Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mind of a Chef (And Other Good Shows/Movies)

Mind of a Chef (And Other Good Shows/Movies)

So, I'm watching the first season of Mind of a Chef (a great PBS series), and the way the chef reacts to all these food things, all these restaurants, and meeting farmers and alcohol makers...there's not a way I can explain it, except that it makes sense to me on a deep level. I'm the kind of person that goes into a restaurant like these folks do.

Another piece that I love is the movie Chef. I showed that to people, and the biggest thing I was asked was "is this how you view food? Is this the way chefs are?" I'm not a chef, but it helped people understand me.

Are there any movies, TV shows, etc that you like for how they portray food? For the same excitement these people feel for food that you do? And what do you think about the two things I mentioned?

Boiling point Gordon Ramsey's original show on PBS

if you're going to watch boiling point, you might as watch the Marco Pierre White episodes from Harvey's on youtube(Marco cooks for Pierre Koffman, Albert etc). White Heat days, so great

Does anyone remember an old show called Great Chefs? It was like Great Chefs of America, Great Chefs of the West, Great Chefs of the World? Those were some good ones.

I'm guessing some folks here like the movie Chef?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyFox View Post
    Does anyone remember an old show called Great Chefs? It was like Great Chefs of America, Great Chefs of the West, Great Chefs of the World? Those were some good ones.

I used to love that show...I found a Roku channel that streams them all for free and rewatched some of them. Wow...the industry of food prep entertainment has come a long way. That show feels weak in several respects now.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I remember that Discovery Channel used to play reruns of it every day after I got home from school. I loved that stuff, and it's what really got me into food. Things have progresse since then, and I think that's good. Still makes you nostalgic a bit though. It's like watching Graham Kerr or Yan Can Cook.

I remember that Discovery Channel used to play reruns of it every day after I got home from school. I loved that stuff, and it's what really got me into food. Things have progresse since then, and I think that's good. Still makes you nostalgic a bit though. It's like watching Graham Kerr or Yan Can Cook.
    I just recently started watching Julia and Jacques Cook At Home...same sort of thing.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I rember the opening sequence of Eat Drink Man Woman shows a father, a Chinese chef preparing an elaborate Sunday meal for his family. The movie is okay but the opening is really memorable. He has some great knives up on the wall behind him.

And we can't forget Jiro Dreams of Sushi!

What about the old British series Chef!? Seems like it had some good glimpses of what kitchen life is really like.

. . . .

There was a thread about the movie Chef a few months ago.