Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good reads...

Good reads...

Currently reading "The Monuments Men". Great story (just getting started). Super glad it was made into a movie, otherwise I never would have learned this sub-history of WWII.

As I'm getting older, I find myself developing a greater appreciation for the unsung heroes who seldom get their moment in the spotlight (hopefully not political to mention Chiune Sugihara...)

Any other good books/stories in the same vein you folks can point me toward? Anyone want to have a non-political discussion?

There is a book I enjoyed a lot more than ten years ago so my memory of the writing quality is a bit foggy but the story was powerful enough to remember. It was a soviet book by Yury Dold-Mijáilik and the equivalent title in english (from the title in Spanish so I don't know how accurate) would be "Alone with the enemy". I haven't seen an English version iso it might not be around but that should be worth looking at. the setting is Germany towards the end of WWII and the main character is a soviet spy.

A short read that I found interesting but further back in history is Joseph Fouché: Portrait of a Politician. It's been a while since I picked any good book, especially any history related. I am all over the place but tend to gravitate more towards fantasy (Tolkien and Poul Anderson type of books).

My all time favourite books are "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy and "The name of the rose" by Umberto Eco.

I'm really big into fiction nowadays (I know that's not in the same vein that you asked for...).

My favorite that I've been absolutely obsessed with is an online novel called Worm. The best story I have read about powers ever with the world building, characters, depth and details. It's dark, and it's so, so good.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

More WWII related interesting stories: Double Cross by Ben Macintyre

Just finished Dispatches by Herr yesterday, which was an interesting read. I had no idea how much of Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket was directly taken from that book. Need to decide on a new one now, been heavily eyeing Willy F's Absalom, Absalom! and Bely's Petersburg. Might just flip a coin.

It's a shame summer is coming. I always get to use my reading corner more when it's cold outside.

Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

>> "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy

The one I'll always love AND hate - what could it have been when you would have taken out all the bloody moral bias...

Normally don't care about crime stories, neither about Patricia Highsmith, but ... Tremor of Forgery, that book is fricking brilliant!

Vonnegut is always worth giving a read...

Quote Originally Posted by LifeByA1000Cuts View Post

Vonnegut is always worth giving a read...

I've read two Vonnegut novels and I couldn't stand him. Which ones are to your liking?
    Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

Baroque Cycle by Neil Stephenson is a phenomenal work that is historical in nature but has enough fiction to keep it moving and it is brilliantly written. Highly recommend.
    If you're going through hell, keep going.

About to begin Mishima's 'The Sailor....The Sea'. Translated, of course.
    “Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few; Don’t lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.” Robert Hunter

Mishima is dark intense stuff. I am more of a Kawabata fan. If we are sticking with the original theme of untold stories of heroes (or antiheroes) related to WWII, I could recommend Mishima's The Temple of the Golden Pavilion. There is a good deal of 'mono no aware' throughout.