Looking to buy a new knife need help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylez777

Reaction score
Below is the questionare I filled out:

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
I am interested in either a Santoku or a Gyutou

Are you right or left handed?
Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
No preference

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
7" for a Santoku 8" for a Gyutou

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
I am not sure, I like the idea of stainless for helping with rust but I am open

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Roughly $125 but if a less expensive knife will do th ejob I am okay with that too

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
It will be used at home roughly daily for prepairing meal.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing Chicken Breasts into cutlets, slicing smaller fruits (Apples, Strawberries etc.).

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Currently I am using my Victorinox 10" Breaking knife for bigger cuts of meat and such. I am looking to replace or compliment my 8" Victorinox Chef Knife.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
I would say I switch between all 3 grips. I probably use the pinch grip most, but I have caught my self using the other two on occasion.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
I use rock motion now because of my knife style, but I have also used push cut and slice motions as well depending on what I am doing.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
I want a higher quality knife. Currently I feel I need to do much more work for it to keep it's edge so ideally the new knife I'd like for it to keep it's edge longer but I also have lower expectations due to price range. I'd like the new knife to make most of my prep work for meals easier. I'd also like to to feel better in my hand as the Victorinox Chef Knife feels cumbersome doing prepr work even though it is light.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Not too concerned with how it looks.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
I'd like it too be comfortable to hold. I'm a home cook and using it to prep a meal and not all day use so as long as it feels good in my hand I am okay with that. Weight isn't an issue.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
I like the knife to be easy to use out of the box. I do have a whetstone but have just starting learning how to use it. Since I don't use my knife 10 hours a day 5-7 days a week I don't have to sharpen them so often but I do get knives need to be upkept. I don't want to have to work the new knife on a stone right away to get good performance.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
The longer the better for the budget

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Right now I use Synthetic and wood boards.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes with a Whetstone.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I really want to try out a JApanese steel or style knife. While my current Knife is budget oriented it has been okay. I have used my mother's Shun, Whustoff, Messimeister, and Henckels knives and I can feel the quality difference in them compared to mine. While mine is sharp and does certain jobs well I just want to try a Japanese style knife for more precise cuts, chops and prep while still being able to have soemthing durable, will last long with me takign care of it and can handle a wide variety of jobs. I am not oppossed either to German steel knives or having multiple knives to round out all jobs. Thanks for reading and for all the help in advance!

Masakage mizu would be a good choice the steel is blue 2 so the edge retention is pretty long it has Kurouchi cladding that helps with the knife not rust apart from the edge but the thing is the price is a couple dollars higher ($132) than your budget but if I were you I would go for it.
Stellar performance.
Hope this helps :)

Suggest you stay with stainless for this knife, maybe try carbon or carbon clad for the next one. (Yes there inevitably be a next one.) A Gyuto is more versatile than a Santoku and will be a better choice for your dicing and mincing tasks. And Japanese knives are measured in mm. While the length conversion is easy, differences in weight, balance and measuring also play a role. For me a 240mm compares well to an 8 inch. A 210mm will be a little shorter - suggest you try one of each.

That said there are several offerings in your price range and more just beyond it.

The Suisin Inox Western from Korin is a very good performer and looks good on the wall. It's one of my favorites in this price range and one I've gifted to mom, sis, and a couple gf. http://korin.com/Knives/Inox-Western-Style_2

The Gesshin Stainless is another I've gifted, a very solid, no frills, entry level Japanese knife. https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...ecials/products/gesshin-240mm-stainless-gyuto

I've recently worked with a couple of Torijo DP knives, another popular entry level knife. Was positively impressed with a knife that (I think) retails under $100. They do have a reputation of needing a little work out of the box for best performance.

Finally if you can reach a little deeper the Gesshin Uraku has the Japanese Wa handle and is every bit the Japanese knife, This would be my 1st choice among knives at the $150 price point. And you would have the best knife in your zip code.

Good luck in your search.

I agree than gyuto would be more useful than santoku - in particular in this size.

The Suisin INOX is a good step in-between towards more high-end Japanese knives. It is thin, but not quite as hard. That means not quite as long edge retention, but little less forgiving when it comes to handling. It is also reasonably easy to sharpen. The Tojiro DP will be a thicker knife. The steel (VG-10) has really good heat treatment and performs well. The handle is however relatively bulky and heavy and shifts the center of mass towards the back.

The Gesshin Uraku (or Gonbei) from JKI is a 'true' (in the sense of design, grind and handle) Japanese knife and would give you better impression how these knives work/behave. Both seem to be sold out at the moment though. Calling Jon would yield many more details and better recommendation - he is great guy to talk to.

Thank you for the replies so far!

I am looking at the Suisin INOX as reccomended. I was curious what the major difference is between the INOX and the high carbon steel Suisin (the HSU-NG model)? I know there is a $10 difference between the knives but curious how they differ.

I was also recommended the Misono Molybdenum Gyuto which is roughly $80. I am curious how that compares to the Suisin, Tojiro, Yoshihiro INOX and others in this price range?

As I am also doing more research I see some of these are AUS-8 steel others are VG-10 or VG 1. How do these compare to each other?

Of course I am open to more suggestions. Thank you for all the feedback and advice.

Re Suisin. The Inox is a stainless knife well suited for a home cook. Sharpens readily, looks good, low maintenance. The High Carbon is a carbon knife (not stainless) that is particularly well suited for pro kitchens when taken care of. A little more ass to it, you'll have to learn about reactivity and patina.

Thank you for all the feedback. I have been researching and reading up on all that I can. I might get a 240mm instead of 210mm based on what people have said and things I have read. I haven't decided what Knife to get but I have decided that I want to get something introductory to learn on and to also learn better sharpening techniques. Nothing would hurt my soul more then spending $150+ on a knife and I ruin it because my skills with the Whetstone are amateurish. What further limits my purchase is that I am using a credit that I have at Amazon (yes I know boo big brother box store). While there are really amazing and awesome knives at places like CKtG, JKI, JCK and other online dedicated knife sellers, I kinda have to use what I got for this purchase. I am going to save up and hopefully next year or two I can buy one of those sweet knives from one those places.

So from what I've seen and what amazon my choices are below. Some I've seen many reviews on some I never heard of or seen anything about so any feedback or opinions to help me decide would be most welcome:

Zhen 3 layer VG-10 Forged Steel 240mm Gyuto $63 (Have not seen much by anyone on this brand or the quality of the knife)
Tojiro DP 240mm Gyutou - $63 (Seems everyone says price to performance on this knife is amazing)
Masahiro 240mm Gyutou - $75 (Doesn't say what kind of steel, just Japanese carbon steel. Also not sure about this brand and it's quality)
Misono Moly 210mm Gyutou - $79 (the 240mm price is $115 and seems high)
Okami VG10 Damascus blade 210mm Gyutou - $90 (I've seen nothing anywhere about this brand of knife and a similar looking one branded Enso is the same price)
Togiharu Moly 210mm Gyutou - $102 (Haven't been able to find much on this brand in way of reviews, especially this steel type)
Suisin Inox Western 210mm - $120 (amazon doesn't carry 240mm)

That seems about the crux of them on amazon. I know they also carry Yoshiro in the $120 range and probably some others I missed. I didn't want to make a giant list. Right now I am trying to decide since I am going to use the knife to learn with, practice sharpening with etc if it makes sense to just spend in the lower range of this introductory list, if i mess up the knife it was $60 no harm no foul. I'd be interested what others thoughts were or any feedback I could get on these (or if there is something I missed on amazon you'd recommend). I again thank you for your time and feedback!

On that list I'd go for the Tojiro or the Misono - they're well-known major brands, respected knives, and I question what you'd be getting for the extra money over them. And they'd leave some extra for an extra (or better) stone, should you decide you want one.

I am not an impulsive purchase type of person but when I looked today and seen the Tojiro DP 240mm dropped to $56 no tax free shipping on Amazon I just had to try it at that price. I know there are so many better knives but for that price (only $16 more than my Victorinox chef knife) I felt I had to see for myself. I am going to stash away money and maybe in 6-12 months I'll be ready for an upgrade to a top quality blade. For now if the Tojiro DP is half as good as some people talk about it i'll be very happy for $56.

Thank you all so much for the advice, feedback and help. I truly appreciate it!

Yoshiro or Tojiro would be solid choices. Bear in mind that the Tohiro may need some work out of box for optimum performance.

If the Misono is sold by Korin it would work. Very average knife (IMO).

1st choice among those listed is the Suisin. I like that knife.

Want to dispel any notion about "messing up" a knife. It's a chunk of steel that you're going to RUB on a rock. If you RUB to much this way, RUB a little more that way. You would have to do something very wrong, for a long time, to mess it up. And if you find yourself there you can punt to one of the sharpening services on this board.

Have fun.

Back