Norton 8000 stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
Hi

Due to having store credit on a defective pan i ended up with a Norton 8000 stone, my intent was to use this after my king stones as a final polish. On further inspection the stone looks to rough to be a finishing stone, is this just my lack of knowledge ? and will things be fine if i use it ?

Obviously once use i cant return it.

Thanks

Alan

you have to lap it, they are very nice stones and can put a very fine edge.

Nortons aren't too loved around here, but I have 4, and really like how they feel. They are really fast cutters. The 4000 grit Norton feels better than any other stone I have ever tried. It doesn't clog or dish too much, either. The 8000 is nice, but if you want a mirror polish, maybe jump to a Shapton glass 16...it's reasonably priced for such a high grit stone.

I have a few Nortons. I don't use them much but they are perfectly serviceable, including the 8k.

Yes, the 8k is a good stone, but I would say it performs more like a 4k as far as poilsh goes. My Norton 4k seems to cut faster than my Arashiyama 1k and even my king Hyper 1k.... Nortons are gritty.

I like norton's water stones, oil stones too. I'll likely get made fun of for bringing this up again but I still love the good old feel of a Arkansas stone. Think it reminds me of my dad showing me how to use a stone? They might be slower then water stones but they do produce a great edge, no one gives them any credit around here:disdain:

I think the reasons you all love them are some of the same others don't consider them.... Norton is a classic name when it comes to sharpening chisels, axes, razors, etc.... I guess some wouldn't believe they can make a product that would excel at sharpening Japanese knives. I too, have found other stones that I may like more in each grit, but the consistency from the 220-1000-4000-8000 with the Nortons is a perfect progression (although, I would add an even higher finishing stone for those seeking a true mirror), with the 4000 being the stand out to me.

I've been meaning to check out an Arkansas for cheap steel, because I've only avoided them because they are slow cutters, and I'm a busy man. I like the idea of them though. American hones.

Arky stones cut well if you approach them right. They are really sensitive to the lubricant that you use. If your honing oil is too thick or too thin they will not work that well. I use WD40 and get pretty good results. When doing a quick touchup I will sometimes use a fine DMT followed by a black hard. I have a translucent one that puts a really high polish on an edge, and works really well for straights.

I have a black and translucent, really cool translucent 4x 12 with the bottom left with chisel marks unfinished.

BUT the Arkansas washita stone is the Arkansas that I love the most, fast cutter as it's softer then a soft but finer grain then a soft, cool stone great for kitchen knives. I'd put the finish at around a 800, while I'd say a soft is more like 400-500. Coolest part to the washita's is the do a "mock" katsmui finish kind of like a king 800. Cuts about as fast as the king too.
+1 on the oil, I have had luck with WD 40 too but I switched to the water based oil that smiths makes, keeps the stones cleaner and no clogging trouble, but you have to use more of it.

O two notes:
1) while I have 2 old norton Arkansas stones that are very good there (norton) newer ones for some reason are not as good. I like the ones from Halls much more. Thay have the really big ones too! They stock a 3x 12 and if you call them up they will cut you any size you want. I like the fact that you can just call them up and talk to the man that mines and cuts the stones, great stones great guy.
2) I don't think the washita's are around anymore? Smiths and norton use to have them but not any more ); norton came out with what they called a Lilly washita, but it's not think it's just a soft ?

O two notes:
1) while I have 2 old norton Arkansas stones that are very good there (norton) newer ones for some reason are not as good. I like the ones from Halls much more. Thay have the really big ones too! They stock a 3x 12 and if you call them up they will cut you any size you want. I like the fact that you can just call them up and talk to the man that mines and cuts the stones, great stones great guy.
2) I don't think the washita's are around anymore? Smiths and norton use to have them but not any more ); norton came out with what they called a Lilly washita, but it's not think it's just a soft ?

Nice. I'll call that guy sometime.

Back