Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: documentary Food, Inc

documentary Food, Inc

I just wanted to share that I found this very imformative. I knew some of this but really didn't know the scale of it all. Probally won't change a lot of what I do because I can't really afford to go organic meat and veggies with my lifestyle but it really made me think. With the all responses on the future of fish I thought I see what you guys think about it

Jeff

Is one of them GMO hating docs?

Part of is about about corn and soybean and Monsanto. There are good parts about the industrial raising of beef and chicken.

I don't stress out too much at this time about the organic thing, but I do eat largely plant based (and am now lactose intolerant, so that helps). The plant based eating has helped with my grocery bill too since I liked to get stuff such as jamon serrano and smoked salmon as treats.

Seeing the CAFO type shots of livestock raising from Food Inc. like 6-7 years ago I think was the first piece of awareness I had into how large scale ag/livestock production tends to be done these days

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!
    All the criticism aside... and I get it how much people hate GMO stuff, but we just won't be able to feed the earths population if it keeps growing like it does without GMO products and or without drastically reducing meat consumption ... and that doesn't even factor in that climate change (I just pretend it's not fictional for this post haha) will probably devastate harvests and agricultural land more and more going forward ... Just my two cents...

I would agree and further by saying GMO products are likely supporting more population growth while being the solution to feeding that growing population.

Quote Originally Posted by alterwisser View Post
    All the criticism aside... and I get it how much people hate GMO stuff, but we just won't be able to feed the earths population if it keeps growing like it does without GMO products and or without drastically reducing meat consumption ... and that doesn't even factor in that climate change (I just pretend it's not fictional for this post haha) will probably devastate harvests and agricultural land more and more going forward ... Just my two cents...

...but we just won't be able to feed the earths population if it keeps growing like it does without GMO products and or without drastically reducing meat consumption...
    That's one way of looking at it. Population control would solve a host of other problems as well.
    “Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few; Don’t lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.” Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    That's one way of looking at it. Population control would solve a host of other problems as well.
    While I'm concerned that we're getting dangerously close to the realms of politics and religion I very strongly agree. The worst population pressures/growth at present are in Africa and the Middle East followed by the Indian sub-continent, SE Asia and Mexico and Central America. Famine, disease (especially if antibiotic resistance continues to increase) and war/violence will address some of that, unfortunately far less humanely than good population control programs. Both Europe and North America should anticipate that their immigration issues aren't going away anytime in the foreseeable future.
    It seems likely that we're going to have to adjust to eating less seafood and less meat no matter what. The GMO issue has been clouded by some very disingenuous propaganda on both sides of the debate. I'm not an agronomist or a plant geneticist but I do have enough academic background in horticulture, botany and bio-geography plus knowledge of how to structure research to say that much of the GMO crop trialing has been IMO far less rigorous and more methodologically lax than I think it should have been. A big chunk of the blame for that falls on the U.S. and Canadian governments no matter which party was in control. As always, "follow the money."

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!
    Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    I agree. But I have no idea how that can be achieved ...especially not on a global level...

I agree. But I have no idea how that can be achieved ...especially not on a global level...
    Even China has had a hard time with this, not that anyone should look to them for answers. That is unless you agree with them politically.