Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: two week vacation in fall, where should I go?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    163

    two week vacation in fall, where should I go?

    I get two weeks off and slow time for us is late august early september. I've traveled extensively in north america, most of western europe and some eastern europe. So looking to branch out from there. I have a rough budget of $4000 including flights, but my accommodations are mostly going to be hostels and couch surfing. I speak decent spanish, so the idea of south america is alluring, but i'm also extremely eager to check out asia.

    Any recommendations?


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by lobby View Post
    I get two weeks off and slow time for us is late august early september. I've traveled extensively in north america, most of western europe and some eastern europe. So looking to branch out from there. I have a rough budget of $4000 including flights, but my accommodations are mostly going to be hostels and couch surfing. I speak decent spanish, so the idea of south america is alluring, but i'm also extremely eager to check out asia.

    Any recommendations?
    have never been fond of couch surfing but you should hit up japan and asia i think you can stay in hostels if you are going alone and they are cheap and safe.


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    WildBoar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    3,362
    Hmmm, you should have come to the ECG last weekend since you are in DC! But I digress...

    It sounds like you should go knock around in Thailand, Vietnam Cambodia, Laos, etc. But hostels and sofas will be tough if you don't speak the language. That's where Inzite's recommendation makes more sense; those would be easier countries to get around in if you don't have someone helping you along. My real vote is for Australia, but you would need to add another week to make it worthwhile since it can take 2 days to travel each way.
    __________
    David (WildBoar's Kitchen)

  4. #4
    Senior Member Nomsdotcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    73
    I've been traveling through Thailand for the past two months and couldn't recommend it more. With that budget you could go pretty crazy. But there are so many good choices. I'm sure South America would be awesome. Costa Rica is pretty fantastic

  5. #5
    Senior Member pete84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    647
    Another vote for Thailand

    With 4k as a budget you can have a great time over 2 weeks, food and accommodations are cheap!

    Very tourist friendly country and Thai people are generally very open and helpful to foreigners

  6. #6
    Senior Member Badgertooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,763
    South Africa and Mozambique.

    Start in Cape Town, eat and drink world class food and wine in neighbouring stellenbosch. Head east through rain forested garden route and take stops along the way to marvel at the water getting warmer as it transitions from Atlantic Ocean to the Indian Ocean. Cut inland near the mozambiquean border to go to the Kruger National Park, twice the size of Yellowstone & full of lions, elephants & rhinos. Continue on to Mozambique and enjoy the best, most rustic beach holiday of your life.

    I realise that food is a hard sell to industry folk but, having lived abroad in Europe and eating at a good selection of Michelin starred joints, I can confidently say that the food to be had in the cape Winelands is as good as or better than most 2 star joints at about a half to a third of the price.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    671
    Totally agree with Badger. Krueger (is amazing / one of the best places to go and see wildlife in the world IMO) can get booked up though if you are staying inside the park (which I really, really recommend) at the various camps & a car is necessary but the US $ is strong vs the Rand so that helps quite a bit. Awesome country (I'm married to one as well!) and have spent many trips there (go every three to four years) ... Might have to weight the time of year though as it is winter for them ... good for game viewing but it can get quite cool ... direct flights from Dulles to Jo'burg I believe on SAA. Also it's a very diverse country, geographically, than you tend to think - very different corner to corner ... so it is nice to get around to see it ... PM me if you go this route and I will try and put together some info for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Badgertooth View Post
    South Africa and Mozambique.

    Start in Cape Town, eat and drink world class food and wine in neighbouring stellenbosch. Head east through rain forested garden route and take stops along the way to marvel at the water getting warmer as it transitions from Atlantic Ocean to the Indian Ocean. Cut inland near the mozambiquean border to go to the Kruger National Park, twice the size of Yellowstone & full of lions, elephants & rhinos. Continue on to Mozambique and enjoy the best, most rustic beach holiday of your life.

    I realise that food is a hard sell to industry folk but, having lived abroad in Europe and eating at a good selection of Michelin starred joints, I can confidently say that the food to be had in the cape Winelands is as good as or better than most 2 star joints at about a half to a third of the price.

  8. #8
    Senior Member panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south east florida
    Posts
    3,587
    Oz

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    1,555
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    Oz
    What he said... though i don't know if 4k US is a realistic budget for a trip here

  10. #10
    Senior Member Badgertooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by malexthekid View Post
    What he said... though i don't know if 4k US is a realistic budget for a trip here
    Yup was thinking of recommending NZ but that buys you a night in a backpackers, 3 coffees and a bag of limes.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •