Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we listening to lately?

What are we listening to lately?

In the spirit of my "what are we watching lately?" thread, let's share what we're listening to lately. Here goes:

-Pet Shop Boys -- I've loved their work since I was a kid and first heard "Introspective." I'm now going back to their classics and am more than pleased at how well they stand up.
    -The Orb -- Moonbuilding 2703 AD. An almost too-good-to-be-true return to form. Their best since "Orblivion" And what's this? They just released an all-ambient album? That truly is too good to be true. I'm hoping for a KLF "chill-out" style album, but I'm open to any kind of ambient they cook up.
    -Aphex Twin -- I'm always listening to his stuff. Sure, it may not be as groundbreaking as many think (a lot of his work is built on stuff going back to the 70s like Can and other Krautrock, as well as Steve Roach) but he has a trademark style, which is rare in an era where most electronic music sounds the same. I know an Aphex Twin song when I hear it.
    -Steely Dan -- mostly Aja and Katy Lied. In particular, I think Katy Lied is criminally underrated. Session music at its zenith. And for those who think the 'Dan were too perfectionist to be emotional, listen to "Deacon Blues" and "Your Gold Teeth Part II"
    -Rick James -- surprised it took me so long to get into his work. Man, "Give it To me Baby," "Ghetto Life" and "Make Love to Me" are stone-cold songs. Lusty, horny, and buzzing with too much cocaine. Just the way disco/funk should be. Prince may have gotten more attention, but you'd be foolish to forget about Rick. His songs had more urban oomph than Prince's, so often gritty and sleazy, whereas Prince's sexy stuff so always seemed smooth and choreographed (not that I don't love Prince): Prince wanted you to know he was a serious musician, even though he had a gonzo sex drive. But Rick, at his best, was blown out and loose (even dangerous), hinting at unspeakable demons (apparently he really was a sexual superfreak). Sometimes I just like that better.
    -George Benson -- man, people who only know Benson for his pop-crossover stuff ("Breezin'") need to listen to his earlier stuff. "George Benson Cookbook" has jaw-droppingly nimble guitar work (a listen to "The Cooker" will silence all doubts), and "Beyond the Blue Horizon" is good from top to bottom, starting off with a killer cover of Miles's "So What."
    -Talking Heads -- my friend twisted my arm to listen to "Naked." Glad he did. "Blind" is a great latin-infused song, and "sax and violins" is one of the most affecting songs they ever did. Right up there with "Naive Melody."

I got a DAP (Cayin N3) and CIEMs (Custom Art Music Two) recently so I started to convert most of our CDs to FLAC and got some more albums. It is mix of pretty much everything (save for German Blasenmusik).

I've been going through some Miles Davis, Cannonball alderly and Lightning Hopkins LPs the last few weeks while trying too settle my 10 week old in a rocking chair

Listening to Klaus Schulze right now. If you're into synth music, you owe it to yourself to listen to Klaus, one of the almighty masters. You really can't go wrong with most of his 70s stuff, but Moondawn is a great place to start. Spellbinding. Protip: listen to it when you're driving, preferably on an empty highway late at night.

New headphones have put in me in a frenzy. Lately I've been listening a lot to the following:

Porcupine Tree
    Steven Wilson
    Alan Parsons
    Blackfield
    Carpenter Brut
    Anathema
    Chicago
    David Gilmour
    Vangelis
    Steely Dan
    Radiohead
    Pink Floyd
    Perturbator
    Opeth
    Paul Simon
    Metamorphosis Jazz Band, Noriyuki Iwadare
    Massive Attack
    King Crimson
    Koji Kondo
    Jennifer Warnes
    Angelo Badalamenti
    Miles Davis
    Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

Miles
    Dead
    Coltrain
    Phil Lesh/friends
    Steve Kimmock
    Scuber Mountain
    Van Morrison
    Bob Marley
    Allman Brothers Band
    Wilco
    Ryan Adams
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Roger Waters - is this the life we really wan't?

"Picture a courthouse with no f*cking laws
    Picture a cathouse with no f*cking whores
    Picture a s*ithouse with no f*cking drains
    Picture a leader with no f*cking brains"

Very good!!

Lars

In "what are we watching lately?" thread, I mentioned I'm watching a lot of classics. When it comes to music, for some reason I do the opposite. Newly produced music, although the sound tends to be classic. Guitars or synths, right now mostly synths. I listen a lot to music produced by Hélène de Thoury. Last year, it was Minuit Machine, but this year it has been her solo project Hante. Dark and melancolic with a very classic synth sound, if you're into that. Synth pop, this is not. Well, maybe the last one linked below, which should be listened on with headphones.

i would like to record all my vinyl records onto hard drive, but don't want to spend the money on good equipment for that process. i can do it now but the quality is not worth the hassle, besides i dont have the time

so for now, just streaming internet radio stations of 90s hiphop and alternative

I just 'discovered' Ludovico Einaudi, what a beautiful music.