What's your favorite whiskey?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drawman623

Reaction score
Lately I've been discovering Japan's various expressions and wondered what the culinary experts out there think.

What is your favorite(s) and why?

The best whisky I ever had was karuizawa 27 noh. Unbelievable. My go to brand is highland park, I love the 18/21/25 year olds. Wasn't a big fan of the 10, I have a review on whisky.com. Other amazing malts have been ardbeg ugidaul and corryvekrn. Octomore 6.2 islay was also great, super expensive for a 5 year old though. My favorite budget peated malt is laphroig quarter cask. Around $40 but amazing. For Canadian malts, Alberta premium dark horse is good, add a smidgen of water and let it rest uncovered to tone down the alcohol. Glen breton ice 57.8% Is great, avoid the 40% one. It's ****. Glenfiddich 15 solera is also a great bang for buck malt and easily availible. Macallan sienna is good if you want impress company, it's very similar to the 18, much better than ruby which broke my heart lol. Glenfarclas makes a great 21/25/30/40 albeit they have recently shot up in price. Tomatin 15/18 are also quite good. My recomendation for new drinkers has always been to buy sets of miniatures or whisky calendars and see what you like. For blends I really liked jw swing and green/gold, very simple drinks, that are great on a hot day. Springbank 15 glendronach 15 and glenmorangie 18 are also great malts sub $100(glenmorangie might be a smidge over $100 now but it's a fantastic dram and my best wedding present idea, it's liked a supped up sherry dipped 10) the port finished one is my favorite of their 3 12 year olds. Lagavullin at cask stregth is also good(the regular bottlings also worth trying if you see it on sale or cheap at the grocer) for Americans I like woodford reserve a lot. Amrut fusion or peated is my go to Indian whisky. I liked hibiki 17 above I want to try the older ones but can't justify the funds. Brucladdies special editions are all generally good as well. It's really hard to make recommendations without knowing what you like in a malt or more importantly dislike. Port ellen and brora also get top marks(Google before you buy) they are hard to find being silent stills but are excellent. When I go to Vancouver or Toronto I always find someone who sells it by the oz and get some.

Balvinie makes me happy. It ticks a lot of boxes without being esoteric...

Sung to the tune of 'peaches' by presidents of the USA

Going me to Tokyo, gonna drink me a lotta whisky

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cs8G_mY8jE

Been drinking the hell out of Nikka from the barrel, someone here recommended it. Should go and thank them.

Hakushu 18 for the '$ no object' selection; Bowmore Enigma for EDD.
I have a Balvenie 14yr 'Cuban Selection' that I haven't opened yet.

Don't you mean EDD

Every day drink

[emoji12]

Yup...fixed that! :D

I'm very fond of Old Pulteney 17 and 21. Never had a bad bottle.

Elmer T Lee is also a favorite, but it has become near impossible to come by.

I drink whiskey rarely, but found the balvenie 12 single barrel very nice. I would love to try the balvenie 17 double wood, but have no excuse to buy a bottle since we have 2 other whiskey at home that get very little attention :) (I am not a guy who drinks alone)

I used to drink Laphroaig Quarter Cask when you could get it for 20 quid. Unsophisticated perhaps, but to the point, with plenty of peat and not too much oak or heads like a lot of Scotch can be.

The best whisky I ever had was karuizawa 27 noh. Unbelievable. My go to brand is highland park, I love the 18/21/25 year olds. Wasn't a big fan of the 10, I have a review on whisky.com. Other amazing malts have been ardbeg ugidaul and corryvekrn. Octomore 6.2 islay was also great, super expensive for a 5 year old though. My favorite budget peated malt is laphroig quarter cask. Around $40 but amazing. For Canadian malts, Alberta premium dark horse is good, add a smidgen of water and let it rest uncovered to tone down the alcohol. Glen breton ice 57.8% Is great, avoid the 40% one. It's ****. Glenfiddich 15 solera is also a great bang for buck malt and easily availible. Macallan sienna is good if you want impress company, it's very similar to the 18, much better than ruby which broke my heart lol. Glenfarclas makes a great 21/25/30/40 albeit they have recently shot up in price. Tomatin 15/18 are also quite good. My recomendation for new drinkers has always been to buy sets of miniatures or whisky calendars and see what you like. For blends I really liked jw swing and green/gold, very simple drinks, that are great on a hot day. Springbank 15 glendronach 15 and glenmorangie 18 are also great malts sub $100(glenmorangie might be a smidge over $100 now but it's a fantastic dram and my best wedding present idea, it's liked a supped up sherry dipped 10) the port finished one is my favorite of their 3 12 year olds. Lagavullin at cask stregth is also good(the regular bottlings also worth trying if you see it on sale or cheap at the grocer) for Americans I like woodford reserve a lot. Amrut fusion or peated is my go to Indian whisky. I liked hibiki 17 above I want to try the older ones but can't justify the funds. Brucladdies special editions are all generally good as well. It's really hard to make recommendations without knowing what you like in a malt or more importantly dislike. Port ellen and brora also get top marks(Google before you buy) they are hard to find being silent stills but are excellent. When I go to Vancouver or Toronto I always find someone who sells it by the oz and get some.

Those Islay peats are a bit rugged for me. I have a Laphroaig 18 that I enjoy on occasion and I also share with my friends seeking to learn about the range of whiskey. Ardbeg was not one of my favorites and Lagavulin knocked me on my ass. They have a place, surely, with bold distinctive flavor and unmistakable signature. Maybe I'll get there some day.

Sung to the tune of 'peaches' by presidents of the USA

Going me to Tokyo, gonna drink me a lotta whisky

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cs8G_mY8jE

Been drinking the hell out of Nikka from the barrel, someone here recommended it. Should go and thank them.

The Nikka Cofey Still blend is fantastic IMO. Maybe the best bang for the buck in blended whisky. I prefer it to the Hibiki 21...but assume my taste will evolve toward the port and sherry cask components of the Hibiki.

I drink whiskey rarely, but found the balvenie 12 single barrel very nice. I would love to try the balvenie 17 double wood, but have no excuse to buy a bottle since we have 2 other whiskey at home that get very little attention :) (I am not a guy who drinks alone)

When you're visiting the Billipp shop in Connecticut, look me up and we will enjoy a dram of Balvenie 21.
I spoke to Andy last month and the farm is up and in full swing. I'll visit the farm stand next month.

To your point about not drinking alone, I tend to agree that a shared social component can transform many experiences. After my first few Shigs I really didn't need more knives...but the journey has been fun. As for whisky, I was sampling the Hibiki 21 and 17 at about 9am by myself. It isn't the need to imbibe, but the desire to explore a new taste experience.

Hakushu 18 for the '$ no object' selection; Bowmore Enigma for EDC.
I have a Balvenie 14yr 'Cuban Selection' that I haven't opened yet.

"money no object selection" that's well qualified Sir!

I was savoring Yamazaki 18 and was blown away by its floral notes...so much going on yet in balance. I chose to buy another bottle ($140) and discovered my local store could no get any more. Two years later the cost has exploded to ~$400 per bottle. It seems the word is out and so am I at that price.

I'm very fond of Old Pulteney 17 and 21. Never had a bad bottle.

Elmer T Lee is also a favorite, but it has become near impossible to come by.

Yes like the Pappy...some magical drinks are all but impossible to get. I was lucky enough to get a Pappy 20 last year. Nothing has a nose to rival it...at least nothing I have tried to date. Oban 21 is almost there, but Pappy is supreme for me.

OP 21 is on my hit list. Good to hear your positive association.

Yes like the Pappy...some magical drinks are all but impossible to get. I was lucky enough to get a Pappy 20 last year. Nothing has a nose to rival it...at least nothing I have tried to date. Oban 21 is almost there, but Pappy is supreme for me.

OP 21 is on my hit list. Good to hear your positive association.

I was lucky enough to pick up four bottles of Pappy 20 and a single Pappy 15 two years ago. Wine store in Roskilde had them on the shelf for 1/10th of what they go for on auction. I bought all five bottles on the spot. Opened one of the 20 year olds and saved the rest for later.

So many. For every day stuff cask strength Four Roses Single Barrel Private Selections are tough to beat for the dollar. Ardbeg Uigeadail is probably my favorite readily available single malt.

If I could only drink one thing for the rest of my life, it would be 1980's Old Grand Dad Bottled-in-Bond 100 proof made by National Distillers. Both for sentimental reasons and because it's fcking delicious.

The single best thing I have ever had is a 13 year old Mount Vernon Rye Bottled-in-Bond distilled in the Spring of 1921 and bottled in the Fall of 1934.

When you're visiting the Billipp shop in Connecticut, look me up and we will enjoy a dram of Balvenie 21.
I spoke to Andy last month and the farm is up and in full swing. I'll visit the farm stand next month.

To your point about not drinking alone, I tend to agree that a shared social component can transform many experiences. After my first few Shigs I really didn't need more knives...but the journey has been fun. As for whisky, I was sampling the Hibiki 21 and 17 at about 9am by myself. It isn't the need to imbibe, but the desire to explore a new taste experience.

Meeting Andy and his wife in person would be so nice. And having a sip of Balvenie 21 would only make the special occasion even better. Indeed - should I ever have the fortune to visit USA AND have time to meet some makers & vendors - Andy would be very high on my 'must visit' list. Maybe one day :)

I was lucky enough to pick up four bottles of Pappy 20 and a single Pappy 15 two years ago. Wine store in Roskilde had them on the shelf for 1/10th of what they go for on auction. I bought all five bottles on the spot. Opened one of the 20 year olds and saved the rest for later.

This is staggering to hear...like finding a gold brick on the sidewalk. In fact, it may be less likely than finding the gold brick!
I have been checking every liquor store in an ever expanding pattern (Fibonacci perhaps) hoping to make such a discovery.

No pappy unfortunately, but if you'd like to trade a bottle of Pappy Reserve 20 for an unopeded Hibiki 21 plus a new Shig...drop me a PM.
In any event, I'm delighted to hear of another person who put the flavor of that whiskey ahead of the payday on the 2nd market. Cheers!

The Nikka Cofey Still blend is fantastic IMO. Maybe the best bang for the buck in blended whisky. I prefer it to the Hibiki 21...but assume my taste will evolve toward the port and sherry cask components of the Hibiki.

Ooh, more to try. Thanks. I am not sure I will get to try the hibiki it's a 1000$ aud per bottle over here [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

I get that whiskey is expensive but that is too rich for my blood. Will try the blend if I can find it.

i cant even find the WL Weller 12 year!!

great grab, D

oh.

i've been drinking a local whiskey. Sonoma County Distilling company -RYE. it's fantastic for me.

Ooh, more to try. Thanks. I am not sure I will get to try the hibiki it's a 1000$ aud per bottle over here [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

I get that whiskey is expensive but that is too rich for my blood. Will try the blend if I can find it.

Perhaps the whisky purveyor based AU pricing on Shigefusa sales numbers.
I found a source locally in the USA who is asking $300 per bottle. For that cost I thought I might try a dram or two.

I have seen the escalation of pricing since Hibiki 21 was rated best blended whisky in the world. It is or will be an allocated item soon I expect. The only bottle I see on ebay is over $2500.
If you're flying to the states, stop by for a taste.

I found a source locally in the USA who is asking $300 per bottle. For that cost I thought I might try a dram or two.

I have seen the escalation of pricing since Hibiki 21 was rated best blended whisky in the world. It is or will be an allocated item soon I expect. The only bottle I see on ebay is over $2500.

It is our alcohol tax that kills it over here.

Plus import duties and extra markups for handling fees.

You guys should try sourcing some of the Aus whiskeys coming out of Tassie. Some great drops.

Quite fond of Helliers Road. Sulivan's Cove is great. Though pricey (at least over here).

Can't wait to plan myself a trip down there for wine and whiskey tasting.

One day, I will take you up on that.

Alcohol is heavily taxed here. Even the Nikka I would have to order online at about $200, which isn't too bad, but probably cheaper on your end.

It is our alcohol tax that kills it over here.

Plus import duties and extra markups for handling fees.

You guys should try sourcing some of the Aus whiskeys coming out of Tassie. Some great drops.

Quite fond of Helliers Road. Sulivan's Cove is great. Though pricey (at least over here).

Can't wait to plan myself a trip down there for wine and whiskey tasting.

Hit me up and I go with you. It's on my bucket list.

Any recommendations I can grab at dan murfy? I like them more mellow

I find the Taketsuru 17 / 21 is really good value, would certainly go up in price!
Nikka21_lg.jpg

Back