Sukenari Aogami Super

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supersayan3

Reaction score
Read yesterday from Jame's page, that Sukenaris Aogami Super is 66HRC.

It got me tempted.
Can anybody who owns the knife, give some impressions?

Thank you in advance [emoji1]

I have the AS blade as gift from Sukenari but not carrying the AS since I have a LOT of other things in the pipeline from them. I talked about the AS and honyaki not ZDP because I feel more comfortable talking about something I am not carrying in the public :p

I had one in 210mm. Profile and F&f were solid. My only issue - and keep in mind I like really thin grinds - was it was a bit thicker right behind the edge than I like. Would probably make for a very durable line knife, but the average home cook might want something a bit thinner. The rest of the grind was good and IIRC it was fairly thin overall.

Can somebody please commend about how the edge of 66 HRC feels compared to other knives or other aogami super knives? Is it chippy? Is it not? Esge Feels dense? Blade Feels sturdy, feels flexible?

Stiff blade. I don't remember the sharpening to be any different than my other knives on Shapton Glass stones.

I read it at the ' trip to Sukenari' , where it was posted hardness test at some different steels of Sukenari knives

I read it at the ' trip to Sukenari' , where it was posted hardness test at some different steels of Sukenari knives

I just went back and reread it… I forgot I read it earlier. I remember asking Koki about the Sukenari AS Damascus when JCK first got them, I recall a similar comment about blade failure during quenching process, but thought the HRC was around 64 (still higher than Takeda).

It was not particularly hard to sharpen but when we did a direct comparison with another non-sukenari AS @ 62, it was noticeably harder on the imanishi stones that Hanaka-San use.

Thank you all [emoji4]

I mean, how does the edge feel when you cut

One thing that I recall of this blade was how the OOTB edge seemed to retain its tooth-iness after going through things like tomatoes. I only used at home but it seemed to be longer than some other knofes.

Also the distal taper was different… didn't start until a couple inches or so from the tip on the 240, not necessarily a bad thing, but was different.

Back