive one of these, and asked Koki to select the one with the best fit and finish.

Blade is 240mm on the edge, 48mm spine to edge at the heel. Used for about five minutes to dice boneless beef, and has begun to take a pleasing blue patina. Note that this knife is actually still pretty shiny, I've purposely tried to capture the patina development in the photo below. The hamon is clearly visible but, for those unfamiliar, they do not have the hamon pattern typically seen on Sakai knives. This knife has not been sharpened, touched up and is completely original. The blade is relatively thin and light at 210 grams. The handle is rather comfortable and on the large side for Japanese westerns. I can't help but think this knife would be best suited as a daily driver for a professional chef. $320/295 euro/225 GBP recorded delivery in EU/UK.

Secondly a Mizuno Tanrenjo Akitada Hontanren blue#2 clad wa-petty. 153mm handle-to-tip, 30mm spine to edge at heel, 60 grams. Unique spear-point profile, thin and light, ho wood/white buffalo horn bolster. Finish is analogous to the classic Mizuno gyuto, although I asked for the spine and choil to be rounded. Brand new in box, selling as I use a 1920's Joseph Rodgers Virgin Carbon which is almost identical in size/profile. $140/125 euro/95 GBP recorded delivery in EU/UK.

Will happily consider trade/partial trade for a well cared for 180-225mm wa-petty/sujihiki/line knife. No westerns, unless they are custom.

Best wishes,

TTB

VxJY0vQv_kZx9S6iNqraliwKW8o3RvedA9pTeAe5amI

rbgMfADbB_c4w3Ghz02ZJHMbwA5lXYCYyTwyfW65o3E

Still available.

Price drop for the Miz, £85

One time bump for the Hiromoto honyaki.

Tim did you sell both of these in the end? I apologise unreservedly if am digging up too old a thread, but it came up on a search, and seems not too far distant, and possibly unresolved...

Tim did you sell both of these in the end? I apologise unreservedly if am digging up too old a thread, but it came up on a search, and seems not too far distant, and possibly unresolved...

I'll piggyback on this post, and say if the petty's still available hit me up.

I'll piggyback on this post, and say if the petty's still available hit me up.

Both are still available - had quite a lot of interest initially but also lots of timewasting (unusual for KKF), and kinda lost interest in bumping them to be honest.

TTB.

Back