Quantcast
Norton 8000 stone - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norton 8000 stone

I have a black and translucent, really cool translucent 4x 12 with the bottom left with chisel marks unfinished.

BUT the Arkansas washita stone is the Arkansas that I love the most, fast cutter as it's softer then a soft but finer grain then a soft, cool stone great for kitchen knives. I'd put the finish at around a 800, while I'd say a soft is more like 400-500. Coolest part to the washita's is the do a "mock" katsmui finish kind of like a king 800. Cuts about as fast as the king too.
    +1 on the oil, I have had luck with WD 40 too but I switched to the water based oil that smiths makes, keeps the stones cleaner and no clogging trouble, but you have to use more of it.

O two notes:
    1) while I have 2 old norton Arkansas stones that are very good there (norton) newer ones for some reason are not as good. I like the ones from Halls much more. Thay have the really big ones too! They stock a 3x 12 and if you call them up they will cut you any size you want. I like the fact that you can just call them up and talk to the man that mines and cuts the stones, great stones great guy.
    2) I don't think the washita's are around anymore? Smiths and norton use to have them but not any more ); norton came out with what they called a Lilly washita, but it's not think it's just a soft ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    O two notes:
    1) while I have 2 old norton Arkansas stones that are very good there (norton) newer ones for some reason are not as good. I like the ones from Halls much more. Thay have the really big ones too! They stock a 3x 12 and if you call them up they will cut you any size you want. I like the fact that you can just call them up and talk to the man that mines and cuts the stones, great stones great guy.
    2) I don't think the washita's are around anymore? Smiths and norton use to have them but not any more ); norton came out with what they called a Lilly washita, but it's not think it's just a soft ?
    Nice. I'll call that guy sometime.