Page 63 of 286 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: what are you drinking tonight?

Well if you dont want that 86 margaux becuase its gone off by now, ill help you out !!!

PHOOO...drinking Clan Mcgregor after Scheckam post chipotle pepper for a Santa Fe Recipe!! DRIVE ME TO DRINKING THE HARD STUFF.....only 'cause I can't bring myself to do a drunk on my Lagavulin or my Laphroaig.

Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    Madmel

Dont mean to be rude but your talking about 82 Mouton and Prosecco at the same dinner !!!!

I would kill to try a 82 First Growth, at the moment that is probably the ultimate group of wines in the world, the 82 Mouton is a 98 point wine the 89 Haut Brion is a 100 point wine !!!

If you dont partner these with a great champagne then i guarantee hoards of welders from JB will invade your party carrying duran !!!!!

I have no problem with NZ wine but it does not belong with first growth wines. I know wine is expensive in Singapore but go for it, get some matching bottles. Let the people who dont understand what you have drink some aussie plonk.
    Haha I know but probably out of the 22 confirmed RSVPs, only a couple of them really know what they are drinking!!! Admittedly, this would be my first try of one of the great reds cause I generally go for whites.

Prosecco is in cause it's the first wine I've ever tasted, introduced by an italian chef and it's been stuck as my bubbly of choice ever since.. And my 2 bottles of Dom Perignon 2002 deserve a bit more aging.

Yes wines are really kinda expensive here.. I bought the Mouton for 18K a couple years back.. Before I got into knives..

So the wine list for my New Year's Eve dinner goes thus:

Bubbly: Prosecco - Riondo Prosecco ($25 a bottle, 90 pts Parker bought a damn case of it)
    Red: 1982 Mouton Magnum, 2007 Sir Paz Parker Road Shiraz Yarra Valley (Yes I knw, Australian), Baron La Rose Bordeaux AOC, Chateau Haut Canteloup Premieres Cotes de Blaye (Really nice and cheap $24 per bottle)
    White: 2010 Oyster Bay SB (yes I know, Kill me haha), 2008 Hope Estate Semillion (yeah Australian again). If anyone has anything else to recommend please feel free to!!
    Sweet: Westend Estate Golden Mist botrytis semillon (yes, another Aussie wine)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Deglaze the pan you cook the lamb and wagyu in with 'em!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Damn

Well 57 was a **** year !! should have snagged the 61

Ive never actually had a first growth of any type. Its on my bucket list.

Its upsetting now, i could have bought 82 Lafite en primeur for $800 a case but thought it was over priced at the time !!!!

Its selling for $45,000 a case now
    $800 a case is a steal!!!!! I can never get $800 a case Lafites in Singapore. The Mouton was S$22,000 a magnum the last time I checked.. $45,000 a case is still cheaper than what I have to pay here....

I travle to Singapore often but i cant remember what you are allowed to import ?

The taxes on wine there are silly

I just dont see any reason to open a bottle like that Mouton for a party of 22 people, only 2 or 3 will know what it really is the rest will just think its nice wine. I know the culture in Singapore very well and you cant just give the Mouton to selct people, it would be disrespectful.

Keep it for a small dinner party with 2-4 close friends who will apprecite it. It will get lost in the party otherwise.

Alan

I travle to Singapore often but i cant remember what you are allowed to import ?

The taxes on wine there are silly

I just dont see any reason to open a bottle like that Mouton for a party of 22 people, only 2 or 3 will know what it really is the rest will just think its nice wine. I know the culture in Singapore very well and you cant just give the Mouton to selct people, it would be disrespectful.

Keep it for a small dinner party with 2-4 close friends who will apprecite it. It will get lost in the party otherwise.

Alan
    Duty free on alcohol is limited to 2 bottles of wine or 12 packs of beer..
    Thing is if I don't open either, I won't get a chance to until at least 5 yrs later lol.. Moving out of country for awhile.
    So maybe I just open the whole case of Chateau Haut Canteloup instead of the Mouton huh??

I would open a case of $24 a bottle wine for a group that size.

IPA, stout, pilsner and some more from a local brewery. At home I now drinks Vistamar Syrah.

done for the year at work, tonight will be a taste test between Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig Quarter Cask