Making your own food safe wooden plates?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S-Line

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum... but trying to see if anyone here has any experience making your own food-safe wooden plates similar to the one I linked below.

http://korin.com/One-Legged-Sushi-Geta-Tray-Long?sc=26&category=17860375

What type of wood would you use to make it? I've noticed most of them are made from aracia wood, but I couldn't find anybody that sells that type of wood here locally.

Also what type of finish would you apply to it?

Thanks much!

Anything you see cutting boards made from will be fine, along with any tree which produces edible fruit/ nuts.

Maple, Walnut, Cherry, Beech, etc.

Ahh, that makes sense. Now is there anything I would need to do to it first? I would hate to put in the effort and time to have them warp etc.

At least for experimentation, couldn't you use actual cutting boards (IKEA has a couple inexpensive, large ones made of real wood) as base stock?

It is important that the wood is thoroughly dried. You don't want warping or splitting after you've formed the plate.

The food safe finish which I've had the best luck on cutting boards is Mineral Oil. On new items wipe them down once a day for a week, once a week for a month and once a month for a year as the saying goes. Would suspect it would work just as well on wooden bowls.

I would finish with boiled linsseed oil. It cures and is food safe as far as I know 👍

Isn't walnut oil ideal, as it doesn't go rancid and is certainly food-safe?

Back