Need a parer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree with the Dojo. But perhaps I should not have an opinion because I never had one. BUT, from what I hear the Dojo is quite a thick parer. Yes, it may be hardened to like 61 or something, but I believe that for a parer, thin is in. Also, stainless is helpful. MAC Pro and Misono Molybdenum FTW.

the dojo has a thick spine, but it does thin out well at the edge. One thing I don't like about it is how the handle transitions into the machi.

+ 1 to the shun classic. I use a pairing knife a lot when my fruit trees come on and the shun has rocked since day one. (I know I should upgrade to a petty). There are many shun haters out there, but this one will always be a keeper for me.

I like this one:

IMG_0244.JPG

How is that miyabi's tip? I tend like a nice pointy tip in my parer vs. a ?sheep's foot? or whatever it's called. that miyabie almost looks like something inbetween. Oh, and if you really want to drop some coin, there's always the FH parer!

I'll check these out thanks guys. Dropping some coin on a parer wouldn't be right for me, it wont see to much use from me but I would like to have one around, the wife may use it a bunch so I can't really trust her with anything like that either. I have some amazon credit though and they sell the shun there hmm.

How is that miyabi's tip? I tend like a nice pointy tip in my parer vs. a ?sheep's foot? or whatever it's called. that miyabie almost looks like something inbetween. Oh, and if you really want to drop some coin, there's always the FH parer!

It's pretty nice, it is kinda shaped like a mini santoku. They make a traditional shaped one as well.

I'll check these out thanks guys. Dropping some coin on a parer wouldn't be right for me, it wont see to much use from me but I would like to have one around, the wife may use it a bunch so I can't really trust her with anything like that either. I have some amazon credit though and they sell the shun there hmm.

Hmm... get a few of these then.
Kuhn Rikon

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/5177480/
(available lots of places, Amazon included)

Light, thin, sharp, and cheap.
Oh yeah, lots of pretty colors too for the missus. :cool:

I like the Misono Moly 80mm parer I picked up from JCK before the price increase. Very well-made little knife, especially for $48.60 (now $71.00) plus $7.00 shipping, and I've been using it a lot more than I thought I would.

Img588.jpg

BTW, CK2G has a Misono 80mm Parer in the Swedish Steel line for only $55.95:

chefknivestogo_2147_5942413

word! i just got a misono moly parer, too! great deal at $45. at $75, I don't know if it's a "great" deal anymore, though ... We have MACs around here for $46.50 at a local restaurant supply store in Philly, so they're my person fave for paring right now.

Back