Rosewood Burl - Extra Large Blocks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I just posted a small batch of new Rosewood Burl Blocks in my web store at www.BurlSource.com.
These are old stock Rosewood burl so the wood is dry and ready to use.
This is untreated wood. It has not been chemically stabilized. My opinion is that I like this wood better not chemically stabilized.

Click on the photo if you would like to go to the store to see what is still available.

Wow Mark, you are going to make me go broke lol.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but since you seem very knowledgable on the topic…
I know they say that the denser hardwoods do not benefit from stabilization (such as ironwood, African Blackwood, and I imagine HRB), but would there be any benefit (or harm) to stabilizing anyways? I've also heard that some woods cannot be stabilized at all? I had a quick look online and couldn't find the technical info I was hoping to.

Up here in canada the seasonal changes can cause a significant fluctuation in humidity and temperature, so am almost thinking that I should maybe have my order shipped to K&G before I have the blocks used. I'd imagine if I was in a more temperate climate I would probably be okay, but I had a Zwilling-Kramer with the African Blackwood scales arrive fine and in a matter of a few months the scales had shrunk and the rivets and tang were protruding. It's fairly common knowledge that this was a constant problem with the ZK knives, but I'd hate to have it happen with the HRB.

Fantastic HRB Mark. Some really first rate figure on this stuff.

Anyone on my list waiting that wants this stuff on there knife. I welcome the opportunity.. PM me for shipping info. Or tell Mark to send the piece this way. Hes got my address. LOL :)

I caved and bought another block even though I already have two from before. I got an interesting one with a lot of and heartwood/sapwood, almost made me think of an inverted image on the reverse side.

Anyone else having issues with the PayPal checkout option? Fortunately I was able to work it out

Hi Randy - sent you a PM regarding this ... could be very, very interesting indeed!

Anyone on my list waiting that wants this stuff on there knife. I welcome the opportunity.. PM me for shipping info. Or tell Mark to send the piece this way. Hes got my address. LOL :)

I am a weak man! Sorry for taking advantage of your free shipping offer twice in less than a week.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but since you seem very knowledgable on the topic…
I know they say that the denser hardwoods do not benefit from stabilization (such as ironwood, African Blackwood, and I imagine HRB), but would there be any benefit (or harm) to stabilizing anyways? I've also heard that some woods cannot be stabilized at all? I had a quick look online and couldn't find the technical info I was hoping to.
Up here in canada the seasonal changes can cause a significant fluctuation in humidity and temperature, so am almost thinking that I should maybe have my order shipped to K&G before I have the blocks used.

I have had batches of Rosewood burl stabilized in the past and in my opinion I felt it was better not stabilized. With the rosewood being such an oily wood the colors can get muddy and the stabilized block can weep for months.

Thanks Randy and thanks to the rest of you as well.

Back