Thread: DIY mandolin

DIY mandolin

Hey there KKF,

I was browsing youtube, and came across this vid from a guy called John Heisz. He goes through a build of mandolin, and I keep wondering, what's the blade gonna be? At about the three minute mark, he installs the blade. seems to cut darn well too..

I hope this is the right place...

I just watched the video, seems like a hell of a lot of work and time to make when you can get something good for a reasonable price, I'd rather just buy a benriner personally. I'm actually seriously thinking about getting one.

it looks like it takes a little bit too much work to make though. Very cool! I think I would just buy mine

Yeah, I use a benriner myself, but I figured it would be good for a quick laugh.

At first thought it was a string Mandolin used in folk music around the world including American Bluegrass. a little more difficult for DIY

He can have his mandolin, but his shop tools are very nice...bottom line is he should have salted his chips while they were still hot...
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    At first thought it was a string Mandolin used in folk music around the world including American Bluegrass. a little more difficult for DIY
    Hmmm...you could use one of those to make spaghetti alla chitarra!
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. - Lawrence

Pretty dangerous having a bit of very sharp blade poking out of each side. Made me wince. He made a nice job though.

Have to say, if I am making root vegetable crisps, which I very rarely do, I take the lazy route and zap them through a fine slicer blade in a food processor. Very rarely use a mandolin as for small volume I like to play with my knives and for high volume the machine comes out.