Choosing my first carbon steel knife...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xerophthalmia

Reaction score
I've been a long time user of Zwilling J.A.Henckels Five Star knives. They're okay, but a bit thick and clunky. I've never gotten to replacing them so now I think it's high time. I would like to try out a thinner, sharper and more nimble knife. Since I like spending time caring for my knives I would like to try out a carbon steel knife. Carbon steel knives are a bit hard to come by in Denmark where I live. There is an online shop that sells high quality japanese knives but only stainless steel knives as far as I can see. I will probably try one of these knives too but in the meantime I would like to get a carbon steel knife.

I checked out Korin and two knives caught my eye. The Togiharu Virgin Carbon Steel Gyutou and the Misono Swedish Carbon Steel Gyutou. I like the western handles with the japanese blades. I've read a lot of good things about both knives. The Togi seems like a good value for money knife and the Miso isn't very expensive either. Anyone tried both knives and can give me an opinion? I'm obviously not able to try any of them out so I kind of have to make an informed decision based on the information I can find online. Feel free to suggest other knives.

Thanks in advance!

No experience with the Togi, but I like the Misono because they have a dragon and as a lefty it is fairly easy to get the hand specific models. There is a questionnaire pinned to the top of this subforum you should consider filling out to get more specific answers based on wants, needs, budget, etc.

. ...Carbon steel knives are a bit hard to come by in Denmark where I live. There is an online shop that sells high quality japanese knives but only stainless steel knives as far as I can see. I will probably try one of these knives too but in the meantime I would like to get a carbon steel knife....Feel free to suggest other knives. Thanks in advance!

Hello Denmark. May I introduce you to Denmark? http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/ (I've seen the map - it's gotta be walking distance...:cool2:)

Welcome to the forum. Maxim should be able to help you into the knife game.

Thanks for the link! I didn't know about this site. Believe it or not, it takes 3 hours to get there by train because of all the stops in between and I live in Aarhus and don't have a car. :-D The knives seem a little pricey to me, but I've only taken a brief look. Maybe there's something there.

I'm not sure if I can get more specific than the type of knives I mentioned, but I'll try:

-chef's knife 200-240mm blade
-western full-tang handle
-thin japanese style blade (carbon)
-home use
-<$250 (prices are higher in Denmark)

So basically something like the two knives mentioned. Since I haven't tried these kind of knives before I can't get more specific. I've tried cheaper japanese style knives and they felt better bladewise. I mostly use the vegetable knife and Santoku because they have thinner blades than my Chef knife (Zwilling knives).

Try the togiharu or suisin carbon. I would not recommend misono for a first timer, it is very high maintenance and is too thin for crossing over from German knives.

Try the togiharu or suisin carbon. I would not recommend misono for a first timer, it is very high maintenance and is too thin for crossing over from German knives.

Thanks! I'll consider it. Do you know how thin the Misono is? Just to have a reference for my own knives.

Another knife that piqued my interest was the Akifusa PM from exclusiveknive.com. It's not a carbon steel knife though, more expensive and only a 180mm blade. As I mentioned this is maybe something I'll try out later.

Thanks for the link! I didn't know about this site. Believe it or not, it takes 3 hours to get there by train because of all the stops in between and I live in Aarhus and don't have a car. :-D The knives seem a little pricey to me, but I've only taken a brief look. Maybe there's something there.

I'm not sure if I can get more specific than the type of knives I mentioned, but I'll try:

-chef's knife 200-240mm blade
-western full-tang handle
-thin japanese style blade (carbon)
-home use
-<$250 (prices are higher in Denmark)

So basically something like the two knives mentioned. Since I haven't tried these kind of knives before I can't get more specific. I've tried cheaper japanese style knives and they felt better bladewise. I mostly use the vegetable knife and Santoku because they have thinner blades than my Chef knife (Zwilling knives).

You may be seeing some of the high end knives such as Shigefusa and Kato… highly sought after by collectors, enthusiasts, and pro cooks. Some more budget friendly options would be itinomonn http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn/ and munetoshi http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-sanjo/

Toyama http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/toyama-noborikoi/ would be another option but may be towards the higher end of your budget with vat considered.

Another thing I've heard is it is very difficult/impossible to import knives into Denmark, so options within the country (or perhaps even within the EU) may be the best route

Your requirement for a Western handle will limit your choices in your price range. Westerns are readily available in the cheapest Japanese offerings, say 75 to 150 USD then they are less prevelent above 200. They reappear at the very high end.

That said JNS has the Kasumi Intinomonn with a western handle from Dan just outside your range. Stainless clad carbon. (Dan handles are very nice) He also has offerings with the more traditional (and more comfortable - to me) wa handles that are within your range.

For some reason I can't edit my post, but I just saw that you're interested in the western handle which may limit your options. Have you tried the Japanese Wa style handles? I personally prefer them over the western style

I would not recommend misono for a first timer, it is very high maintenance and is too thin for crossing over from German knives.
I sent both 270 Misono Dragons I've purchased off for professional thinning, because they were too chunky for my tastes. I think Jon cut the weight of my last one by an easy 20-25%. They're more robust behind the edge than any of the "laser" category knives I've owned, and have a decent heft in the hand. They are by no means a big switch from German knives... in fact, when I first got into carbon j-knives way back when, the Dragon was the knife that eased my transition.

As for reactivity and maintenance... they aren't the best, but hardly the kind of carbon that makes you regret getting into carbon. Easier to deal with than White #2 by a long shot. I've never stained product with a Misono, or turned an onion brown. Once a decent patina sets in, you can leave the damn things in a puddle of pineapple juice without much worry. For the price (which was recently lowered), it's hard to say the Misono isn't a good entry level carbon.

Another thing I've heard is it is very difficult/impossible to import knives into Denmark, so options within the country (or perhaps even within the EU) may be the best route
I'm not sure about that. You need a permit for non-kitchen knives. I have such a permit because I collect kukri knives. I've ordered from Nepal without any problems but I'll have to check to see.

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

I sent both 270 Misono Dragons I've purchased off for professional thinning, because they were too chunky for my tastes. I think Jon cut the weight of my last one by an easy 20-25%. They're more robust behind the edge than any of the "laser" category knives I've owned, and have a decent heft in the hand. They are by no means a big switch from German knives... in fact, when I first got into carbon j-knives way back when, the Dragon was the knife that eased my transition.

As for reactivity and maintenance... they aren't the best, but hardly the kind of carbon that makes you regret getting into carbon. Easier to deal with than White #2 by a long shot. I've never stained product with a Misono, or turned an onion brown. Once a decent patina sets in, you can leave the damn things in a puddle of pineapple juice without much worry. For the price (which was recently lowered), it's hard to say the Misono isn't a good entry level carbon.

That's good to know. The Misono is back in the race. :)

For some reason I can't edit my post, but I just saw that you're interested in the western handle which may limit your options. Have you tried the Japanese Wa style handles? I personally prefer them over the western style

No I haven't. Are they the more square ones? I'm not necessarily against japanese style handles. I could probably easily get used to them. I had en japanese style Santoku 10 years ago (not a fancy one) but handle wise I just gravitated towards the western style handles.

No I haven't. Are they the more square ones? I'm not necessarily against japanese style handles. I could probably easily get used to them. I had en japanese style Santoku 10 years ago (not a fancy one) but handle wise I just gravitated towards the western style handles.

masakagetweemaal002.jpg

The top knife is a Japanese style handle (wa) and the bottom knife is a Western style handle (yo).

Wa handles come in a range of different cross sections, but the most common are d-shaped and octagonal. Wa handled knives have an emoto (neck); you'll notice that the heel is much further forward on the top knife in relation to the bolster.

Western handles tend to have a full tang (notice the rivets) whereas Wa handles have a 'stick' tang, this makes Western handles knives (with the same blade) heavier overall and brings the balance point further back.

masakagetweemaal002.jpg

The top knife is a Japanese style handle (wa) and the bottom knife is a Western style handle (yo).

Wa handles come in a range of different cross sections, but the most common are d-shaped and octagonal. Wa handled knives have an emoto (neck); you'll notice that the heel is much further forward on the top knife in relation to the bolster.

Western handles tend to have a full tang (notice the rivets) whereas Wa handles have a 'stick' tang, this makes Western handles knives (with the same blade) heavier overall and brings the balance point further back.

Such average examples you chose. ;)

Back