• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Special Shigefusa 270mm Gyuto/Suji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheflivengood

Reaction score
Hello KKF!

So this is I knife I bought over a year ago and I used the hell out of it. Eventually I discovered an over grind (!?Shigefusa?!) that caused a dip in the edge. I sent her off to the man himself, Jon Broida, For a dramatic thinning that turned the knife into a Gyuto/sujihiki. The Grind of the knife is now very similar to a kagekiyo, VERY subtle convex, but almost flat bevels that transition into a subtle S between the shinogi and spine. I took it from there and hand sanded out the grind lines (some still slightly visible for a rustic look). Then I began experimenting with etching the blade, using shellac to protect the areas I didn't want the etchent to touch. It came out beautifully, the cladding is slightly matte, with very visable "clouds", and the core steel is close to mirror (7k paper finish). Due to the etching the cladding is much more resistant to patina. Comes with a saya that does NOT fit snugly due to the thinning, but is better than nothing. This knife is scary sharp, scary thin, and now a nice little show piece. $600 USA All included, international to be negotiated

https://www.instagram.com/p/BE1nv5rP3rL/?taken-by=cheflivengood

20160430_144946.jpg

20160430_144844.jpg

20160430_145033.jpg

20160430_145129.jpg

It looks amazing - you did quite some elaborate work on it. I think that potential buyer could be interested in height edge length (is it still 270mm?) and maybe weight. GLWS.

this would be on the taller side of a suji, put I use it as a slicer and gyuto.

ugh, if you posted this last week i would have taken it, but i already ordered a heiji suji.

could you please tell us more about the etching you did?

Also curious what you used to etch and the process =)

Thanks

Just saw it push cut the news print on IG. I'm floored as to why you would ever let it go.

Demessions as follows (+/- .25mm for the fact I/m using a tape measure)

width over heal: 3mm
width 2" from tip: 1.25 mm
Height at heal: 46mm
heal to tip: 273mm

What etching agent did you use? Didn't see that on the instagram post.

The knife looks AMAZING btw!

What I did Was remove the handle, hand sanded 220/300/400/600/800/1k/3k/5k/7k. Cleaned it with acetone, used a q-tip to trace the cladding with shellac with a 1mm buffer, let it dry. Quick etchent then repolished with 7k paper, acetone the shellac off . Stroped on a diamond 800 from jon (yes the special ones) and then stropped on nakayama rainbow(yes that one) and stropped on news paper. re handled really easy and then gravity push cut newspaper like it was nothing. the edge I have on it is very steep. but in one week I portioned #800 of raw chicken, and few hundred pounds of veggies with no chipping.

What I did Was remove the handle, hand sanded 220/300/400/600/800/1k/3k/5k/7k. Cleaned it with acetone, used a q-tip to trace the cladding with shellac with a 1mm buffer, let it dry. Quick etchent then repolished with 7k paper, acetone the shellac off . Stroped on a diamond 800 from jon (yes the special ones) and then stropped on nakayama rainbow(yes that one) and stropped on news paper. re handled really easy and then gravity push cut newspaper like it was nothing. the edge I have on it is very steep. but in one week I portioned #800 of raw chicken, and few hundred pounds of veggies with no chipping.

That shellac tracing you did gives this knife a very unique and stunning look! I'm going to have to try this. I absolutely love it!

That shellac tracing you did gives this knife a very unique and stunning look! I'm going to have to try this. I absolutely love it!

thanks man. Check my instagram for a gessin hide I did without the shellac, pretty cool still. Like a reverse kasumi.

This must be some kind of double bevel Shig record on BST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back