Munetoshi gyutos anyone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbusby1

Reaction score
I've been doing my best to bite my tongue, hype is hype.

Has anyone picked up a gyuto from the latest batch of Munetoshi ku from Maksim? I thought Teruyasu-Fujiwara was a freak in his treatment of W#1, his knives outlasting most blue's edges and easily taking significantly keener edges but in comes Kouiti Turumaki blowing T-F out of the water in terms of edge retention. All at a cheaper price and one of the best grinds I've encountered. I am head over heels with this knife but specifically the edge retention is blowing my mind, I've never had another gyuto come 1/2 as close (almost exclusively used various makers hitachi whites and blues).

Anyone else out there experiencing this? (You can PM to avoid hype, your prerogative).

Munetoshi is amazing. I'm trying real hard not to hype these things. My 240mm Kasumi is the best thing yet from maxim that I've used. That list includes 3 Katos, 3 shigs, 1 Toyama, and 1 itinomonn. I'm not sure how great the KU versions are.

I have the butcher knife and love it. That thing can take a beating!

I'm borrowing one of the KU now, and it's pretty darn cool. It'll be headed your way soon!

I agree, the butcher knife IS great, except for the fact that his gyutos are MUCH thinner behind the edge and retention is still just as good. :bliss:

****, this isn't going to you next, it is going to Maine.

Munetoshi is amazing. I'm trying real hard not to hype these things. My 240mm Kasumi is the best thing yet from maxim that I've used. That list includes 3 Katos, 3 shigs, 1 Toyama, and 1 itinomonn. I'm not sure how great the KU versions are.

If I understand correctly isn't itinomonn made by the same maker or is that just the butcher knife?

Just the butcher, at least that's the best I could get out of Maxim regarding it. Seemed like someone(s) else does the other itinomonn stuff. Owning a few itinomonn reinforced this for me, the butcher feels like a whole different animal

Never used an itinomonn Gyuto, although I assume they were pretty thin behind the edge. Munetoshi is a beefy food releasing middle weight. Atleast the Kasumi is.

The choil reminds me a bit of Heji's. At all similar?

I would agree, the bevels are more blended and the steel feels very different on the board and on stones.

would one be able to order one of these with the handle configured for a lefty i wonder. Sent Maxim a note and haven't received a reply yet. Any opinions?

Im a lefty and actually find the D shaped wa handles more comfortable to hold if it's a righty installation. There are other leftys who agree too. It can be switched but I like the groove on the side my fingers wrap around

The choil reminds me a bit of Heji's. At all similar?

Heiji's have a far more pronounced shoulder/secondary bevel IME. Not a fan personally. Heat treat is great, grind is meh IMO. That Munetoshi looks pretty damn stellar from the choil shot.

Just the butcher, at least that's the best I could get out of Maxim regarding it. Seemed like someone(s) else does the other itinomonn stuff. Owning a few itinomonn reinforced this for me, the butcher feels like a whole different animal

Yeah, the two butchers I handled were nothing at all like the multiple itonomonn's I've played with.

Im a lefty and actually find the D shaped wa handles more comfortable to hold if it's a righty installation. There are other leftys who agree too. It can be switched but I like the groove on the side my fingers wrap around

Gosh darn it! You have me wanting to try out a lefty handle. My righties fit quite nicely in my left hand.

Maksim flipped the handle for me and i dont like it and might flip it back or just make a new handle

I too prefer d-handles installed the wrong way.

How hefty or thick is it compared to Itinomonn? As think behind the edge as the Itinomonn?

Cheers and thanks,
rj

Most of the Itinomonns I've had, with the exception of one have been very thin behind the edge, as is the Munetoishi, more so than the Shifmgs and Katos I've had.

I am a lefty who feels exactly the same was as you about D handles.

I am curios about Munetoshi as well. Could anyone let me know how much does the 240 gyuto weight?

Please let me add a few more questions :)

I would be very interested how the Munetoshi compares to Toyama (in 240 size) and to some other knives, (e.g. Kochi, Itinomonn KU, hammered Yohikane SKD, etc.) in terms of cutting behaviour, center of mass, etc. I am lookig for a workhorse-ish knife that is thin behind the edge. I have Kato 240 workhorse at the moment and it is just bit too heavy and definitely too thick for everyday use for me (though it is a special knife - no question about that).

This would really help, thanks :)

Matus-

I was wondering the same. I think I saw someone post that the 210 weighs 190g. Guessing the 240 would be ~230g given the specs from Maxim. Seems like these will be a bit heavier than Itinomonn yet still thin behind the edge.

Really just guessing here. I am really tempted since I don't have a 240 that I really enjoy using as a workhorse.

Cheers,
rj

Back