Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feelin' the Sharp Love

Feelin' the Sharp Love

Today I was eating at the restaurant of yet another amazing forum member. I drank some beer and had a shot of Jameson with a pickle juice chaser. It was good; it made me happy.

But it got better. It always does it seems.

I was later sent out a half sheet full of smoked meats, ribs, chili, cole slaw and other good meaty things. It tasted amazing.

When talking with the fellow member, the conversation eventually landed on some of the less savory aspects of the forums: knives not delivered, passarounds stolen, crazy members whose stories didn't pan out, etc.

After each episode that could have made people do passarounds less, donate less, and not give in general -- it didn't happen. Members kept on doing it: replacing stolen knives, sending out passarounds, pay-it-forwards, helping out members when needed, whatever...

I'm kind of gushy right now because I have been drinking wine (and other things) and I also just met some very generous members in MSP who set new standards for me. But I also was also just served a crazy good plate of food by brainsausage. Thank you sir, and thank you all.

k.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” -- Isaac Asimov

Sadly, with the good comes the bad, the great followed by the "ugly". I'm always impressed with the core of this forum, its generosity and willingness to share. It's a shame others try to exploit this in negative ways.

To them I say "meh". That's about all I figure they're worth. If it wasn't here I'm sure they leech on somewhere else

josh is pretty rad dude.

I hate shipping stuff.

Had a great time hanging out with you today Karring. Thanks for the kind words (and the excuse to to sit down and have a mid day beer and put off prep for a bit). I rarely have a chance to really geek out on knives off forum, and Karring is a KNIFEGEEK. I've already made two truly awesome, and lasting friends offline due to this forum(Panda, and JohhnyChance), and today I made another.

I gotta say- this forum has some really great peeps hanging around. Yeah there's been a couple $hitheads that have tried to take advantage of the generosity here, but the deep down decent members see past that crap and understand what a truly rare thing this place is: a community.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

The tone of this forum is what keeps me here. There are exceptions to the rule, but not enough to drag this place down.

Luckily - I was not in the need yet, but I have seen others getting help and support when the times got hard. If anything it reminds me that I myself should do more to help. I am glad and thankful I can hang around here.

I have just participated in my first pass around. And I must say it was a great experience to get to use such a great knife, a style I have never tried before and great generosity from everyone to make it work

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I hate shipping stuff.
    Strangely, that topic did come up. Your aversion to shipping is well known.

k.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” -- Isaac Asimov

Salty shipped me just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Strangely, that topic did come up. Your aversion to shipping is well known.

k.
    I laughed when I saw that post. Icing on the cake.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky