Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite whiskey?

What's your favorite whiskey?

Lately I've been discovering Japan's various expressions and wondered what the culinary experts out there think.

What is your favorite(s) and why?

The best whisky I ever had was karuizawa 27 noh. Unbelievable. My go to brand is highland park, I love the 18/21/25 year olds. Wasn't a big fan of the 10, I have a review on whisky.com. Other amazing malts have been ardbeg ugidaul and corryvekrn. Octomore 6.2 islay was also great, super expensive for a 5 year old though. My favorite budget peated malt is laphroig quarter cask. Around $40 but amazing. For Canadian malts, Alberta premium dark horse is good, add a smidgen of water and let it rest uncovered to tone down the alcohol. Glen breton ice 57.8% Is great, avoid the 40% one. It's ****. Glenfiddich 15 solera is also a great bang for buck malt and easily availible. Macallan sienna is good if you want impress company, it's very similar to the 18, much better than ruby which broke my heart lol. Glenfarclas makes a great 21/25/30/40 albeit they have recently shot up in price. Tomatin 15/18 are also quite good. My recomendation for new drinkers has always been to buy sets of miniatures or whisky calendars and see what you like. For blends I really liked jw swing and green/gold, very simple drinks, that are great on a hot day. Springbank 15 glendronach 15 and glenmorangie 18 are also great malts sub $100(glenmorangie might be a smidge over $100 now but it's a fantastic dram and my best wedding present idea, it's liked a supped up sherry dipped 10) the port finished one is my favorite of their 3 12 year olds. Lagavullin at cask stregth is also good(the regular bottlings also worth trying if you see it on sale or cheap at the grocer) for Americans I like woodford reserve a lot. Amrut fusion or peated is my go to Indian whisky. I liked hibiki 17 above I want to try the older ones but can't justify the funds. Brucladdies special editions are all generally good as well. It's really hard to make recommendations without knowing what you like in a malt or more importantly dislike. Port ellen and brora also get top marks(Google before you buy) they are hard to find being silent stills but are excellent. When I go to Vancouver or Toronto I always find someone who sells it by the oz and get some.

Engorged Member
    Balvinie makes me happy. It ticks a lot of boxes without being esoteric...
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    Balvinie makes me happy. It ticks a lot of boxes without being esoteric...
    I agree with this statement, though as of late I find myself reaching for Japanese single malts first.

What's your favorite whiskey?

Sung to the tune of 'peaches' by presidents of the USA

Going me to Tokyo, gonna drink me a lotta whisky

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cs8G_mY8jE

Been drinking the hell out of Nikka from the barrel, someone here recommended it. Should go and thank them.

Whistlepig rye

laphroaig or balvenie are my goto

Hakushu 18 for the '$ no object' selection; Bowmore Enigma for EDC.
    I have a Balvenie 14yr 'Cuban Selection' that I haven't opened yet.
    “Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few; Don’t lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.” Robert Hunter

For a special treat for myself, HazelBurn Rundlets & Kilderkins or Tobermory 15

Everyday Dram while enjoying a Pipe, Craigellachie 13

Too many choices, too little Time
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Q...SC_0002_01.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Hakushu 18 for the '$ no object' selection; Bowmore Enigma for EDD.
    I have a Balvenie 14yr 'Cuban Selection' that I haven't opened yet.
    Don't you mean EDD

Every day drink

Yup...fixed that!