Chefwear alternative

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dardeau

Reaction score
Anyone have some pants recommendations? It's getting to be that time and the last batch I ordered from Chefwear was not QCed at all and I had to send half back. They don't have to be chef pants but the do have to:

Breathe

Have two back pockets

Have a fly of some sort

Not look like they were owned by MC Hammer

Preferably not require a belt

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1463271433.009162.jpg

I work about two feet from this so they seriously have to breathe

Last at least one year of once weekly wear.

I've had similar experience with Chefwear as of late. I have a couple pair 2-3 years old that are still ticking. Every pair I've bought in last six months has blown a seam or pocket. Next ones will probably be something else.

have you tried scrubs? i have never really had these qc issues with my scrub pants... current ones are about 3 years old and starting to look hammer-ish however it's mostly because they've stretched over time. crotches show a little give in the hemming however I have yet to actually blow anything. Got stabbed in the leg with a wine bottle and the cut in the pants didn't fray or grow, and that was when I first got them. No fly tho. Very breathable. MOBB scrubs.

Bought a pair of the Dickies, day one, way too hot. It was 90 degrees in the pass today and those suckers don't breathe. Otherwise they are perfect, and look pretty good to.

I recently started wearing DC work chinos and I highly recommend them. They're a little under $30 on Amazon and are really comfortable. They have a little bit of stretch to them which really helps. They aren't draw string pants, but they're still super comfortable.

i have used lululemon pants for over a year now. They are breathable , flexible they don't hold on to stains and no they don't look like yoga pants . I was too against the idea at first but i have a crew of 5 chefs that swear on Lululemon pants nowadays . One problem . They are pricey as hell

Yu know the best technology for chefs would be if someone from Under Armour or Nike would make some gear for us too . I have tossed the idea in a couple of Under Armour people but they don't seem to get why would this make a whole new market segment .

Who knows , maybe one day?

i have used lululemon pants for over a year now. They are breathable , flexible they don't hold on to stains and no they don't look like yoga pants . I was too against the idea at first but i have a crew of 5 chefs that swear on Lululemon pants nowadays . One problem . They are pricey as hell

Yu know the best technology for chefs would be if someone from Under Armour or Nike would make some gear for us too . I have tossed the idea in a couple of Under Armour people but they don't seem to get why would this make a whole new market segment .

Who knows , maybe one day?
There's actually a chef pant thread somewhere on this forum where someone mentioned that the chef pants idea had been discussed by under armour higher ups but was quickly shot down. Honestly I don't even have any interest in any pants anymore that are marketed as "chef pants".

Isn't the sweat wicking sportswear stuff not really suited to a kitchen? At the end of day, all of them are basically varying blends of polyester and spandex, and if it should catch on a flame it'll melt onto you.

I remember reading a while back that the military banned that type of athletic wear for that reason - http://archive.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=15478

I don't believe anyone takes our "sport" as seriously as we do . they also do not understand what we do on regular basis and why this could be profitable in the future for a company employing the idea of dry fit chef wear.

As far as chef pants being fire resistant yes there is a way to achieve both with some minor compromises .

Labor of love is correct i remember that someone did shoot that idea to under armor before . Actually being baltimore based has its perks for me as well. I honestly believe someone will eventually explore the idea in a wider sense . I really like the Lululemon stuff even thought i get crazy looks when i tell people that they are lululemon.

In retrospect i am really happy because after a year and a half of abuse and normal washing cycles they hold up extremely well with no visual signs of deterioration or issues to report. Overall a pricey investment but a good overall return.

dickies or find some khakis/chinos on sale at a store or outlet

anyone have any good recommendations? ive been getting tired of sewing ruptured seams in all my pants (not fat, just lots of bending). i need highly breathable flexy material and comes in not tight leg style skinny hipster sizes...

anyone have any good recommendations? ive been getting tired of sewing ruptured seams in all my pants (not fat, just lots of bending). i need highly breathable flexy material and comes in not tight leg style skinny hipster sizes...

Well there's Happy Chef.

A few of my cooks wear them and ever since Chefwear discontinued the ventilated pants I've been wearing for 10 years I have to find an alternative.

Here is their performance pants options.

https://www.happychefuniforms.com/chef-pants.html?fabric=707,708&ref=mainnav&tailored=1337

The Happy Chef Modern Fit cook cool smart pant has been my go to for the last two years. Super light, a bit stretchy, and breathe really well. A couple of the other folks I work with have followed my lead and have adopted them as well.

Stay away from Chefwear tailored chef pants. Both pairs that I ordered ripped from my waistline to my knee on the first day(s) I wore them.

Am I going to combust? Maybe... but I'll be comfortable before that

Back