Just started a blog on knife making

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
(I hope this is OK to post here)

OK, after long consideration I have decided to give it a try and started a blog on knife making. I am at the very beginning - making first steps with many mistakes and though that maybe others considering to try themselves could find it helpful (or at least amusing).

There is just a very first introductory post (more is in the making). I am not sure yet whether I should be posting finished articles or whether it makes sense to edit them as the given project develops - I am yet to figure that out. Anyhow, here it is:

http://matuskalisky.blogspot.de

Looks good Matus!

It's interesting to learn you have a doctorate, I admire your perseverance! 4 years for a master's degree was more than I could tolerate, but maybe your subject matter wasn't so dull (I studied engineering).

I can see why you feel the need to do something physical!

Please do keep us updated with your progress.

Thanks, I hope I will be able to produce posts worth reading. I myself was surprised how the whole knifemaking thing bursted - it started as 'let's just try this with a very few tools' - that part did not last long :)

The PhD was not definitely not dull - the subject matter was mainly data analysis of one of older particle experiments at CERN - the less known experiment call NA45 (nickname CERES) which was a fixed target experiment on the SPS accelerator (that is the one that feeds the LHC today). After that I worked as post-doc for ALICE experiment (LHC). So now if someone tells me that 1TB of data is a lot I just have a good laugh :)

Looks good Matus!

It's interesting to learn you have a doctorate, I admire your perseverance! 4 years for a master's degree was more than I could tolerate, but maybe your subject matter wasn't so dull (I studied engineering).

I can see why you feel the need to do something physical!

Please do keep us updated with your progress.

Geez where did you study? In Aus 4 years will get you a PhD.

Great initiative Matus! Looking forward to see the first finished knife.

Looking forward to continuing to follow your efforts, looks good.

BTW, I tried unsuccessfully to leave a comment on your blog, not sure what the problem is.

Geez where did you study? In Aus 4 years will get you a PhD.

England.

My course was integrated, so it's a 4 year course to go straight from school to a master's degree.

Another 4 for a doctorate would make 8.

I had a look at the comment section. It should work fine, but the current setting requires some sort of identification (google account or other) - I am wondering whether I should allow anonymous comments (no ID required). Would't that open the door to spam?

So long as the links in the comments are set to "nofollow" you shouldn't get too many problems.

So long as the links in the comments are set to "nofollow" you shouldn't get too many problems.

That is a good point. I just do not see that particular setting.

EDIT: Quick googling revealed that I apparently need to make some updates to my template. I need to invest a little effort to get that done, but it makes sense to do. For now I have allowed anonymous comments and see how that goes.

I guess I need a help here. I have added the following code inside the <HEAD> </HEAD>, but once I save the change and check the blog webpage I get a blank page.

This is the code I found online:

HTML:
  <script src='http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1/jquery.min.js' type='text/javascript'/>
  <script type='text/javascript'>
  var a = $(this);
  var href = a.attr('href');
  $(document).ready(function() {
  $(&quot;a[href^='[url]http://']&quot;).each(function[/url] () {
  if(this.href.indexOf(location.hostname) == -1) {
  $(this).attr('target', '_blank');
  $(this).attr('title', 'Click to open in a new window');
  $(this).attr('rel', 'nofollow');
  }
  }
  );
  $(&quot;a[href^='[url]https://']&quot;).each(function[/url] () {
  }
  }
  );
  });
  </script>

thanks in advance

England.

My course was integrated, so it's a 4 year course to go straight from school to a master's degree.

Another 4 for a doctorate would make 8.

Ahhhh makes some more sense.

Now ba k om topic, great blog Matus can't wait to read more.

I guess I need a help here. I have added the following code inside the <HEAD> </HEAD>, but once I save the change and check the blog webpage I get a blank page.

This is the code I found online:

HTML:
  <script src='http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1/jquery.min.js' type='text/javascript'/>
  <script type='text/javascript'>
  var a = $(this);
  var href = a.attr('href');
  $(document).ready(function() {
  $(&quot;a[href^='[url]http://']&quot;).each(function[/url] () {
  }
  }
  );
  $(&quot;a[href^='[url]https://']&quot;).each(function[/url] () {
  }
  }
  );
  });
  </script>

thanks in advance

I dnon't want to discourage just from your current blogging forum, but when you use Wordpress, you're not confronted with such technicalities. It's all about what you see is what you get.

I just update the blog with some new posts. I have many more in working, but I realised that it does not make sense to make a post (on a given project) and then update it later. So I will also try to finish the projects I want to write about before publishing them.

Should you find the time and interest - I would be most thankful for your feedback (in particular if you find something that does not make sense or is simply wrong).

mark - it seems that Google already does some spam handling, so I will not be fooling around the HTML just yet.

My first knife is finished and here is the article about the whole process - Project #3. I am not sure what took more time - to make the knife or to take all the photos and write the article :)

Beautiful handle and knife! I might have missed it but what grit is that finish? =)

Beautiful handle and knife! I might have missed it but what grit is that finish? =)

Thank you Mike. The finish is 400 grit, but next time I will go higher (around 800 - 1200) as while the blade feels smooth to touch, dirt or fingerprints are harder to remove as the scratches are probably too deep.

Thank you Mike. The finish is 400 grit, but next time I will go higher (around 800 - 1200) as while the blade feels smooth to touch, dirt or fingerprints are harder to remove as the scratches are probably too deep.

I've done quite a bit of refinish work and I found it increasingly hard to get a consistent finish as I move up grits, up to about 400 or 600 I have a really consistent scratch pattern (I think its hiding some of the mistakes).

Once I get to 800 or 1000, any stray scratches from the 400-600 were left behind it becomes quite obvious.

Just my personal experience and it has taught me to be much more thorough both when finishing and when cleaning the blade off between grits. I'm probably one of the few individuals who enjoy hand sanding work =)

Thanks Mike :) I bought the blade simply because it was cheap (8€) and I found the shape practical. I have added the spacers to the handle a bit of last minute as well as the wooden 'spacer' at the butt of the handle.

Dan thank you. But it was more than 3 weeks (more like 2 months). The nett working time on the kitchen knife was around 20 hours - just the thinning the blade after HT (as I left it way too thick) with Atoma 140 was more than 5 hours. That was a tough part but it went surprisingly well. But since I only work a few evenings a week and work on several projects in parallel it took quite a while to finish.

Back