Quantcast
what are you drinking tonight? - Page 279
Page 279 of 281 FirstFirst ... 179229269277278279280281 LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,790 of 2801

Thread: what are you drinking tonight?

Damn Pete that's what I'm talking about! Looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Last night I had some Old Overholt rye whiskey that was distilled in 1934 and bottled in 1940 as well as some 1996 Taittinger Blanc de Blanc.
    Ok besides tasting notes from something that old there has to be story behind a 1940 bottle of rye.

Quote Originally Posted by bear1889 View Post
    Ok besides tasting notes from something that old there has to be story behind a 1940 bottle of rye.
    What would you like to know?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Rogue farms honey kolsch. Yellow broth soup, no knead bread.

I'm drinking two cans of green death AKA Mnt Ranier Ale...it's all I've got till payday. I'll probably treat myself to substantially higher quality beer. I'm probably going to buy a few bottles of Orval. It's a classic and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    What would you like to know?
    How did you come by a bottle of Rye bottled pre-WW II?

Glen Garioch 12 y/o. Definitely one of my favorite malts!

Sitting in a campground in west Yellowstone eating locally grown Montana beef and drinking a 2005 Arcadian stopleman Syrah. Drinking very well these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Vesteroid View Post
    Sitting in a campground in west Yellowstone eating locally grown Montana beef and drinking a 2005 Arcadian stopleman Syrah. Drinking very well these days.
    Excellent Vesteroid!! Joe Davis is amazing. His bottles -- while pushing into the higher priced-range -- are really good deals IMO since he basically cellars them for you until they are ready to drink. When I tasted with him a few years back he told this story that the bank kept hounding him about his loans and saying: "You know Joe, you are in the business of selling wine not storing wine."

All the best growers send their fruit to Joe. Just read through the wines he has available -- it is literally a central coast hall of fame of vineyards: pisoni, stolpman, fiddlestix, dierberg, clos pepe, Garys, purisma, etc.

As for me, I have an '09 Bordeaux and before that had some Kinero Chard out of Paso from Anthony Yount.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by bear1889 View Post
    How did you come by a bottle of Rye bottled pre-WW II?
    I collect bourbon (and some rye). A friend of mine (who also collects) came upon someone who had two sealed wooden crate cases (12 quarts in each) of two different ryes. An Old Overholt distilled in 1934 and bottled in 1940 and a BPR distilled in 1937 and bottled in 1941. He couldn't afford to buy them all, so he split them up with some other people like myself. So now I have a bottle of each.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney