Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F'in Tilapia...

OOOh, piccata.....yummmmmmmm
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I hate tilapia too. It's the tofu of fish. No flavor of it's. I guess like chicken then too. :P You can make anything and nothing with it at the same time. Substitute it anywhere chicken is called for. :P

+1 on tacos.

-AJ

Look on the bright side ..........it could be shwai (sp?) or that other new weird as$ named fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Look on the bright side ..........it could be shwai (sp?) or that other new weird as$ named fish.
    Hahahaha swai, basa, Vietnamese catfish... lolololol

Some people call that cod or grouper and get away with it too. At only $20 a case many lolz were had.

Parmesan crusted "cod"

2 part parmigiana reggiano
    4 parts mayo
    1 part panko
    lemon juice
    old bay
    paprika
    garlic and onion powder
    fresh Italian parsley and chives chopped finely
    salt white pepper
    mix
    lol

Each piece of swai makes 3 buffet size pieces. two cuts and a fold over tail piece. Shown at the 5:00 min mark here

put a spoonful on each seasoned and seared portion of "cod" then roast for 6-7 min at 375 in a convection. Serve with sauce beurre blanc. No joking people will love you. It's such a hilariously funny inside joke at my job.

Look just because that fish could live on land and breathe air it's not a big deal really!! lolol

Just make sure when you sear the fish you season it and dust it with wondra or rice flour first. That **** will not get golden brown otherwise! It is the only protein known to man that will not caramelize in a ripping hot pan.

This works with tilapia or any other bland as hell fish as well. Picked it up from an old school French chef back in the mid 90's and is currently enjoying a renaissance period on buffet lines everywhere.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I actually made tacos tonight for staff meal just to see what the reaction was. Overall everyone was impressed. I made a tempura batter and fried the fish, then I finished it with pico de gallo, radicchio, and a cilantro lime cream sauce made with mexican table cream.

However, I work at a wine bar where most of the food is French/Italian/Spanish/American to reflect our wine menu. We have done tacos before and they have sold, but it kinda devalues the restaurant.

I think tomorrow I'll go with the parmesan crusted route or the florentine route. Personally I love putting a champagne beurre blanc on bland seafood, it really classes up an otherwise mediocre dish. I'll probably marinade the fish in some champagne as well. Remember, I work at a wine bar so the champagne FLOWS around here. In fact all wine flows so much I started making my own vinegars with the left over bottles we have.

+1 for Blackened

Sadly, tilapia is probably the must sustainable fish out there. Not that that is why your owner bought it.

A chef I used to work for a was a complete fckin hack, I hated the sh!t out of her, and literally the ONLY special she ever ran was Tilapia Piccata. 1, because she had zero creativity or knowledge to create anything new or different, 2, because the tilapia come completely butchered and portioned so it was no work and she had no butchering skills anyway, 3, it was an italian restaurant so she didnt need to prep anything extra for the other components of the dish.

If you can do spanish items, I would use it as a component in paella and ceviche (not actually raw mind you, blanched, cooled, mixed in with other seafood items, dressed w/ lime etc). Or staff meals.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

little OT: what is the board that Theory uses? looks like a plastic or something? I figured it's a restaurant type for easy disinfecting?

Quote Originally Posted by ptolemy View Post
    little OT: what is the board that Theory uses? looks like a plastic or something? I figured it's a restaurant type for easy disinfecting?
    SaniTuff or some restaurant supplier equivalent.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    SaniTuff or some restaurant supplier equivalent.
    cheers