Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDalman

Unsupportive Member
Reaction score
Ok I have a signup thread going on the other forum but I'm moving it over here and look to get this started soon.

If everyone signed up on the other forum is still in, there are seven spots left.
I have decided to send out a 240 aeb-l gyuto and it's going to be handled with something I feel represent my work well. That probably means a natural wood based handle.

Rules/guidelines:

Use knife for a week and send it to next person in line. Ask next person for address via PM
Insure the package for 4000 sek.
You may sharpen the knife if you know what you are doing.
You are responsible to pack it well and post it to the next member in line. Ask pass around starter or next member in line for address.
Don't abuse knife for (no chop on glass/plate/etc, no dish washer, don't leave carbon knife wet, don't force patina etc).
Keep pass around starter informed about location and tracking number via PM after shipping the knife.
Please provide some feedback either in this thread of via PM to pass around starter

Count me in Robin :)

Quick question - is this EU or Worldwide passaround? I am asking since "importing" the knife back to EU may with rather high probability mean that whoever will be on the receiving side will be requested to pay import duties. Personal experience :)

This is international, and I'm thinking to set it up so we start in eu, and go on maybe an aus trip from there, then US and last back to me. That way I get the risk of import duty.

That is indeed a good idea. You will not need to pay import duties, because you own the knife :)

I'm in on the other forum so figured I might as well add myself here too :D

Want to make sure I don't miss out on this one!

This is international, and I'm thinking to set it up so we start in eu, and go on maybe an aus trip from there, then US and last back to me. That way I get the risk of import duty.

A suggestion. Have the knife marked "Return for warranty repair" when it is sent back to you. That should preclude import duties.

A suggestion. Have the knife marked "Return for warranty repair" when it is sent back to you. That should preclude import duties.

This works between Canada and the USA and vice versa, I've sent knives fully insured to the USA to be worked on and then returned. I do not recommend under-valuing/insuring as a workaround. I have to keep track of paperwork (original export tracking info), but worst case is any duty/tax paid has been refunded upon export, just not the processing fee if done with Canada Post, part of the reason I love the couriers :cool2: (who normally those who rely on them to do their customs work). I can't see why a similar approach wouldn't work elsewhere. One thing I was told by a CBSA official is that it has to go between the original importer and exporter (at least from a Canadian perspective), so not sure how the pass around aspect would influence that.

Depending on the check boxes as "reason for export", there may also be a "sample" as opposed to "sale of goods", "merchandise", or "repair/warranty"

I'm in Canada too if I can join the fun.

I'm in from Australia land.... Aussied if you want to join in i would be keen to set up a group to share the OS shipping cost between us so the final person doesn't get stung

Nice! I'm thrilled interest is high. It's probably safe to say the seven spots that was remaining are filled. Depending on where you guys are maybe we'll extend it to include everyone. I'll compile the list later today.

I'll get to this after some sleep. It turned into a long day in the shop and I don't feel my head is up to it right now.

Ok the list:

EU
1 Matus, germany
2 Aphex, UK
OZ
3 Alex Armstrong
4 Scotchef38
5 Kippington
6 Malexthekid
7 Ecchef (location?)
Canada
8 Godslayer
9 Jessf
US
10 Mike (mrmnmns)
11 Mikedtran
12 Cheflarge
13 deltaplex
14 Chuckles
15 Solidsnake
16 MattS
17 brainsausage
18 Chinacats
19 El pescador
20 Daveb
21 Strumke
22 mc2442

If I missed you, or you don't want in anymore, let me know. or if there someone with different nicks on the forums... Is the US travel route good, or should we switch around some to have a better geographical route to save on shipping time? If so I'd appreciate help with that because I'm not good with where all the states are located.
For the US tour Mike have offered to send along the first passaround knife, that way you get to compare for a bit. That sounds good?

It's a pretty long passaround, so PLEASE try to stay with the one week.
It will be running on both forums, so to get adress if it's crossing forums, feel free to go from me. Otherwise just pm next in line for adress.
PLEASE keep us posted where it's at :)
I'll try to have the knife out asap to Matus, it will be sent in 1-2 weeks.

There was a double.. Updated:

EU
1 Matus, germany
2 Aphex, UK
OZ
4 Scotchef38
5 Kippington
6 Malexthekid
7 Ecchef (location?)
Canada
8 Godslayer
9 Jessf
US
10 Mike (mrmnmns)
11 Mikedtran
12 Cheflarge
13 deltaplex
14 Chuckles
15 Solidsnake
16 MattS
17 brainsausage
18 Chinacats
19 El pescador
20 Daveb
21 Strumke
22 mc2442

If I missed you, or you don't want in anymore, let me know.

In my earlier post I was so busy rambling about customs/duty/tax that I forgot to say I'm interested, so if there's room for one more in Canada I wouldn't mind taking part, but if it's too late I understand.

Geographically I am between Godslayer and jessf, so I suppose 8.5 on the list.

Finally it is an advantage to live on the old continent :) I will be looking forward to hearing from you. I will PM you my addresses.

In my earlier post I was so busy rambling about customs/duty/tax that I forgot to say I'm interested, so if there's room for one more in Canada I wouldn't mind taking part, but if it's too late I understand.

Geographically I am between Godslayer and jessf, so I suppose 8.5 on the list.

7.5 number 3 is Australia.

EU
1 Matus, germany
2 Aphex, UK
OZ
4 Scotchef38
5 Kippington
6 Malexthekid
7 Ecchef (location?)
Canada
8 Godslayer
3 (;p) Tjangula
9 Jessf
US
10 Mike (mrmnmns)
11 Mikedtran
12 Cheflarge
13 deltaplex
14 Chuckles
15 Solidsnake
16 MattS
17 brainsausage
18 Chinacats
19 El pescador
20 Daveb
21 Strumke
22 mc2442

And concerning import/export shipping and stuff, feel free to be nice with each other on your continents/countries. Like sharing costs and stuff. Talk it out. I have mostly randomly put together the list.

Some things I want to add. Feel free to use the knife as your own, try not to mess it up a ton, but I don't want anyone be afraid of trying it out on the stones and scratch it. So scratches are generally OK! We're all quite different in terms of how we use and sharpen these tools, even though they may be very similar. I believe as long as the profile is not radically altered, the geometry of my knives are very "thinning friendly", so if you feel for laying it down on the stones; go ahead. To restore finish I'm thinking to include some rhynowet sandpaper and a eraser to wrap it around, and a rag and metal polish paste.

Last passaround(s) was a pretty good time imo, and I believe all participants but one have a knife from me or have one on the way.

Sweet! Glad I'm on there for the US one :) looking forward to it

Thanks Robin, appreciate it :thumbsup:

Regarding "import/export shipping and stuff" I can discuss with the CBSA next time I'm there the logistics of duty/tax given the nature of the pass around scenario and I can also get a discount for shipping within/from Canada if using Canada Post (should also be able to swing it so Godslayer and jessf can use unless they already have something similar)

I can help straighten out the states. Need location from MattS and Strumke first.

Back