Another Which Knife to Buy Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneEyeMan

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been on and off this forum for quite a while now.
It's time to purchase some nice quality Japanese knives, finally.
Here are my requirements:

- Santoku or Gyuto; 190mm-210mm length; D or round (octagonal) handle; thin edge geometry; long edge holding but easy to sharpen; don't care if it's SS or high C but prefer SS; Max $240.

- Petty; max 150mm; Max $180; other requirements same as above.

But here's the kicker, I want to buy something soon/now, so the knives have to be available. Please supply links if you can.
Thanks all,
Lenny

A completed "which knife" questionnaire will better define your requirements and probably elicit more responses.

Santoku or Gyuto is a decision to be made early in process. The knife offers a tip for dicing, slicing and other tip work. The Santoku does not.

One to look at. https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...uchi-210mm-stainless-clad-blue-super-wa-gyuto If nothing else a phone call to Jon will be time well spent.

Another I like is the Yoshikane available a EpicEdge. 210, hammer finish.

Suggest stainless for Petty if use includes citrus, tomatoes, other acidic food.

Takamura R2 it's a western but amazingly light my 210 is 149 grm and my petty is around 75 grm. Both are amazing cutters that can honestly out laser anything I've handled. Shibata kotetsu is also good choice. You could grab a 180mm bunka 55 mm tall and an amazing laser. The takamura is around 46mm they also make a 180 santoku and gyuto but for the $10 difference I'd grab a 210. The takamura is around 155 usd and the petty is 125/135m I don't know what a kotetsu sells for in the states, should he around your budget. Gesshin ginga will probably be recommended as well along with izaku(not how its spelled) konosuke also makes a good laser beam. If you want something a little thicketr than a laser tanaka vu10, takamura hsps, and sukenari's ginsanko blades come to mind.

I can second the Takamura R2 if you can deal with a western handle.

And you can even get the 210mm gyuto and 150mm petty in a set. :knife:

Take a look at the Akifusa PM. Made from SRS-15 PM steel. Santoku, gyuto, and petty styles are available from site vendor The Epicurean Edge with either D-shaped wa handles or western handles.

Back