Page 124 of 286 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174224 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 2856

Thread: what are you drinking tonight?

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    On the second glass now, decided to add a splash of San P. I don't suggest mixing this bourbon with anything, loses a lot of the smokey, savory nuances.

Has anyone tried whiskey stones, these seem like a good idea, considering getting some?
    My two cents, hope I don't offend.

Save your money. Whiskey stones are a funky paradoxical gimmick designed to appeal to an extremely niche hobbyist market, particularly people who fancy themselves whiskey connoisseurs but who aren't all that versed in their whiskeys. Realistically, chilling your whiskey in the first place does more damage to the "smokey, savory nuances" than an ice cube's volume of water ever could. That is to say, if you aren't so terribly fussy about all the subtleties in your whiskey that you honestly enjoy it cold, how much are you really gaining by buying and maintaining and looking after some chunks of soapstone to keep 'em that way, when a few ice cubes will do the same with comparatively minimal impact? Even if you want it cold and you don't want to "dilute" it--and some would argue that a splash of room temperature water in a good glass of whiskey only enhances the flavor--then save the money and the fuss, and just keep the glass chilled or the whiskey chilled in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    My two cents, hope I don't offend.

Save your money. Whiskey stones are a funky paradoxical gimmick designed to appeal to an extremely niche hobbyist market, particularly people who fancy themselves whiskey connoisseurs but who aren't all that versed in their whiskeys. Realistically, chilling your whiskey in the first place does more damage to the "smokey, savory nuances" than an ice cube's volume of water ever could. That is to say, if you aren't so terribly fussy about all the subtleties in your whiskey that you honestly enjoy it cold, how much are you really gaining by buying and maintaining and looking after some chunks of soapstone to keep 'em that way, when a few ice cubes will do the same with comparatively minimal impact? Even if you want it cold and you don't want to "dilute" it--and some would argue that a splash of room temperature water in a good glass of whiskey only enhances the flavor--then save the money and the fuss, and just keep the glass chilled or the whiskey chilled in the first place.

I'm with jack on this one. Chilling it will dull the subtleties on the mid palate. A little water tones down the 'booze burn' and allows those aforementioned subtleties to shine a little brighter.

much more awesomer
    I enjoyed a few too many Lag 16s last weekend, which made me buy rounds of the stuff. Goodbye, paycheck!
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    I'm with jack on this one. Chilling it will dull the subtleties on the mid palate. A little water tones down the 'booze burn' and allows those aforementioned subtleties to shine a little brighter.
    I also agree when it comes to single malts etc. But, strangely enough, I like my (usually high proof) bourbons on the rocks with a more generous splash of water. Makes it a totally different drink compared to room temperature straight up, but I like it. I have to admit to also liking mint juleps, but that's as far as I go with mixing whiskies... Considering that I either cool it down or mix it with mint, maybe I just don't like bourbon

Stefan

much more awesomer
    Once again, straight Tito's, from the freezer.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Side car with Bulleit Rye. Walking Dead on tube.

Last night - 2005 Linne Calodo Problem Child with a bone-in rib eye.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

St. Pauli Girl (x6)
    BBQ Heretic

Hair of the Dog "Fred from the Wood" 2011. Woof!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Find this.
    Buy it.
    Drink it.

2011 Locations E-1 from Dave Phinney.