• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Three 240 Gyutos: Kono Fuji W1 KU Sakura, Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura B2, Yoshikane SLD Damascus

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Knives for Sale May 2016

I’m offering a number of knives here to help me fund some incoming knives, mostly customs. Many of these for sale used to be my “keeper” knives”—they are really some of my favorites. But as I’m moving up the chain, I’ve decided that: 1) if I’m going to pay a large amount of money for a knife like a custom, I better use it, and 2) these knives being offered here are too valuable and too good to sit in the drawer to be used as very occasional backups.

All prices include paypal fees and shipping in the U.S.

Konosuke Fujiyama White #1 Kurouchi finish Sakura pattern 240mm gyuto with yew and buffalo horn handle, with original Konosuke saya, asking $330. This is one of my favorite knives to reach for and use. I find this a great size (it’s a bit shorter than its nominal length, typical for Konosuke), not too long, not too short, just right. I don’t think the sakura pattern or the kurouchi finish are typical offerings, so this is a good chance to get a unique knife. Great Kono Fuji grind finish, with nicely rounded spine and choil. Sharpens so easily, and edge retention is fine for home use. A quick strop was generally all that I needed to do to bring it back to screaming sharpness. Original handle made of yew wood, which I find more interesting than ho. I will say that the KU finish is not the most durable (which I learned when I was cleaning up some of the early patina with Bar Keeper’s Friend, and realized it lightened the KU finish a bit). I think it probably gives the knife a bit more character, the way a pair of jeans needs a number of washings to get that broken in look and feel. Comes with original box and standard Konosuke saya (I believe it’s made of magnolia/ho). Haven’t had this one as long as the others, sharpened once or twice. A quick strop on hard felt or leather was very effective in bringing this edge back to top performance. Approximate measurements: cutting edge length 229mm, heel height 50mm, weight 161g.

Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura Blue #2 wide bevel 240mm gyuto, upgraded gidgee/horn/nickel spacer handle, with custom curly claro walnut saya, asking $475 Beautiful knife, great figure in the gidgee handle. Very, very thin behind the edge, cuts really well. Black horn and nickel silver spacers. Note: the metal spacers are a bit proud of the surrounding material. I’ve found this to not matter at all in use (I could actually make the argument that it slightly improves the grip), but it is a characteristic of the handle.
I made the curly claro walnut saya (with basswood center) for this knife when I made about a dozen different sayas for various blades. Wood is from Burlsource, and it has beautiful grain and figure, which I think are a great complement to the gorgeous handle. This is my favorite saya that I made. I almost kept the saya, but since it was made for this blade, I think it’s better if it stays with the knife. It’s not perfect, but it protects the blade well, and looks great doing so. I got caught up in my overseas move and didn’t get to drill a hole for the pin—will include a pin. Works as a friction fit saya for now. Sharpened a couple times. Approximate measurements: cutting edge length 232mm, heel height 51mm, weight 247g.

Yoshikane Damascus SLD 240 gyuto, enru and marbled horn handle, custom granadillo saya, asking $475 Great cutter, great grind, beautiful blade and handle, outstanding edge retention. Handle made of very nice marbled buffalo horn and enru wood. Another “keeper” I’m letting go because of an incoming custom. Comes with saya made of granadillo (and basswood center). Notes: the horn and wood on the handle are not totally even, but were never anything I felt compelled to work on—it’s a very minor issue. Also, the blade coming out of the handle is a bit thicker than I accounted for when making the saya, so the blade does not quite go all the way into the saya (see pics—it’s only the last few mm). Didn’t get to drill a hole for the pin in the saya, but I will include a pin so you can finish it yourself (though it currently works fine with a friction fit). It came really sharp, and held that edge well, so I think I only sharpened it once. Approximate measurements: cutting edge length 244mm, heel height 49mm, weight 190g.

ABOUT SHIPPING:
I’m currently living overseas, but have timed this sale to be just before a trip home to the U.S. So, my proposal is that I will bring any knives that are sold home with me, and mail them from the U.S. Target ship date will be Saturday, May 14th, the day after I arrive. I’m only interested in carrying these knives with me on my travels if buyers are fully committed, meaning that I am requesting payment as soon as possible to secure your claim for a knife. I could ship the knives sooner from here, but you a) would probably not receive it any sooner, and b) given the long distance, shipping would not be as reliable. If anyone is interested in purchasing and plans to attend the East Coast Gathering on May 15th, PM me and we will try to work something out.

Pics below in same order as knives are listed above. I'm never quite sure the correct way to insert photos . . . sigh

P1080240.jpg

P1080241.jpg

P1080246.jpg

P1080258.jpg

P1080260.jpg

P1080263.jpg

P1080264.jpg

P1080267.jpg

P1080273.jpg

P1080276.jpg

Knives for Sale May 2016

Pics below in same order as knives are listed above. I'm never quite sure the correct way to insert photos . . . sigh

I'd say you nailed it. Some great stuff there Todd and a very thorough/lucid post. GLWS

Okay, one more price drop to help these sell:

Konosuke Fujiyama White #1: Now $290
Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura Wide Bevel Blue #2 with upgraded ringed gidgee handle and custom curly claro walnut saya : Now $425
Yoshikane SLD Damascus with custom granadillo saya: Now $425

Also, in case anyone has reservations because I live overseas, I have been a member here for awhile, and have had numerous sales on here (some since I have moved overseas). There are a number of people who could vouch for me.

I'm really hoping to get these to sell, and think these are some truly good deals for some great knives at this point.

“overseas” as in europe? Would you ship to europe with this price?

Sorry, no, I'm not in Europe. I would be willing to ship worldwide if the buyer would cover the additional shipping costs. However, I have little to no experience doing so. On previous sales, I've had overseas buyers express interest and say they would cover the shipping costs, but it has always turned out to be higher than what they expected, and that was the end of the discussion (on numerous occasions, I might add). So, if anyone in Australia, Europe, or somewhere else has some serious interest, and could give some suggestions on shipping, I'm open to them.

Okay, one last shot to try to get these to move. Prices good for the next day and a half or so, and then this sale will be put on hold:
Konosuke Fujiyama White #1 240mm gyuto: Now $270
Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura Blue #2 240mm gyutowith upgraded ringed gidgee handle and custom curly claro walnut saya : Now $399

Three beautiful knives but Konosuke Fujiyama is my favorite followed by the Syousin Sakura. The price for the Konosuke is pretty crazy. Where to get the funds....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back