Quantcast
New small gyuto/utility knife - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New small gyuto/utility knife

Kalaeb,
    Just out of curiosity, what is your experience with the Carters?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I have a 7.9 sun Funyaki HG with white steel. The profile is awesome. I don't know what the RC is. The knife looses its edge incredible fast. I have put on less steep angles tried microbeveling and it still does not hold up against even light use. That is the biggest gripe, and the biggest dissapointment.

Fit and finish, well it...its a Carter...I thought by buying the high grade it would make a difference as it claims to be hand finished on whetstones to a mirror polish. It is clearly finished with a belt sander or a very low grit stone as there are still very obvious vertical (perpendicular to the edge) deep scratches. Even the makes mark is half ground off, there is a definate lack of attention to detail, even in stepping up to the HG.

This knife sits next to my Fuji at work and when I need to get to work I grab the Fuj because I know I will be able to get through the prep list without switching knives.

As stated before, the knife is not horrible...but IMO over exaggerated.

Just out of curiousity, are there any pros who use a Carter on a regular basis?

+1 on Carter. I didn't believe the hype until I bought one (funayuki in White #1). Outstanding cutter that gets a really sharp edge.

Kalaeb, I can think of a few people who would likely love to buy your Carter, if you don't like it.
    No knife works for everybody, so it's definitely fair to say it's not a good knife for you. I know you know a quality knife when you see one, so it's obviously just a matter of personal taste.
    Out of curiosity, which gyuto is your favourite?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Am I really the only Carter dissenter? No worries, to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Out of curiosity, which gyuto is your favourite?
    Currently, the DT ITK, I know it seems like a stock answer, but the knife really does rock!. I keep on taking it out of rotation to give the others a chance, but it always ends up back in. That is for now...there may be some others comming in soon.

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    But Im more of a wa man than a ho man when it comes to carter.
    Aren't you a female and a lesbian?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I haven't tried to test my Carters' edge retention but I can certainly tell the edge retention is better than a lot of other knives I've tried. When I tout their performance, I am referring to the ease of cutting. I recently acquired a small Carter. At this point, it hasn't gotten much use but it cuts well. I just use 210 mm+ sizes a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Am I really the only Carter dissenter? No worries, to each their own.

Currently, the DT ITK, I know it seems like a stock answer, but the knife really does rock!. I keep on taking it out of rotation to give the others a chance, but it always ends up back in. That is for now...there may be some others comming in soon.
    I wouldn't say it's a stock answer. I'd call it honest. I've heard almost nothing but great things about the DT ITK, especially for pros. I haven't tried one yet, but one is on the way to my house (or will be soon) to give a whirl. I'm interested to see why they are so highly regarded. I'm sure it's warranted, but I want to see for myself.
    The funny thing about me being a Carter fan is before I tried one, I 100% disagreed with everything about them. Then I tried one and it works perfectly FOR ME.
    It's funny how we all offer our opinions and insight, chasing after the same thing, yet all anyone really agrees on is that we all have different ideas of what poor, acceptable, and exceptional are.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Welshstar, how about something like this for a gyuto/petty.

I wonder if you just got a lemon? Doesn't Carter eyeball the HT? If he does that would allow for some variation in results. Considering how many seem to have different results I have to wonder if something is amiss with your particular knife.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig