Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NYC Restaurant Recs

NYC Restaurant Recs

First off, I am not going to NYC, but my wife is. She asked me what restaurants I would recommend, and outside of the big names (i.e., Momofuku, La Bernardin, Per Se etc.) I don't know crap about NYC dining. And it is a bit overwhelming for me to consider.

Any suggestions would be nice. No restrictions on diet, price etc. Just good food where reservations are obtainable.

Sorry for the drive by posting. I haven't been on the forum much.

Karring

Danny 'Zwiefel' Owen - 1971-2016 Moderator and Knife Knut for Eternity. RIP

Wow there's so much here its kinda hard to say. I honestly feel its a lot of meaningless noise these days, you're average trendy young chef restaurant with seasonal this and that small plates to share and cocktails nobody really wants. In general I'd suggest avoiding those places at all cost. If it looks super hip and has a clean little shopping list menu (Sunchokes - apple, seeds, lardo - $17) it probably won't be memorable and will certainly be expensive.
    Sorry I can't actually help but I feel maybe some old classic places and holes in the wall will be the best and worth a visit.
    good luck
    Matteo

Prune

Yeah, it is a bit of a hard question to answer. I admit it. If I weren't so lazy today and mostly done with a bottle of champagne, I'd probably look into it more myself, but at the end of the day it feel like researching places to eat in Paris -- and that sucks.

Maybe someone will have a true nugget, hole-in-the wall bar, or something new worth trying. We'll see….

k.

Quote Originally Posted by easy13 View Post
    Prune
    Prune looks pretty good.

k.

Haven't eaten here, but did have a few delicious cocktails. I bring it up as it's on my list next time I travel up. Beauty and Essex. Hands down one of the sexiest places I've been to. Plus there's a pawn shop up front to boot. (You have to walk through it to get into the actual restaurant)

Very good pastas and a well run restaurant at Michaeal White's Osteria Morini. I was there earlier this year and loved it.

http://www.osteriamorini.com/index.p...mobile_landing

I've never been but I just sent my in-laws to Lafayette Grand Cafe and Bakery and they loved it. It is a good one to have in the quiver because it can cover any need from sit down meal to quick pastry and coffee and is open morning through night.
    Andrew Carmellini is somebody we should be able to trust.

http://lafayetteny.com
    If you're going through hell, keep going.

I'll vouch for Prune too. Bruno is nice too for pizza and drinks near union square
    A good knives wont make you better, only practice will, a good knife should make you practice.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Every one looks amazing to me -- and now I wish I were going too.

With that said, I was just scouring another forum and found these recs. Anything stick out as good or bad, must, or avoid…?

Amor y Amargo (cocktails)
    Attaboy (cocktails)
    Dead Rabbit (cocktails)
    Marea
    Batard
    Little Park
    The NoMad
    ABC Kitchen
    Maialano
    Alta
    L'Artusi
    Alla'Onda
    Jungsik
    Estela
    Charlie Bird
    Sessanta

Have basically heard just good things about pretty much everything on the list.