Looking for a recommendation on a silver skin knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently I had Mac Filet knife that was damaged beyond repair. It has a very flexible thin blade. You could easily bend it 90 degrees from side to side all day. I never used it for fish much, but really liked it for cleaning up silver skin. You could wiggle that little tip and slide it around almost feeling the tendons/silver/sinu...

I'm curious what others use. I have a semi-flexy HD 210 and a 150 Gonbi petty that I do not like for meat cleanup. What do you use for this task? I appreciate the FB.

DP

I've been using an F. Dick Flex 150 that I'm not completely satisfied with so I just picked up a Silverthorn boning knife and while it's not flexible I think I'm going to really like the shape.

View attachment 31656

150 - 180 mm petty with more pronounced belly towards the tip works fine for me. But I prefer stiff blade to flexible one. We have Yoshikane SLD 150mm petty that I often use for this purpose.

Forschner boner...I don't have the skills to use (read as can't sharpen) a very flexible knife but this works well for me.

I've been using an F. Dick Flex 150 that I'm not completely satisfied with so I just picked up a Silverthorn boning knife and while it's not flexible I think I'm going to really like the shape.

View attachment 31656

Made by a couple of locals huh. I'm actually going to roses this weekend. I'll see if the knife is still in use. Thanks all that posted input. Dave B you crack me up.

Pesky, Intriguing shape. Do you have one or have you used one? I know you know your stuff but just cause its a fancy steel doesn't mean its done well. Is the knife stiff or flexible? They look nice but there really isn't much data on them.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/kalahari-sportsman/

Good Steel and a nice shape that allows it to be sharpened through the heel. It won't break the bank.

I wanted a Phil Wilson but couldn't justify the cost. I bought this after looking all over and really liked it. Everything rusts, and so did this knife. But it cleans up good (rust was topical) and really holds an edge. I like the handle too. Unfortunately, I left it on a buddy's boat so I won't see it until probably June.

Oh yeah, to your question about flexibility. ..it's flexible, but I would say its stiffer than my old Gerber.

The heat treat was okay. It kept a tough edge, but wouldn't stay crazy sharp.

Old vintage soft steel carbon knives work great for that particular task. In fact you can get a cheapy Old Hickory for 9$ that will work great, buy three...sharpen up, they are soft steel but will bite and make the task a bit easier.

A toothy edge and soft carbon for silver skin works fine, ain't no reason to get a fancy 100-200$ knife if you don't care about bling. Also it's nice to have disposable tools which can be lost or stolen.

lots of choices for that in my kit but lately I've been enjoying breaking down pork cushion with an aritsugu a-type 180 petty. It did need a few hours work to get it performing at a comfortable level though.

Back