Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saya, block or drawer?

Saya, block or drawer?

So how do you guys store your knife?

Is it easier to grab the one in the block, or do you store them in a drawer? I have my habits and know who I grab for usually

I buy sayas for pretty much all my knives. I have to take them to work so they're pretty practical and they look nice too.

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
    I find I ignore my knives if they don't go on my magnetic knife rack. The biggest blade that fits is normally a 210mm, because of cupboard clearance. I hadn't thought of this before, but maybe that's why I prefer 210s over 240s.

I have a combination of all 3, looking to pick up a magnetic rack any suggestions? Then I can do away with the block or get some knives out of the drawer creating more space

I have 2 magnetic racks, but we really did not provide good locations for them during the kitchen renovation. I'll likely be looking into a custom block from BoardSmith soon.

We do have a couple good drawers where I could store them, but I'm have not seen enough info on the slotted drawer inserts to determine if that is a good way to go. I saw some on the web site that belongs to a company of which we do not speaketh here on KKF, but they did not really seem tailered to 300 mm sujis

I made my own out of a solid piece of rosewood and some rare earth magnets.
    It took some experimenting with the magnets and a second order of them to get it right.
    I do have a couple heavy knives on there and I have had no problems.
    I've been extremely happy with it.http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/...c/IMG_3046.jpg

Custom knife rack from the Board Smith for me,helps free up counter space.

The only knives I have visible are the cleavers (2). I get a little creeped out about seeing a bunch of knives hanging on the wall or what ever. The rest are in drawers. (at work)

The few at home in a block. (They're rarely used)

A block from the Boardsmith.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    I got a Benchcrafted Mag-Blok. It's not nearly as high-test as I had hoped, but it works for the most part. Occasionally I just leave a knife on the board, in a little arrangement with fruits or veg.