Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How To Make a Chinese Cleaver

I just placed an order for 3 different sizes and a waterstone. I had my friend whose first language is Chinese (lived in Taiwan till she was 18) complete the checkout for me and she said it was complicated hahaah

If anyone is interested in buying one, I'll only charge price + shipping for it =)

Thinking about maybe doing a passaround with one of them also?

That makes me feel better. Setting up a username and password wasn't too hard but filling in the rest of it was all in Chinese that I couldn't make it through. Oh well, like I need another cleaver. The funny thing is I have ordered cleavers through that website a few years ago without too many problems.

I'd be interested in the smallest slicer if the steel turns out to be good. Did I see correctly in the video that the cleaver is actually sanmai?

It was hard for my friend to navigate the menus as some of them have 100+ options (example is phone country code) and no real way to sort through them. Even knowing what to look for it was difficult to select the right things.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle Soup View Post
    That makes me feel better. Setting up a username and password wasn't too hard but filling in the rest of it was all in Chinese that I couldn't make it through. Oh well, like I need another cleaver. The funny thing is I have ordered cleavers through that website a few years ago without too many problems.

It's not that bad...but not intuitive really, imo.

My order processed and seems to be in shipping now.

Well they weren't kidding when they wrote the 19*10cm cleaver was 500g. Constant 5mm at the spine. The edge has a big divot in it and needs pretty thorough regrinding, but it might be a good exercise tool. It's one of the varigrind knives where the tip should be thinner and the heel a bit thicker. Difference isn't huge on mine, as both are way thick.

Don't have my camera handy...so just a choil shot...lol.

Luckily I have very decent local knives...

It says "3cr13" in the subtitles where the metal rods are shown in the beginning, had me think "oh no, who bothers hand forging that?" ... but then it becomes clear it is warikomi, nothing in roman letters that hints at what is used for the inner layer though ;(

Just looking for an update on how your knives turned out Mike and if you had any issues with shipping. I've been thinking of ordering from TaoBao but never wanted to pull the trigger.