• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Knife worthy of a Stefan Keller handle ...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, some of you might've read my post about "Ideal knife to re-handle" ...

Here's the story! I wanted Stefan to re-handle my very first J-Knife, a simple Kobayashi Santoku with an ugly plastic ferrule. Sentimental reasons, it was a gift from my wife, it's gotten me into this (mess - LOL) and it will never go. Only the ferrule/handle can't stay, that is.

I signed up for Stefans pre-buy ... and then forgot about it (I blame having a toddler around, haha) ... had the knife rehandled by someone else (don't judge me) and now I am here. I do NOT have a knife that needs to be rehandled or is worthy of a Keller Original.

I also did commit to it and I want Stefan to get his new toys. So I need the help of this community: I need a knife worthy of his handle. And I am looking for one HERE. Can be blade only, can be knife with (damaged/ugly/old/new) handle. Whatever.

Show me what you got! Let's have fun with this! Some specs:

- No single bevels
- No Shigs (yeah, I said it LOL)
- No Western handles
- Nothing under 52 mm blade height
- Gyuto between 210 and 240 preferred ... but if you have a kickass Nakiri or Bunka, I'd listen ...
- Ideally Carbon, Mono, San Mai ... all good. Stainless .. maybe. Depends on the steel. Semi-Stainless also ok.

I'll give this until this weekend. If I cannot find anything suitable here until then I might just do something irrational ... LOL

Interesting posting... My first option would be my Yoshimitsu Tamahagane/Watetsu Wa-Gyuto 210 mm for which I would consider changing its original handle for one made by Stefan. It is almost new. A second option would be my Tesshu Wa Gyuto Damascus 210mm Blue I steel Single Bevel (made by Kenichi Shiraki) that has light use.

What exactly are you proposing in your post?

I got a Kato Kikuryu 240mm Gyuto with the J-Nat polish by Maksim last week which I may let go. It turns out that my fantasy knife may actually be a reality, and coming to fruition much sooner than I had planned (and budgeted) for.

I'll send you a PM but if you're not interested I understand as it is by no means an inexpensive knife, and the work Maksim did to it added even more to the price compared to the original one on the JNS website. That said it is definitely a knife worthy of a custom handle.

Carter :p (I actually love the original handle on mine, but he does have some 'basic' knives that beg for a better handle)

What about something like Yoshikane SKD or Tanaka?

My gut feel is that the more 'traditional' Japanese knives are better suited with more traditional handles material-wise (Ho wood, burnet chestnut), or at least less 'pompous' custom handle. Also remember - that custom handle is going to be heavier (sometimes considerably) than a simple ho wood handle and will alter the weight distribution of a knife.

My first choice would be a collaboration between Dave M and Stefan. It's an all American knife and they have a good working relationship.

Second choice would be a pro line Watanabe. Just ask them to not attach the handle.

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I was trying to see if I can "score" a knife here on the BST.

I'd like to keep it somewhere in the $300-350 range though, as I will get the bill(s) soon for a custom spree I went on last year...

Dalman and Tilman Leder here, Mert and Marko coming soon, Haburn starts in a couple of weeks... #gulp

I understand now. I would not let the Tamahagane go, however, If you were interested in the Tesshu, it is virtually new and has a saya that I ordered from Takeshi san when I bought it at aframestokyo last Fall. We can work something out lower than the upper limit of your budget. Send me a PM if you want to consider it. It is a great knife and a very interesting combination of a gyuto and a single bevel. I like it very much, however, I am saving for a Haburn and this would make it closer to happen. Let me know

I understand now. I would not let the Tamahagane go, however, If you were interested in the Tesshu, it is virtually new and has a saya that I ordered from Takeshi san when I bought it at aframestokyo last Fall. We can work something out lower than the upper limit of your budget. Send me a PM if you want to consider it. It is a great knife and a very interesting combination of a gyuto and a single bevel. I like it very much, however, I am saving for a Haburn and this would make it closer to happen. Let me know

That's a single bevel though, right? ... (saving for a Haburn is a noble goal ... I should get started saving ... LOL, I am up soon. He already has the handle wood and ferrule material)....

I would second Watanabe, though it may have some of the features you didn't like about the Shigefusa.

I'm trying to think of tall thin knives, as that seems to be what you like. If you can dig up a Sakai Yusuke with a KS profile on BST you might like that. An actual KS might feel too short for your taste. Another option would be one of those AS/stainless jobs that JKI carries, starts with an I or a wa Kagero.

Or maybe the blue steel Ichimonji that Len is selling. That used to be mine and is a great knife. That honyaki laser monzaburo might also fit your needs. I'd bet Len would negotiate. You can just buy me that honyaki Watanabe as a finders fee. I'll PM you my address.

PM sent on a knife you mentioned you wanted (Konosuke Fuji blue #2).

Or maybe the blue steel Ichimonji that Len is selling. That used to be mine and is a great knife. That honyaki laser monzaburo might also fit your needs. I'd bet Len would negotiate. You can just buy me that honyaki Watanabe as a finders fee. I'll PM you my address.

I still have your address [emoji6]

I went back to look at that Monzaburo honyaki and it would be perfect, but it looks like Len sold it already.

Back