Mizuno Tanrejo gyuto white 2 honyaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supersayan3

Reaction score
The last two days I have been using the Mizuno w2 honyaki 24cm professionally.
My first impression of this knife, was that it was very blade heavy, so I wasn't expecting the best out of it.
In action, it didn't matter.
The blade is wide for 24 gyuto, has heft, is very thin over the edge.
Sharpens like butter, so easy. The same applies for my Hiromoto honyaki, so I don't understand the hype about Honyakis being difficult to sharpen.
Amazing knife this Mizuno.
Becomes scary sharp very easy.
It is a joy to work with.
Is great for both push cutting and rock chopping. Amazing proportions it has.
Discolors red onions.

I will start to use Sukenari honyaki as well professionally, and next month I will write my impressions concerning Hiromoto, Mizuno, Sukenari Honyakis.

Real interested is this comparison as a Mizuno honyaki is on my (far) horizon one day. How's the edge retention ?

The last two days I have been using the Mizuno w2 honyaki 24cm professionally.
My first impression of this knife, was that it was very blade heavy, so I wasn't expecting the best out of it.
In action, it didn't matter.
The blade is wide for 24 gyuto, has heft, is very thin over the edge.
Sharpens like butter, so easy. The same applies for my Hiromoto honyaki, so I don't understand the hype about Honyakis being difficult to sharpen.
Amazing knife this Mizuno.
Becomes scary sharp very easy.
It is a joy to work with.
Is great for both push cutting and rock chopping. Amazing proportions it has.
Discolors red onions.

I will start to use Sukenari honyaki as well professionally, and next month I will write my impressions concerning Hiromoto, Mizuno, Sukenari Honyakis.

iecho that honyaki blades don't seem to be challenging to sharpen, I got a hiromoto honyaki santoku (well the profile is more like a mini gyuto) and learned sharpening on it and got it shaving sharp on actually the first try, now that i've practiced a lot more, it's a breeze. post some pics my friend!

I remember the miz honyaki being described as "mighty" by salty and JCK, I think he was (one of) the first to get one by special order?

The one thing I'm not looking forward to is thinning honyaki when the time comes.

The one thing I'm not looking forward to is thinning honyaki when the time comes.

This! Sharpening honyaki is never difficult, thinning is a beast but so is plain monosteel imo.

As to pics, yes please:)

Real interested is this comparison as a Mizuno honyaki is on my (far) horizon one day. How's the edge retention ?

Just get it. The feeling that comes out of it is a pure joy to work with.
About the edge retention I can't comment yet, because I cut vegetables, fillet fishes, acidic things or not..., every day is different, so I have to use a knife continuously for min 2 weeks, a whole month better, before conclusions. But honyakis are hard, so they have good edge retention for carbons. Sharpens like butter in no time, the most important factor in my opinion

I remember the miz honyaki being described as "mighty" by salty and JCK, I think he was (one of) the first to get one by special order?

It feels mighty indeed! It has a wide blade, with medium thick spine and feels like it has lots of heft, but it is very thin over the edge for a pretty long way up, and a perfect edge curve, ideal both for push cutting and rock chopping

iecho that honyaki blades don't seem to be challenging to sharpen, I got a hiromoto honyaki santoku (well the profile is more like a mini gyuto) and learned sharpening on it and got it shaving sharp on actually the first try, now that i've practiced a lot more, it's a breeze. post some pics my friend!

I would like to post some pics, though they will be shameful up to degree because I scratched it on the stones a lot, was tired, excited and impatient- bad combo,well mirror polish is still there, it is a knife for action [emoji4] I will be extra careful with the next knife.
I have just 1 picture of it used, from the front camera of iPhone 5s, back cameras software not working, iPad air1 camera, completely useless, plus I have to upload the pic in some site, that I don't remember passwords etc. etc. some time in the future I will deliver

By the way, amazing the cutting edge profile on the Hiromoto santoku, funny knife to work with, feels and can be used like santoku and gyuto as well [emoji4]

A choil photo would had been priceless, but cell phone front camera only, impossible [emoji28]
I don't remember at which thread here in the forums, I was reading recently someone supporting the modern custom American and European knives (knives of high technological knowledge) vs the Japanese knives( knives of experience, not standard quality).
I have no experience with European and American custom knives unfortunately, but from what I have experienced so far, the feeling and the feedback you get from a Honyaki is unique and is is a top sensation

Have to get an ichimonji and a watanabe Honyaki gyutos, future plans... A blue 1 as well, but they are so expensive...

My Mizuno Tanrenjo 240 gyuto and 270 yanagiba, both in blue no 2. Amazing knives. Been trying some kasumi knives recently, and while enjoying them, keep going back to the honyaki blades. At the higher end, I'm not finding the clad knives to be that much cheaper than these, especially with b2 cores.
View attachment 32117View attachment 32118View attachment 32119

I'm sure there will be some criticism over scratches and patina, but I use these knives ALOT and enjoy every minute.

The only pic of last night's feeding I could manage before the family wolfed down all the other dishes.
View attachment 32120
Inconsistent cuts were the fault of the operator, not the knife.

My Mizuno Tanrenjo 240 gyuto and 270 yanagiba, both in blue no 2. Amazing knives. Been trying some kasumi knives recently, and while enjoying them, keep going back to the honyaki blades. At the higher end, I'm not finding the clad knives to be that much cheaper than these, especially with b2 cores.
View attachment 32117View attachment 32118View attachment 32119

I'm sure there will be some criticism over scratches and patina, but I use these knives ALOT and enjoy every minute.

The only pic of last night's feeding I could manage before the family wolfed down all the other dishes.
View attachment 32120
Inconsistent cuts were the fault of the operator, not the knife.

Your photos don't show.
If possible can you please post a choil photo of the gyuto, and measure how tall it is over the heel?

Your photos don't show.
If possible can you please post a choil photo of the gyuto, and measure how tall it is over the heel?
+1

A choil photo would had been priceless, but cell phone front camera only, impossible [emoji28]
It is possible, just difficult to focus. I've only used an iPhone for 99% of my pictures. I find if you focus on th ferrule it helps focus the choil and not the background.

Only the front camera is working, and it cannot focus. That is one of the software problems. Back camera is not working. It turns on, but it is out of order and almost completely dark

I'll need to look for an FAQ explaining how to upload pics from an iPhone. I clicked on the picture icon above the text box, chose photos and selected upload pictures. I'm able to see the photos of i click on the attachments in the post so it's strange that you can't.

I think that the feature to upload photos from your phone to this site is not working.
I upload mine in a free image posting site, then copy the address of the full image posted online, and I paste it here

Thanks, will give it a go with photobucket or similar

Thank you!
When I go to 'recent uploads, it has all the photos. Beautiful [emoji4]
Looks like the gyuto is very thin over the edge, and has almost similar profile with the white. Higher tip on the blue, if the angle of the photo is not misleading.

Beautiful dish you made [emoji106]

Thanks supersayan, wish I'd managed pictures of the rest of the meal before the kids devoured it all. The yanagiba made small work of tai and hirame carpaccio. Even lucked into a bit of fin on the fluke for a cheeky piece of engawa aburi when no one was looking!

I can't speak to the comparison with the white, but yes, it is very thin. Has a nice curvature too so even rock chopping herbs isn't a problem. Very nimble for the length.

Will get the heel height when I can.

Beautiful knives and they look like they get some good work in!

By the way, I have to report that Honyakis are not chipping with rock chopping, but when you fillet fishes, when they hit the central bone there are chances that they will chip. It has happened both to my Mizuno and to Hiromoto. Still I have developed the habit the last year to fillet with gyutos, and if I have a Honyaki at hand, I will do the job with it. Challenge, to be more precise [emoji41]🤘

Finally managed to find myself, the gyuto and a ruler in the same room at same time. Heel height is 50mm

Seems like I got lucky [emoji1]Thank you very much for the info!

I don't know how long you have it, how much you have sharpened it, but what do you think was the original height?

White 2, measures 53 mm height.

Watanabe, that I was chatting the previous days, told me about his blue 24cm Honyaki gyuto, that it has 53mm height as well, and 24cm cutting length.

I was ready for a blue Honyaki, or a Watanabe Dragon, but expenses occurred, so some other time [emoji4]

It's lost some steel to the stones for sure, but I can't imagine it's been mm's. Might have just gotten a shorty, but no complaints. It's my daily go to and I'm happy with it. The Kato Workhorse comes out when things get really nasty.

Took the gyuoto to 1000 grit chosera tonight and then a suede strop with jewelry polish. I find the 5000 doesn't leave enough bite for long. Fun with a carrot ensued. Guess we'll have soup tomorrow as I still have celery and onions on which to take out frustrations with my teens. ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1466264073.864261.jpg

Latest posts

Back