Need Help finding a Saya

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuntforFood

Reaction score
The title says it all. I cannot for the life of me figure out where to get a Saya from. I need one for my Tanaka Blue #2 240mm. I have searched and searched but have come up empty and I am pretty sure I am just looking in the wrong places. Thank you all for the help!

At CKTG they have own line of Sayas. The Saya B has a thicker and taller slot. These are unfinished could even use sanding. I treat my sayas so no big deal. Picked one up for a thick spine knife, it fit with room to spare. I even tried my Tanaka pear finish 240mm that has a whopping 56mm at the heel it fit with about .5mm to spare. First saya I have seen that will fit the Tanaka pear finish.

If you want a tight fit you have to go custom. If you don't mind a looser fit the Saya B will work. You will need to sand & put a finish on it.

Jck universal saya fit my tanaka Ginsan 240 like a glove, however supposedly they are all handmade so different dimensions, ymmv. If it doesn't fit you're only out 20 something USD

Tanaka ginsan is about 1mm thinner at the spine than tanaka b#2 2.6mm vs 3.7 on mine. So it may not fit. There's a few guys who make cheapish sayas kicking around. Either that or knifewears blade guards are sick. They are lines with felt or something to not damage blade finishes etc.

Jck universal saya fit my tanaka Ginsan 240 like a glove, however supposedly they are all handmade so different dimensions, ymmv. If it doesn't fit you're only out 20 something USD

Their saya's are a good price. It might fit the Tanaka blue. I ordered two spine slot 3.63 on one & 3.67 on the other. My Tanaka was just too tall in the heel for the JCK that's alright can always use saya's for other knives. My forged blade is thick in neck area 5.28mm you see this on some hand forged knives. The saya B is 5.49mm at spine & 56.24 tall.

is this for real? I had always been under the impression that the b2 tanaka was like... a thin knife? but it's thicker??? weird.

is this for real? I had always been under the impression that the b2 tanaka was like... a thin knife? but it's thicker??? weird.

Yeah it's defiantly thicker. I gave the ginsanko one james sells to my mom for Christmas it's basically a lazer by comparison.

Thank you for the replies and I will most likely get the one that Kieth recommended. I will try my hand at making one myself when I have a little more free time as well!

I am getting here late, but I can second the CKTG Saya B should fit your Tanaka Blue#2. I purchase a Masakage Yuki Gyuto 210mm and received a CKTG Saya B with it and its pretty big the Masakage is measured at 3.4 at the spine and the knife fits with room to spare.

STqOaf0.jpg

FYI, all CKTG semi custom saya options are currently out of stock.

Back