Quantcast
What to do with chard?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with chard?

What to do with chard?

My fiancee and I recently took over a plot in the community garden from a couple that moved out of town, and while I don't have any problems coming up with stuff to do with carrots, squash and onions growing in our new patch, about half the space is taken up by swiss chard, and I have to admit I'm not too familiar with this particular green. Any tasty suggestions out there?
    - Erik

Make this, but substitute the Mustard Greens for Chard. You won't be sorry!

Reminds me of my first year of marriage. I remember learning that Chard was extra-high in Folic Acid, and my wife got pregnant just 4 months after we got married, and I worked at a Panera Bread. I would bring her home salads(she was vegetarian at the time) and always picked out some extra Chard for her. There's always so much time to be sweet without toddlers around....

It's a nice "meaty" green with not a whole lot of "stink" to it. I use it sort of like spinach with more body.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    blanch, shock, saute with sweet onion and bacon
    Exactly what I was going to say.

If that is too healthy for you, one of the best things I have ever had in restaurant was at The Monterey in San Antonio. Roasted Bone Marrow with Creamed Swiss Chard, Sea Salt and Crostinis. That place is fckin awesome.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    that sounds really good too
    If you are ever in San Antonio...or Texas for that matter, find your way there. The best food per dollar of any restaurant I have ever been in. Brunch is awesome too.

http://www.themontereysa.com/

cut it up and saute with some garlic, salt and pepper; I also found that chard prepared like this goes SURPRISINGLY well with Japanese curry

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    If you are ever in San Antonio...or Texas for that matter, find your way there. The best food per dollar of any restaurant I have ever been in. Brunch is awesome too.

http://www.themontereysa.com/
    that looks really interesting

this is not quite on the same level, but its the place i go to when i'm looking for food like that and its walking distance from the store

That looks good too. These type of places are my favorite. Casual, you can run in for a quick bite by yourself and spend $20, or come in with a group of people and sit and eat and try stuff for hours, and spend $200. Similar to mattrud's place as well.

+ Reply to Thread