Quantcast
what are you drinking tonight? - Page 44
Page 44 of 281 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: what are you drinking tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    And where are all the scotch drinkers? Christmas is coming and I need suggestions (Islay malts preferred, pleeze!)
    I like the Laphroaig 18 and the Lagavulin 16. I have not had the Laphroaig quarter cask but the 18 is nice. If you have not tried it I would recommend the Lagavulin, it is quite nice.

While not an Islay malt the Highland Park 18 is also very very nice, not as peaty or smoky but very nice indeed.

And where are all the scotch drinkers? Christmas is coming and I need suggestions (Islay malts preferred, pleeze!)
    Caol Ila 1996 Gordon and MacPhail Cask

or the less rare and similarly excellent "natural cask strength" distillery bottling.

@markk - From the reviews I've been reading, the Laphoaig 18 is very similar to the quarter cask. And for some reason, the local liquor store has the quarter cask at a lower price point than it should be. Lagavulin is on the shortlist. I'm intrigued by that Octamore.

@Timthebeaver - haven't heard about those. Gotta check them out. Thanks for the tip.

Keep 'em coming!

I really like the Lagavulin. But then, I'm not a huge fan of the Ardbeg 10. You might find it too sweet. Not sure about LA, but in Durham I know of a few places where I can get a taste for around $10. But I hear LA's a pricier town. I'd consider trying it before you bought it, especially if you thought the Laphroaig was all sweetness and light

From the reviews I've been reading, the Laphoaig 18 is very similar to the quarter cask. And for some reason, the local liquor store has the quarter cask at a lower price point than it should be.
    that is good to know, the quarter cask is priced significantly less at my local store as well, I will have to check it out.

tonight, will be more of the Highland Park

Laphroaig quarter cask is closer to the 10 y/o than the 18 y/o expression imo. It is the best budget* malt around, along with Talisker 10 y/o and Bunnahabhain 12 y/o. YVMV of course.

* sub 30GBP

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    Laphroaig quarter cask is closer to the 10 y/o than the 18 y/o expression imo. It is the best budget* malt around, along with Talisker 10 y/o and Bunnahabhain 12 y/o. YVMV of course.

* sub 30GBP
    I was about to choke, until I saw the GBP after the 30, cuz it ain't that out here...

Cool, love to hear the malt tips. Any serious collectors here? I have an Ardbeg 75 and a 21y Caol ila (Adelphi) I want to pass on, I still love my dram now and then but those twomwould be better in hands of a more sophisticated aficionado or collector... Of course, I am only selling the bottles as collectors items and may forget to empty them before shipping.

That said, I am a bit afraid of the Octomore but need to get an Ardbeg 10 and some Laphroaig. There used to be a cask strength bottling, is that still out there? I also second that 18y Highland Park recommendation. Not a peat monster, but a beautifully balanced malt IMHO.

stefan

anchor steam old fog horn. bulleit rye.

I had my German friends visit for almost two weeks, they are flying out Thursday morning. All packed, now I am waiting for them to come back from a smoke and then we will have one final Licher Pils. That was the local beer I grew up on in Germany, and they brought a six-pack over for me. Ah, the memories...

Stefan