Quantcast
Another audio question, portable speakers?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another audio question, portable speakers?

Another audio question, portable speakers?

The forum members here seem to know something about almost everything so here goes.

I'm shopping for a portable speaker for sister's Christmas present. It will be used primarily with apple phone for playlists and Pandora, both inside and outside. I would also like it to be used with android phone and streaming Wi-Fi (not airplay).. A mic for speakerphone and charging thru usb would be good but not required.

Bluetooth is easy answer for most of what I want. There are a lot of Bluetooth choices and a lot of Wi-Fi choices. What I've not found is a Bluetooth speaker that will also work with Wi-Fi. Am I the only one that would like the versatility or am I looking in wrong place?

Budget for family gifts is usually $100. Could go $200. Right now a Logitech UE unit looks good but does not offer Wi-Fi.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice/suggestions.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Hands down best bluetooth speaker Bose Soundlink LOVE IT. Paid $250 4 months ago.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

Thanks QC. The Bose is on the radar but I would have to reach deeper than I would like - and that would cut into my toy budget. At 199 the "mini" might work, but no wi-fi capability.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

My recommendation would be the TDK A33. Has great sound, is water resistant, rechargeable battery (~6 hr life), and is $120 on amazon right. I did a lot of research before buying this and most reviews consider the sound on this guy to be at the top of the class. Very happy with this purchase.

I heard some stellar reviews of the "boombot" speakers from sources that I trust:
    http://store.boombotix.com/collectio...eless-speakers
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

I have a jambox. Both sizes actually. The small one is plenty unless you need to play it over the sound of a commercial kitchen hood. The speakerphone is very nice. Sound quality on both is very impressive. The larger one is just eversomuchmoreso.

https://jawbone.com/speakers/minijam...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Followed my own link and see there are three. I think I must have the classic and the big one. The classic for $99 is a total steal.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    I have a jambox. Both sizes actually. The small one is plenty unless you need to play it over the sound of a commercial kitchen hood. The speakerphone is very nice. Sound quality on both is very impressive. The larger one is just eversomuchmoreso.

https://jawbone.com/speakers/minijam...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Followed my own link and see there are three. I think I must have the classic and the big one. The classic for $99 is a total steal.
    Sorry for not understanding your post fully...everywhere I read people say the jambox is on par with the bose the classic will play over the hood system or is hard to hear?

The large jambox is as loud and powerful as a more traditional bookshelf system. The classic one is not that powerful but fills any room in my house with no problem. I really like how easily it can get stashed away on the counters of my small kitchen without ever getting in the way. My wife uses it on her vanity when getting ready to go out too. It is one of the things I always take with me when packing for almost any situation.

If I were making the choice now I would get the classic over the large one. The sound quality is better on the bigger one but I am the only one at my house who cares about that. When I really want listening quality and be portable I go the headphones route.

But to answer your question directly. The classic plays over the hood well enough for one station but not for the whole kitchen. But I have over 50 feet of hoods in my kitchen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    The large jambox is as loud and powerful as a more traditional bookshelf system. The classic one is not that powerful but fills any room in my house with no problem. I really like how easily it can get stashed away on the counters of my small kitchen without ever getting in the way. My wife uses it on her vanity when getting ready to go out too. It is one of the things I always take with me when packing for almost any situation.

If I were making the choice now I would get the classic over the large one. The sound quality is better on the bigger one but I am the only one at my house who cares about that. When I really want listening quality and be portable I go the headphones route.

But to answer your question directly. The classic plays over the hood well enough for one station but not for the whole kitchen. But I have over 50 feet of hoods in my kitchen.
    that's your kitchen? looks pristine my man

I have been thinking it needs a full on amp and bookshelf speaker system.

Back to the thread. The only thing I will add is that I might take Justin's pick over mine based solely on the size of his brain.

+ Reply to Thread