Japanese knife with German profile?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
The title basically says it all. Doe such knives exist?

Many of the brands you find in the stores fall into this category, Shun for example.

I was thinking about Miyabi. I find the profile of my 5000S quite "german".

The profile on the Miyabi 5000 is that of a gyuto...not the flattest one, but definitely not a German. The Miyabi 4000FC is more curved and has more of a belly.

But I'd also recommend Shun if German chef knife profile is your thing. They have different lines with different handle styles, cosmetics, and choice between VG10 or SG2 steel.

Henckels, Wusthof, Messermeister and other German knives are similar but not exactly alike. Shun, Miyabi (owned by Henckels) and Mac come close to fitting the bill. I'd take Mac out of the bunch. Tough and sharp, with a great profile and handle. Only problem is the uptick in prices over the past several years as the brand has been "discovered."

I'm sure Mark is well aware of Shun, ZKramers, Mac, etc.

Are you looking for a smaller, less mainstream Japanese brand making German profiles?

I can't help if you are, other than to suggest one of the makers who will make you a custom profile, but I thought that clarifying might help.

Yeah, maybe I should go for Shun, but I don't like the brand. How about the Miyabi, does that have a German profile?

Wusthof made the carbon 200th anniversary chef knife that's worth looking into, if you ask me. It just feels right when it comes to German knives.

I took this photo of a Henckel overlapping a Miyabi. This of course is only one german knife, and one Japanese knife. Won't be a huge help in the big picture.

For what it's worth, the profile of this Miyabi is very comfortable for rocking. It's a 6000MCT. I prefer the profile over the Henckel.

The KS is about as far from a German profile as it's possible to get - it's pretty much 100% French.

KS
KS-3124.jpg

Sabatier (French)
20140310-kenji-knives-food-lab-10.jpg

Wusthof (German)
the-great-knife-off.jpg

I have a shun kaji western knife and my dad has the classic western. Both knives often go on sale for 79.95. Definitely worth it at that price. Neither of us has had a chipping issue after more than a year of steady use.

I have a shun kaji western knife and my dad has the classic western. Both knives often go on sale for 79.95. Definitely worth it at that price. Neither of us has had a chipping issue after more than a year of steady use.

The OP is located in the Netherlands...also I don't recall seeing the Shun Classic 8" discounted down to $80 (never mind the Kaji) but it was last on sale for $100 in Q4 2015 in the US.

Yeah, maybe I should go for Shun, but I don't like the brand. How about the Miyabi, does that have a German profile?

So the different Miyabi lines have slightly different profiles, but in general they are have average to slightly-more-than average curve/belly for a gyuto, but none of the lines are really a full blown German profile like the many of the Shun chef knives (e.g. Classic, Premier, Kaji, Elite, Hiro) and are closer to French. But many of the Miyabis are quite suitable for rock-chopping, if that is what you are looking for. Can you also elaborate what other qualities you are looking for? Slightly more heft or lighter, balance, handle slender or larger, blade height, length (8" or 9.5-10"), steel type, etc? I am quite familiar with the Miyabi and also the Zwilling Kramer line up, so if you provide this input, I can customize my suggestion and information in response.t off But off the top of my head right now, I'm thinking possibly the Miyabi 6000 MCT or one of the 600 series (just avoid the S line, but 600D, 600MCD) or one of the Zwilling Kramers for you.

If the reason you're looking for a german profile J-knife is a decent geometry, good (carbon) steel and good cutting performance... maybe a Herder 1922 23cm Carbon chef knive would be worth a look. Only thing is that the handle and the balance point isn't japanese in any way...

The OP is located in the Netherlands...also I don't recall seeing the Shun Classic 8" discounted down to $80 (never mind the Kaji) but it was last on sale for $100 in Q4 2015 in the US.

Both knives I mentioned measure 6 inches and were purchased in the USA at the same store. The 8 inch version is certainly higher priced and has less frequently been on sale.

If the reason you're looking for a german profile J-knife is a decent geometry, good (carbon) steel and good cutting performance... maybe a Herder 1922 23cm Carbon chef knive would be worth a look. Only thing is that the handle and the balance point isn't japanese in any way...

Balance point on my Herder 1922 is clearly in front of the bolster. It isn't handle heavy as most modern Germans.

And for the record only: profile of the 1922 is rather French, tip even slightly lower than modern French, higher than vintage French and Japanese blades. Please remember European makers have adopted the Sabatier profile from the 1890'ies, and only adapted little by little since. Has to do with people's tallness as well: modern German blades seem to be made for tall people working behind a low counter. For short people like myself their tip is totally unusable.

Would the Zwilling Cermax (which uses a semi-western visual DESIGN but a japanese-as-**** steel/angle combination) qualify? The blade shape for the 200mm version on the Zwilling site looks rather German...

i just sharpen them myself this way ("ballig"). Put the knife flat on the stone with an attempted zero degree angle and then slowly give them a nice convex grind.

works with all my lasers very good ...japanese or old solingen knifes does not matter
I would not like to buy zwilling and other german factory standard stuff (actually solingen where all those knife manufacturers are located is around 20 kilometers away from my hometown)

-Herder knifes are the only factory ones that have a good profile out of the box.
the big herder 1922 is regarded as the best series knife from its geometrie in germany.
-Jürgen Schanz Knifes are very good german style german knifes.
-Xerxes knifes are awesome
-holy &%$/ .. that zwilling ceramax 240mm is 320 euros!!! for such a %$/&$&%$ factory knife.. puhh sorry but i never ever heard of anyone in the german knife maniac forum who would have bought this..really dondt !
for that money get yourself a schanz ludicus!

Krassi, it's not so much about about geometry as more about profile. See the tip level and the resulting curve or "bauch". As for convexing, that's common with the right side -- at least -- with all knives, I hope, to allow food release.

@Krassi the cermax is ZDP-189 cored... don't have it, but that series is certainly the only Zwilling I'd ever consider getting :)

ok!
sorry for my misunderstanding

-then the herder 1922 IS THE BEST choice
-the schanz ludicus 220mm gyuto also has that kind of belly.

" the cermax is ZDP-189 cored." .. holy s.! ... now thaaaaaats something completely different! ;)) i thought it was just overprized junk.

Well. Krassi, Mark-- the OP --was looking for a fat belly, and I only wanted to explain why the 1922 wouldn't correspond to his requirements, and how profiles have changed. And why the almost French profiled 1922 is my preferred knife...

hehe ok i just shut up ;) .. psst 1922 rocks ;)

Back