Quantcast
Nakayama Aka-pin review
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Nakayama Aka-pin review

  1. #1

    Nakayama Aka-pin review

    Hi folks,

    I got two Nakayama Aka-pins from 330mate a while ago and just made a review to compare them. I learned a lot from this one

    http://***********************/2011/03...ariations.html

    DarKHoeK

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    SpikeC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    3,773
    Excellent review!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

  3. #3
    Very nice one Harald !!!

  4. #4
    Nice review, I still have not got a good set of stones, that is something to sort out soon I think!


    Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

  5. #5
    Wow that finish on the #1 is phenomenal. I want every rock in your house.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Wow that finish on the #1 is phenomenal. I want every rock in your house.
    I was truly amazed how good that #1 performed and equally surprised how shait the #2 was. It says all about the very difficult task it is to judge a stone by its looks.

    DarkhoEk

  7. #7
    Can you give us an estimate of grit ratings? Maybe just a general "cuts like X000 and polishes like Y000"

  8. #8
    It is very hard to give grit ratings on natural stones, but comparing the scratch patterns on the stones, I'd say that the #2 cuts like a #2000 and finishes like a Takashima in the #6-8000 range. The #2 doesen't cut at all, but scratches like an Aoto without slurry, I'd estimate a #800-2000. If you can find something like the #1, you would be really happy with it as a finisher or pre-polisher.

    DArkHOeK

  9. #9
    Daaaamn, now I want one. I've always thought of naturals as more for polishing than sharpening, but that sounds like it would be a great replacement for a Suehiro Rika if you need a splash and go stone.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhoek View Post
    It is very hard to give grit ratings on natural stones, but comparing the scratch patterns on the stones, I'd say that the #2 cuts like a #2000 and finishes like a Takashima in the #6-8000 range. The #2 doesen't cut at all, but scratches like an Aoto without slurry, I'd estimate a #800-2000. If you can find something like the #1, you would be really happy with it as a finisher or pre-polisher.

    DArkHOeK
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post
    Daaaamn, now I want one. I've always thought of naturals as more for polishing than sharpening, but that sounds like it would be a great replacement for a Suehiro Rika if you need a splash and go stone.
    maybe, but its not going to work the same on all steels... also, keep in mind that many naturals struggle with harder stainless steels. There are some naturals that work well for these, but not that many that i've found.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •