Who Dislikes 'Japanese Knives'?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonestter

Reaction score
I've got loads, and use my Kramer's etc

It's the fragility, handles...

I dislike the fragility but dont dislike the knives. If I could get a blade heated to 65 that would retain an edge forever and be as thin as my takamura and have the durability of my henckles that would be amazing. Handles are an adjustment. They took me a little while to adapt but now I can use them 0 issue. I like the fact that they can compete with us makers in performance but don't cost nearly as much. I also like the long history involved. I do dislike the fact that there is 0 interaction between us and them.

First thought was April fool's, but since it's not...I'm guessing it's an issue with technique.

Just select the right knife for the job - don't use a laser gyuto when you should use a yo-deba. I actually like the Japanese wa handles more than most westerns. Just to clarify your ZK is made in Japan too.

Actually preferring mostly Japanese Knives these days with stock handles. The only major issues I have ever had w/ fragility (don't count micro chipping) were with a Moritaka that I dropped once and that a dishwasher used when I wasn't around. As for handles - cheaper knives will have cheaper handles that I can't stand (plastic ferrules, crappy wood, etc...) Most Quality Japanese knives ($150 +) will have have a solid handle on it. Kramers, well Z Kramers at least are known for shrinking scales, some examples I've seen have been severe, and the shape feels a bit large and clumsy for my preference.

I dislike what they have done to my "fun" account balance...

I hate that the grinds are often asymmetrical, even when they don't need to be (like 70/30 gyutos). I hate the way ho/horn handles look. I hate how the ones I want are out of stock...

Hey, there's plenty of Wusthofs out there for you!

Mincing in cross chopping technique (with hand above tip) is one of the few situations where I rather have something more western, OR a thick Thai cleaver. I guess every knife takes damage from it - edge gets twisted in tip area, even worse if it gets caught in a rough cutting board - and there is quite a temptation to use the tip hand to really mean business regarding leverage. That kind of damage you want to rather keep far away from harder knives...

I find wa handles great on knives that are designed and balanced for pinch grip, where they serve as great handrests and counterweights. Not grips.

Hate how you slide into "hell is other people's cutlery" - you feel really clumsy with western-standard stuff in others kitchens, probably because you learn a different (lower) acceptable level of force required, and your "stop what you doing and check why the knife binds, if you force it on you will damage it or injure yourself." alarm kicks in often...

I dislike the asymmetry - it means that as a lefty I have to custom order to get the best out of the knives (which brings wait time and usually a surcharge).

I've never had any issues with chipping on any knife.

Grinds and steel types aside, I find that I reach for wa handled knives much more. I'm probably in the minority, but I constantly change my grip depending on the prep. Wa handled knives give more options to me since the handle and neck length allow for more area to grip the knife.

I don't think one can really generalize "Japanese Knives" like that

I mean a Kato is not exactly similar to a Ginga which is not similar to a Moritaka, or a Global etc etc.

someone show me proof of how "fragile" their knives are... I've always felt the same way but I've dropped knives more often than I'd like to admit and have been quite surprised at the results.

I don't dislike Japanese knives. Then again, I'm not massively impatient, instant gratification obsessed or heavy handed with delicate objects.

YMMV of course ;)

Where the f does the hammer grip even come from. I don't get it?

Where the f does the hammer grip even come from. I don't get it?

mc-hammer-768.jpg

My best European knives perform better if sharpened slightly asymmetric. What I love is the choice in steel types, great F&F and good prices, especially if my local custom officers don't apply the VAT regulations.

I was about to say I only own 1 then I realised that the silver fox's count (globals) so I technically own 4. But I count all as Westernised because of the handles etc.
But the craftsmanship that has gone into all of them just blows away western ones (wusthof eps shapering. ... great you got your machines to be more accurate with its sharpening angle well done you! )

This all said recently on my quest for a workhorse for my job I opted for a Zk.

For Homecooking i enjoy my Kato`s, Tanaka, AOKI, especially my Kamo To, but in my job i dislike them!

Lack of edge retention and mainly because of the poor iron they use for San Mai. Can`T cut fruits with them etc.....

What i love the other way around is the approach of blacksmiths like Kato San and the Iziua fam. is their traditional forging methods (with all their faults) brought to modern times. Mean they did it all the times in the same way, in europe they have to develope these old techniques again, and nowadays they outperform the japanese ones.....

Greets Sebastian.

maybe wa-hocho ARE just meant for medium-speed, diligent work... will take years until I am REALLY faster with the pushing/lunging motions than just rock chopping with careless force :) But then, knife work tends to take up too LITTLE time of overall prep for my taste anyway :)

Regarding fruit: is it just me or are most contemporary lemons so mild they hardly do anything to carbon steel... unlike limes, zesting a lime is instant black :)

Current learning phase: Avoiding accordioning without resorting to the techniques one tends to use with cheap knives (just using more force than needed and intentionally wiggling/jamming)...

Back