Digital Calipers?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolidSnake03

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on a fairly cheap digital caliper to check knife thickness. I'm kinda a nerd and want to start looking more into actual measurements for things like how thick a knife is say 5mm from edge, 10mm from edge etc...

Think it will be a fun project to start learning more about this myself and was hoping for advice on a good affordable digital caliper to start with. Thanks!

if you have a harbor freight nearby, they areoffer ones that are both solid and inexpensive

Digital calliper has precesion of 0.01mm - IMO sufficcient for the job (I have one and use it for this very purpose). The disadvantage of the micrometer is that it has 2 relatively large flat surfaces - not optimally suited to knife bevel which is angles. I also think that would be easier to damage the edge with the micrometer if not careful.

I bought this one, it works great:
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B01ALMZCRW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! Turns out there is a Harbor Freight maybe 10min from my apartment, never knew that! I will be sure to stop there first and if I for some reason don't get one there than I'll get one of those off Amazon.

Thanks again kkf :)

Have plenty of good options, these are all fairly inexpensive too so that's perfect.

I picked up a cheap Titan from the hardware store, and felt like batman all the time:

[video=youtube;xFQuoB0cO34]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFQuoB0cO34[/video]

Ended up getting a used Brown & Sharpe vernier caliper on the bay and like it very much, except I need bifocals. (They are way too expensive new.) One thing to consider with a dial--you might not have both inches and millimeters on the display. Just something to keep in mind. And it might not re-zero if you drop your tools.

Ended up at Harbor Freight and got a decent one for $12, I'm happy with it :)

Back