Page 8 of 286 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: what are you drinking tonight?

show off!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Rough week at work. Tonight's Black Maple Hill 23yr Rye.

It's getting colder - it's time for single malts!

I'm sipping a recent acquisition from K&L:

Laphroaig "Triple Wood" Islay Single Malt Whisky 750ml - Multiple Reviews on this limited release that was supposedly for European Travel Retail only! Lucky for us some popped up in California. This is essentially Quarter Cask finished in Oloroso Sherry Butts. "so in addition to the intense charcoal smoke attack there are rich fruity notes; blackcurrant and berries. It’s an evening barbecue whisky. Grill that fish until it’s blackened and crispy, drizzle on lemon, and as the smoke rears up in protest, sip this. Big, moody, broody, fruity, and rich: what’s not to love? " 94 Points Dominic Roskrow Malt Advocate,"Similar to Laphroaig Quarter Cask, but also finished in oloroso sherry casks. Fruit and smoke: fleshy red berries, red licorice, toffee, ripe barley, coal tar, sun-baked seaweed, peat smoke, and a hint of coffee grounds. Tarry finish. I rated the Quarter Cask a 91, and I think this whisky is in the same ballpark. If you like sherry-influenced whiskies, then go for the Triple Wood. If not, then consider the Quarter Cask." 90 points

I miss the prominent salty and iodiney aspects of the 10yo cask strength or even the 15yo Laphroaigs.

This is very reminiscent of the Ardbegs that were finished in sherry casks.

Show off! I love Islay malts... ardbeg and lagavulin particularly

Haven't tried the Triple, but in my mind, that quarter cask is hard to beat. It's a seriously nice malt. As for the Sherry finished Ardbegs, well the sherry didn't stand much of a chance really. It's just hard to mask/mellow an Ardbeg, they're just so distinctive and forceful, you know?

As long as we're talkin' Islay, anyone tried any of the Kilchomans?

Coconut lemonade.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Zaca Mesa Syrah 2006. Santa Ynez Valley.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Mojito made with Havana Club (Cuban contraband) once again.

I am going to Great Lakes Brew Fest today......I will be drinking unlimited samples of Beer

What a coincidence! Today I am going to Central Market(the grocery store) for Brewtopia...the yearly beer festival, where their giant selection of craft beers is 25% off, and you can mix and match to your heart's content!