Thread: what are you drinking tonight?

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    This thread isn't a sticky yet?
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    This thread isn't a sticky yet?
    No need for sticky... Always on top

Quote Originally Posted by markk View Post
    done for the year at work, tonight will be a taste test between Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig Quarter Cask
    Let us know what you think. I'm interested in what your opinion is on a direct comparison between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by mattrud View Post
    o and for Christmas day drinking I have a bottle of pappy van winkle 20 and 23. yea thats right
    Did Chang find some of this for you guys after his trip there?

I'm so jealous ...
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

With regard to the Ardbeg 10 vs the Laphroaig QC.

I like them both. Both heavily peated, so if you don't like that I would stay away for both.

I thought that the Ardbeg was lighter bodied than the Laphroaig. The Laphroaig was bigger and more oily/medicinal.

The Ardbeg was a little smoother.

Adding a little water (very little) to both, the Laphroaig opened up more than the Ardbeg and seemed a little more complex.

Both had a good long finish but the Laphroaig was longer.

In general I like the heavily peated whiskies and I like both of these and will have both in the cabinet. I prefer the Laphroaig but the majority of my guests went with the Ardbeg as they thought the Laphroaig was too medicinal for them.

Hope this makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by markk View Post
    With regard to the Ardbeg 10 vs the Laphroaig QC.

I like them both. Both heavily peated, so if you don't like that I would stay away for both.

I thought that the Ardbeg was lighter bodied than the Laphroaig. The Laphroaig was bigger and more oily/medicinal.

The Ardbeg was a little smoother.

Adding a little water (very little) to both, the Laphroaig opened up more than the Ardbeg and seemed a little more complex.

Both had a good long finish but the Laphroaig was longer.

In general I like the heavily peated whiskies and I like both of these and will have both in the cabinet. I prefer the Laphroaig but the majority of my guests went with the Ardbeg as they thought the Laphroaig was too medicinal for them.

Hope this makes sense.
    Perfect sense. I actually have both in my cabinet, but am still new to the scotch thing. I'm just soaking up as many opinions as I can get.
    Of the three bottles I have (Ardbeg 10, Ardbeg Uigeadail, & Laphroaig QC), I like the Ardbeg 10 best as an everyday scotch. The Laphroaig QC is great, but I think is really dependent on what's been on your palate right before you drink it.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Not for tonight per se, but I am leaving shortly to go and brew 15 gals of beer that I will make.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mingooch View Post
    Not for tonight per se, but I am leaving shortly to go and brew 15 gals of beer that I will make.
    That's a lot of beer, I am guessing you do all-grain and have a pro set up? Reminds me of the Midwest catalog pro section. Or do you have three carboys and are making different types of beer?
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    Of the three bottles I have (Ardbeg 10, Ardbeg Uigeadail, & Laphroaig QC), I like the Ardbeg 10 best as an everyday scotch. The Laphroaig QC is great, but I think is really dependent on what's been on your palate right before you drink it.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.
    My sentiments exactly!

However, tonight is just a 6 of Leffe.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I am going non-traditional on NYE. I plan to crack open my second of three 750ml bottles of Biere Abbaye de Gembloux that I snuck back with me in November. In the meantime, i and frying up some breaded veal McScallops with prosciutto and stinky cheese for dinner.