Quantcast
what are you drinking tonight? - Page 58
Page 58 of 281 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: what are you drinking tonight?

Older definitely not always better.

Age ≠ quality

Remember this well, malt maniacs.

Which brings me on topic. Old Pulteney 12 year old, another one of these "supermarket" bottlings that are just fantastic. Getting the 21 year old expression next week.

Could not agree more, The peak for Whiskey seems to be the 18 year old bottlings.

There a few exceptions ive had at 25 year old and a few even rarer great older bottlings like Macallan 30 but generally a whiskey that is rubbish at 12 years old will still be rubbish at 40 years old, it doesnt improve dramatically just because its old.

Alan

Rough night at work. La Trappe quad.

Miller Highlife and Woodford Reserve. Keeping it classy.

Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    Could not agree more, The peak for Whiskey seems to be the 18 year old bottlings.

There a few exceptions ive had at 25 year old and a few even rarer great older bottlings like Macallan 30 but generally a whiskey that is rubbish at 12 years old will still be rubbish at 40 years old, it doesnt improve dramatically just because its old.

Alan
    I agree with you, one of my favorite single malts is only three years old McCarthy's out of Oregon ( Stephen doesn't agree with me). I have had some pretty damn good 40 year olds scotches lately and one 1964 42 year old oloroso cask black bowmore that would knock your socks off.

Penderyn port wood special edition single malt. pretty damn good!

lagunitas ipa

o and for Christmas day drinking I have a bottle of pappy van winkle 20 and 23. yea thats right

How is the Van Winkle? I have had the William Larue Weller and it is almost as good as the 19 yr old Weller from back in the day, but not quite. That Weller was the best bourbon that I have ever had. Do you know what the mashbill is for the Van Winkle? I am hesitant to pay that kind of scratch without knowing exactly what it is?
    Quote Originally Posted by mattrud View Post
    o and for Christmas day drinking I have a bottle of pappy van winkle 20 and 23. yea thats right

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    Penderyn port wood special edition single malt. pretty damn good!
    Welsh wysgi from the Cynon valley! - Kudos to you sir.

Tim (in Wales)

Bit of a sweeping generalisation here, but ignoring the infinite variety of whisky for one second, I tend to find that certain styles are better when young. For example, I prefer the younger Islay peated malts (10 y/o and around) as most casks lose the blood-and-thunder character that I appreciate in this style over time.