Konosuke Series 7

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lapointeus

Reaction score
So I just pulled the trigger on a Konosuke Series 7. It is available at CKTG. Do you guys think this was a bad decision? I've wanted to try blue steel and at this price I actually can. We will see how it goes. I kind of like the rustic look.

I saw that to, Im guessing it's an average j knife. Single piece handle and being konosuke if you don't like it, it should hold its value well. Should be a fun little knife, with a little personality.

Konosuke's FB page says,

"We're making a new product named "#7" series.Hand forged blue #2 kurouchi with Khii walnut.
This is a kind of lower priced ones and not under Konosuke brand,
but we're providing in the same route of Konosuke knives."

So these are not Konosuke knives...technically?

I just presumed it was a lower end release like how masakage has their mizu line. Konosuke basically co tracts out a bunch of smiths in the same way masakage does don't they? Just less open about who is who, which I hate lol.

Looks like a good value to me. I like the profile and handle. I bet it will perform.

My understanding is that Kaneshige owns Konosuke, who is now subcontracting knives of their own. I'm not sure why they didn't market these as Kaneshige (or Hinoura?).

Looks like a good value to me. I like the profile and handle. I bet it will perform.

My understanding is that Kaneshige owns Konosuke, who is now subcontracting knives of their own. I'm not sure why they didn't market these as Kaneshige (or Hinoura?).

Because of the lack of Konosuke on the market and some people have been pushing them so long that they've developed a following that may be somewhat overrated...just my opinion:razz:

Konosuke's FB page says,

So these are not Konosuke knives...technically?

I don't mean to pile into the misery fest of slamming CKT but it is a little disingenuous to call it Konosuke when it's a Kaneshige diffusion line.

Yea. I definitely bought it because it said Konosuke. People rave about them. I figured it was just a Konosuke without rounded spine and choil and no taper on the handle etc.

Profile is pretty rad though. Grind looks good from the picture.

No need to stress the knife, it's the marketing that I believe people are making fun of...hope you enjoy the knife and if not, just re-sell it.

I agree Cat; it was more of a dig on my part. I know they wouldn't sell as many if they branded them Kaneshige.

Yea. I definitely bought it because it said Konosuke. People rave about them. I figured it was just a Konosuke without rounded spine and choil and no taper on the handle etc.
That's exactly what it is, just made by a different blacksmith. Not a big deal because Konosuke has multiple smiths.

I bet it will be a hell of a knife. You'll probably have to sharpen it out of the box.

I wish it was stainless clad.

I will post some thoughts and pics and let you guys know. Mark at CKTG says they are pretty nice and he likes them, but he is also selling them so we will see.

He says that about every knife he sells. Must have car salesman in his DNA...

Yea. Haha. He also said full refund if I don't like it. In which case I'm buying a Gesshin Kagekiyo which I've been looking at forever.

thats the whole kurouchi carbon series we have... there are quite a few in stock right now

Those are all v2? Why doesn't it say so? You've had a petty that said it specifically forever. Ended up getting a gesshin ginga 210 petty from you instead. Which I love by the way. As a home cook I use it more than a gyuto.

But they really aren't konosuke knives. They are kaneshige knives konosukes parent company if you want to call it that.

Those are all v2? Why doesn't it say so? You've had a petty that said it specifically forever. Ended up getting a gesshin ginga 210 petty from you instead. Which I love by the way. As a home cook I use it more than a gyuto.

will continue via PM... dont want to take this off topic

Mark said it was a new blacksmith that did multiple runs until the parent company Konosuke approved. That it was I deduced from his email anyways. I don't think they are Kaneshige.

Mark said it was a new blacksmith that did multiple runs until the parent company Konosuke approved. That it was I deduced from his email anyways. I don't think they are Kaneshige.

I guess they can be called what ever suits the reseller. Tosho sells the same knive under the kaneshige brand with a better handle.

I dunno. Kanji is different and profile on Konosuke looks better to me.

Back