Ginrei: the new uber knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augerpro

Reaction score
Ever since I decided I was tired of keeping up the iron cladding on my Shig I've been trying to find a replacement that has a similar balance of qualities: thin behind the edge, right profile, some weight. I've tried a number of knives, but the ones worth mentioning are Itinomonn, Kochi, Kagekiyo, and Tanaka R2. All very good knives, but eventually I settled on the Tanaka as my go-to knife., but it was so light I hadn't stopped my search. I tried some wide bevels to get that combination of thin behind the edge but with some weight, and the best was the Kagekiyo. But have come to not like the downsides of wide bevels which are wedging and steering on certain foods. The Ginrei at JKI seemed promising so I picked a 210mm one up a month ago.

I REALLY like this knife. The picture exagerates the belly I think. It is similar to a Tanaka, true, but with a lower nose, or maybe just a different angle on the handle, so it doesn't feel like a big belly knife. Behind the edge it similar to my Kagekiyo, so thin but not Tanaka R2 thin. Tip is a little thicker though, like an Itinomonn (the Kagekiyo, Kochi, and Tanaka all have very thin tips) It gets thicker as you go up so there is some wieght here (161g), in fact, almost as heavy as my Shig (166g). The overall effect is a knife that goes through food pretty darn well, but with good weight for chopping. Sort of behaves like a wide bevel knife with really wide bevels - the least wedging and steering wide bevel you've ever used.

Steel is not stainless but with just a squidge of chrome it just takes a slight patina over time, no reactivity with food or the scary orange coloring I'd get on my Shig.

Food release seems pretty good, onions stick to the side but even a little flick will drop them off.

All in all a really good balance of properties. I would recommend this to any knife nut.

Two nits. First is the handle. I actually really like rough ho wood D handles like Shig so I'm no snob, but these smooth ho wood handles on so many knives are pretty meh. Given how often Jon uses the burnt chestnut I'd like to see that. The second is I would happily give up a couple grams to be just slightly thinner behind the edge, especially at the tip. But then I'm trying to find a laser that weighs like a workhorse, so that is probably my own misguided preference!

Hey Brandon,
Thanks for the review! I was waiting for someone to report on these. I was really close to buying one when they came out but I'm moving to LA soon enough so I figured I'd wait and pick one out in person. i really like the high grind with the little bit of KU, looks pretty well made in all regards.
Cheers
Matteo

Thanks for the feedback - the Ginrei knives caught my attention already. if I am not mistaken these are the first US made knives Jon has ever offered. That must mean something as Jon would not offer some semi-good product. If I were in a market for a gyuto today, these would be on my shortlist.

And here I thought all long standing forum members were always in the market for a good wa gyuto.

The Billipp I have cost me close to first-born, so unless I would make that very improbable decision to sell it, I am not getting another one. Not that I would not want to try one (I love passarounds), but I do not want to push it :)

EDIT: AND I am slowly preparing my wife for that 2x72 grinder :)

Two things I like the look of on these is the wider/fatter machi, I've gotten used to that on my Katos and really prefer it to a skinny little tang, as well as the extra heel height that i think Jon may have encouraged the maker to put in the profile. Just for reference a 210 G Ginga comes w 42mm v the 50 on this Ginrei.

What's the thing that looks like a box but is too short to hold the thing?

Two things I like the look of on these is the wider/fatter machi, I've gotten used to that on my Katos and really prefer it to a skinny little tang, as well as the extra heel height that i think Jon may have encouraged the maker to put in the profile. Just for reference a 210 G Ginga comes w 42mm v the 50 on this Ginrei.

You mean the neck? That's the emoto.

jbladeant.jpg

How did I miss this review? I searched for info about ginrei for like a year before I bought one. Great write up. The only thing I would disagree on would be the handle, I like it quite a bit. I just thinned the crap outta my ginrei today, can’t wait to bring it to work tomorrow.

I have 2 Ginrei's already and I've been staring at that 290mm on the site and lusting. I'm so close to pulling the trigger. I absolutely love them, they are solid performers, great f/f, and a pleasure to sharpen.

I have a 240 (243 cutting edge). It's different than most of my other knives in that it has very little distal taper. The tip thins out because the high grind intersects the spine, starting about 3cm from the tip.

It is a very sturdy, heavy knife that favors a strong and confident user. It's a beast in all the right ways.

jon i have a question regarding the edge guards.
will the 240 fit a 250 edge length blade or will some of the blade be protruding out? i normally use the felt lined dexter ones and they barely fit a 250 but still covers.
or would getting the 270-300 one and cutting it down be the better route?

will the 240 fit a 250 edge length blade or will some of the blade be protruding out? i normally use the felt lined dexter ones and they barely fit a 250 but still covers.

https://imgur.com/a/nwH61a1

I would get a 270mm+

These edge guards are also super tight FWIW. I feel there's definitely a break-in period and I'm not even sure I could get the Mazaki in the 240mm guard.

Where are the Ginrei blades made? JKI just says not in Japan. What level of heat treatment?

Where are the Ginrei blades made? JKI just says not in Japan. What level of heat treatment?
Made in New Mexico by Sheehan Prull
The blades are heat treated in house in lab-grade electric kilns after being preheated by eye in charcoal. Target hardness is 60 - 62.
http://www.shihanfineknives.com

i have a 52100 kurouchi 135mm petty...sweet knife!

they are ~255mm in length, so you should be ok... it will be tight though.

Latest posts

Back