Questions about steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisputt

Reaction score
So I've recently purchased a Masamoto Tsukiji 240 gyuto the steel is v1. I know that the steel is made from takefu not hitachi and I've got some questions.
Does anyone know how long the edge retention of the steel is(btw mine is 61hrc if that helps)?
Does it compare to a steel made by hitachi (to blue steel white steel etc.)?
Finally what are your views on the steel?

Thanks

There would be a very subtle difference between Takefu V1 and Hitachi Aogami 1. I mean they are essentially the same thing... I personally wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

You'd find a much wider variance in the knives due to the individual makers heat-treatments and sharpening angles rather than in the steels themselves, even if they were at the same hardness.

qtHX4Dn.png

I'm getting the same knife brought over by a friend from Tokyo. How does yours perform?

There would be a very subtle difference between Takefu V1 and Hitachi Aogami 1. I mean they are essentially the same thing... I personally wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

You'd find a much wider variance in the knives due to the individual makers heat-treatments and sharpening angles rather than in the steels themselves, even if they were at the same hardness.
You're looking at the wrong steel, if OP is correct in calling it V1 (not V-Toku 1 or V1 Special)
http://www.e-tokko.com/v1_v2.htm

V-Toku 1 and 2 are like cousins of Aogami, but V1 and V2 are simpler.

Your second point still stands though.

Hi, thisisputt! From what i've got from this video, Jon says (8:40) the edge retention of V2 is between the edge retention of white #2 and blue #2 (that is, better than w#2 and worse than b#2). I imagine the same happens with V1 versus w#1 and b#1. Heat treatment etc not taken into account, of course.

[video=youtube;jkLsLst8qMc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkLsLst8qMc[/video]

i've found v1 to be a bit more difficult to sharpen, more brittle, and a bit more difficult to get as sharp when compared to blue #1 (based on about 4-5 knives that i've tried in v1 from 3 makers)

i've found v1 to be a bit more difficult to sharpen, more brittle, and a bit more difficult to get as sharp when compared to blue #1 (based on about 4-5 knives that i've tried in v1 from 3 makers)

Does V1 have any benefits over Blue #1?

Does V1 have any benefits over Blue #1?

i guess i shouldnt be making blanket statements about a steel, but so far, of the ones i've tried, i've preferred blue #1. There arent many knives out there in v1 though (or at least not widely available)

Back