Shun Hana

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonestter

Reaction score
What do you think?

I think a bit gimmicky, but at least no thick cladding. Wonder what it would cut like? Profile looks Ok to me

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shun/...um=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=

35152.jpg

Looks to me like a super over priced version of there dual core, which is a nice line if you can find them discounted. But totally not worth the price tag.

Theyre kind of retarded, the price is for the high end market and sadly except for there F&F there knives arent of the level that suites that pricetag....

To me it looks like a cross breed of a shampoo bottle and a manga comic.
Shame, still like my 8 inch classic for its finish and comfort (and for luring me down the rabbit hole). Much classier looking than this.

The Shun that's worth 600 bucks (to me) has not even been thought of. But they'll sell a few to their target market.

If only I didn't spend my knife allowance on a new Kato Kikuryu. :justkidding:

The Shun that's worth 600 bucks (to me) has not even been thought of. But they'll sell a few to their target market.

They had a nice product placement move with Jeffery Deaver (hope he charged them a lot). It was via his book that I first heard of Japanese Knives, he put an incredibly artistic description of the knife the villain used as a tool of trade. I then started looking up and found the rabbit hole.

And yes, they will find their target audience.

Do they employ actual craftsmen to create this? Per the description: "Handcrafted in Japan"

Any chance that they actually use one of the skilled artisans we all love to make these?

I actually like the look of the blade. If this was vg-10 and vg-2 with a decent core material I might of looked twice. Again $600 is about double what I'd pay even with a decent core material. If they remake this at $300 and toss in a zdp or as or hap40 or r2 core, I'd think about it.

I think a wa handle and a $300 price tag would make this knife very much worth a try.

Well, when I first saw it, I found the knife to be 'interesting' having what I thought to be the closest production true core Damascus blade construction, and a departure from the usual san-mai plastic feeling Damascus Shun's

The profile looked decent too. Not sure about the handle, or the price, which I hadn't even looked at

12798058_194130290962777_503424681_n.jpg

What did yall peeps actually thought of the 2 core steel, does it actually make a different function wise?

anyway what's with the weird coils on the handle, looks bit out of place

What did yall peeps actually thought of the 2 core steel, does it actually make a different function wise?

No, not really.

There have been discussions on the possibility of micro-serrations due to different wear rates, but you'd need to be cutting VERY abrasive things for this to actually be a factor.

Do they employ actual craftsmen to create this? Per the description: "Handcrafted in Japan"

Any chance that they actually use one of the skilled artisans we all love to make these?

It's probably not "one of the skilled artisans we all love". There's probably a manual step or two in the attachment of the handle.

VG10, pakka wood and mass production for $600. Yeah, I get two :rolleyes2: The blade profile does look interesting though.

Back