Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New knife laws in the UK.....

New knife laws in the UK.....

How do these laws affect our Knerdy fellows and vendors?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33547806
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I'm still looking for hard facts about the changes to the law, but as far as I can tell folks carrying knives with 'good reason or lawful excuse' won't be affected. So a chef carrying a knife roll to work can (I believe) carry on as before. I haven't found any reference to changes in 'legal carry' knives either, so it appears we can still carry a folding pocket knife (no lock, cutting edge of blade not exceeding 3").

Side note . . . As an American, I gotta say it seems amazing that there is a country where the national discussion is about knife crime.

So, if a Mohel is carrying an izmel....?
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. - Lawrence

There is a rumor that they are going to ban ball point pens as well. Those are really dangerous.
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by cave_dweller View Post
    I'm still looking for hard facts about the changes to the law, but as far as I can tell folks carrying knives with 'good reason or lawful excuse' won't be affected. So a chef carrying a knife roll to work can (I believe) carry on as before. I haven't found any reference to changes in 'legal carry' knives either, so it appears we can still carry a folding pocket knife (no lock, cutting edge of blade not exceeding 3").
    I'd be interested to hear if you find something odd, alarming, or stupid...
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

It's sad that carrying a kitchen knife is a crime if you're not a cook. Of course, the Yakuza and asian gangsters are always depicted in the movies carrying gyutos to do their dastardly deeds.

Something else which makes me very angry is posting knives from the UK. I have sold a few knives and have one I wanted to send to Tilman to have some work done to it and I simply couldn't. Royal Mail's own regulations say posting knives and kitchen utensils is fine as long as they are well packaged. A different regulation says you can't post weapons. So when I tell the person in the Post Office that it's a knife, they say it's a weapon and refuse to accept it.
    "There are 2 mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way and not starting"

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    Something else which makes me very angry is posting knives from the UK. I have sold a few knives and have one I wanted to send to Tilman to have some work done to it and I simply couldn't. Royal Mail's own regulations say posting knives and kitchen utensils is fine as long as they are well packaged. A different regulation says you can't post weapons. So when I tell the person in the Post Office that it's a knife, they say it's a weapon and refuse to accept it.
    I always call it a "kitchen tool". It has worked so far.
    Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    It's sad that carrying a kitchen knife is a crime if you're not a cook. Of course, the Yakuza and asian gangsters are always depicted in the movies carrying gyutos to do their dastardly deeds.
    Really?

It's supposed to be tanto, although I have seen a few depicted with deba or yanagi.

The police do have discretion, circumstances and just cause are big factors. If you're walking through the city centre at 2am with a knife hanging from your belt in a sheath then you're going to be in trouble, but if you're in the suburbs in the afternoon and have a knife roll in your bag it's generally not going to be a problem.

I've also found that value factors into it. If you've got a generic cheap knife and you try to claim that you're walking to a friends house to prepare dinner, it's probably not going to sit too well. On the other hand, it's generally agreed that you're not going to use a £1000 hand-forged tool to shank someone when a sharpened stick would work just as well.