Bryan raquin knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingkor

Reaction score
I wanted to ask if anyone owns a knife from bryan raquin? And if so what does he think of it.

Reminds me of Takeda (in a good way) with a much nicer profile and incredibly pure, low-alloy core steel made by Achim Wurtz in incredibly limited amounts. Bryan is a pleasure to deal with. This doesn't feel like 290mm

Reminds me of Takeda (in a good way) with a much nicer profile and incredibly pure, low-alloy core steel made by Achim Wurtz in incredibly limited amounts. Bryan is a pleasure to deal with. This doesn't feel like 290mm

That gyuto he has does look gorgeous. What else can you say about the steel? When I saw "XC10" my mind just edited in "VG10" which clearly isn't correct from what you're saying. And what's the grind like?

Well, holy crap, thanks for the link! That looks... rather pure. I wonder, now, what the very old unbranded carbon knives I grew up with were made of; I'd assume it would be a similar super-pure carbon steel. Loved those knives.

that looks my cutting board...most of the boards I see on here are like works of art..nice to see I'm not the the only one with and cracked worn down board

What did you think of the edge retention sharpening and F&F of the knife?

SC145 is a hell of a steel. Had a Gyuto vom J.J. Tritz (knifemaker from my hometown Hamburg) for a month and I found the steel is a really good allrounder... gets really sharp quite easy and is surprisingly. After the test, I bought a knife from that steel (different maker). I'd say it's one of my top favorite knife steels. A shame, that it's no longer produced.

But Achim Wirtz' new steel... SC125 (kind of the same thing just with a bit lower carbon content) seems to be quite promising as well. I receive my first knife in that steel in a few days... have really high expectations.

The knives of Brian are just great in my mind... maybe I have to get in touch while he still has maybe some SC145 left :knife:

Once the SC145 and SC125 was mentioned - the difference is not only the carbon content (1.45% and 1.25% respectively), but also Mn content which was increased to 0.8% for the SC125. Both changes were made to improve hardening properties of the steel. I got a bit of the SC125 from Achim, but it will be a while before I will get to try it out. On paper it looks very similar to white #2, though it is supposed to be even purer (I got that info from Achim)

But back on topic - I have been watching Bryan's work for a while too. Interesting knives, mostly with very flat profiles. I would love to hear more about them.

Bryan Raquin’s knifes are a JOY to look at,
to hold, to use — an to photograph!

Let me add a few pictures here

Bryan%20Raquin%20Nakiri_4139_fb_crop.jpg

Bryan%20Raquin%20Nakiri_4143_fb.jpg

Bryan%20Raquin%20Nakiri_4131_fb.jpg

Bryan%20Raquin%20Nakiri_4201_fb.jpg

Nakiris%20Bryan%20Raquin_4686_fb.jpg

/ best
ganesh

Uups! Seems my pics don't show up here. Sorry.
Could anybody help, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Uups! Seems my pics don't show up here. Sorry.
Could anybody help, please?

You typed in the tags yourself, which is fine, but at the end of each URL you have to put a / in front of the IMG. So for example, the first one should be:

http://cdn2.dropmark.com/924/a4f6adc4fac4460666b00d95a761f52e972fd73f/Bryan%20Raquin%20Nakiri_4139_fb_crop.jpg[/IMG_]

Just remove the _ after the second IMG, which I put there so that it wouldn't just display the picture.

Those are some really neat photos ganesh. I can get a really good idea of what it would feel like in the hand from these pics alone.
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks to everyone for the information ill look into his work a bit more and maybe talk to him about making a custom for me 😀

I am wondering what kind of geometry do his gyuto knives have. Are these some sort of wide bevel? How do these compare to other knives? And last but not least - how flexible is Bryan on custom orders concerning the design & profile?

I just got mine, will take some pics soon: So far seems like a beautiful cutter, really sharp out of box (Brian says it was finished with a tsuhima natural stone which is 6-8k grit) and I love the look. Nice fit and finish. San mai made out of an amazing steel that is supposed to be even better than White#1 (145sc for the edge , and xc10 for outside layers.).

I like mine a lot so far!

Back