Quantcast
Have you seen this type of filleting knife?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you seen this type of filleting knife?

Have you seen this type of filleting knife?

It looks to me it was converted from some sort of chefs knife. Very effective, despite the odd shape, but it also might be because of the person using it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBZd9...eature=related

Can you guys give a little critique on this knife? Shape, geometry, for instance. Past experience filleting fish would be preferable.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    ...but it also might be because of the person using it.
    M
    Skills trump tools almost every time.
    Looks like some kind of ground down Forschner or D/R.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Btw, did you see in this video of his those floaty white knife sharpening things? I wonder if that blade shape is just the result of using that gadget for a long time?

Master Filleter

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Btw, did you see in this video of his those floaty white knife sharpening things?
    Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Now when my girlfriend makes me take a bath with her, I won't get bored!

I think it's a Forschner Fillet knife, ground down from running it through that blasted contraption every 5 minutes.

http://www.tackletogo.com/fofikn8bostb.html

Looks like Sam Salvati's knife. But....it's probably a ground down Forschner or generic equivalent.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Now when my girlfriend makes me take a bath with her, I won't get bored!

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Btw, did you see in this video of his those floaty white knife sharpening things? I wonder if that blade shape is just the result of using that gadget for a long time?

Master Filleter

k.
    Hi.. I doubt it. It is a V shaped honing device; unless it is a tungsten carbide version, then it would really remove steel ( sharpening). Looks like a F Dick version??

I've never seen a floating one before but that probably makes sense in a commercial fish cleaning operation. It looks like the double hardened steel rods set an angle with springs to give them tension type "butcher's steel" several companies sell to meat packing companies. As such, it wouldn't take any more metal off than a standard polished steel. I have a couple around here I've tried in the past. They work about as well as any polished steel for quick touch-ups.

+ Reply to Thread