Is this Sakai Takayuki fake?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aichmophobia

Reaction score
I received this knife, and then I compared with Japan, factory and USA website photos, they all don't have a "Made in Japan" except on the other side of the blade. Also the printing is rather shallow. I suspect this is a fake?

20160616_020746.jpg

20160616_020832.jpg

You really have no basis to assume that - no knowledge base, no experience base and from your own posts very little experience with any knives.

Who would counterfeit a nickle?

There seem to be counterfeits galore of Global and Chroma Porsche, which are rather less expensive per edge inch than the Aonikos...

You really have no basis to assume that - no knowledge base, no experience base and from your own posts very little experience with any knives.

Who would counterfeit a nickle?

I am new here, and I am not trolling. But many old members keep using a sarcasm way of mocking me. Who would counterfeit a nickle? the Chinese! How difficult is it for the Chinese to counterfeit a nickle? The cost is only penny in China! their wages are much lower than you can expect (1.4 billion people and millions of factories), and they have the perfect tools, machines, and engraving, printing technology for the price you cannot imaginely so cheap! My company have always gone to China to contract out manufacturing so I know a lot!

And this ST blue paper 2 steel Gyuto is not a nickle, the international price range from US$97 to US$165, if I want to counterfeit it, it would only cost me US$20 or less (not with blue steel of course).

Tojiro knives have been counterfeited(thousands sold), I bought one in China for only US$5 !! check it out.... Its finishing is good, and smooth, and cut very very well, and very very sharp!!!!! somehow I think you are the one who knows very little about knife and manufacturing.

TB2dk9RXVXXXXXVXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!630374065.jpg

This Wusthof counterfeit, selling now for US$13.69 ,hundreds of people bought it and gave 99.4% good reviews!!! I am going to buy one soon. made in China probably.

You think it is hard to make a good knife these days in China? It's easy, but Chinese brands worth nothing, so they just have to steal the international brands!!!!

TB28.lzqFXXXXbYXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!2376156036.jpg_600x600.jpg

Now most American big brands are contracted out to manufacture in China!! This proves that the Chinese factories have the experience (35 years now) and technology to make good products for the Americans. All your NIKE and many products around you were made in China. That's why your prez candidate DT wants to stop this fact.

I don't think ST has the brand recognition to make it worthwhile to counterfeit.

I think a more accurate line of reasoning than "who would counterfeit a nickel" is "why would you counterfeit a relatively unknown brand?"

Global, Shun, Wusthof all make sense as there's a big market waiting for them and the brand recognition is strong, but not so much with ST.

If you're going to knock off a lesser known brand, you'd usually go for a high end one.

藤次郎別作 is a common and widely known "fake" brand with a range of stories for their origin. I have not talked to the folks at Tojiro so I don't know. Could be wise to email the company in Japan and ask.

The Sakai Takayuki differences could be explained a few ways. The simplest explanation is that it may be from a different OEM for ST. pkjames has some connections with ST, so perhaps he could chime in. I would not jump to the conclusion of a fake, but it's not impossible. The etch, with the exception of the "made in Japan" part, looks right, which you usually don't find with the fake Tojiro knives.

Again, could always call or email the company and ask.

Now most American big brands are contracted out to manufacture in China!! This proves that the Chinese factories have the experience (35 years now) and technology to make good products for the Americans. All your NIKE and many products around you were made in China. That's why your prez candidate DT wants to stop this fact.

You mentioned experience and technology but neglected to address the overriding impetus: CHEAP LABOR.

Now, if you want to turn this into a political/national issue, I'll close it down faster than a cat can lick its butt.

You mentioned experience and technology but neglected to address the overriding impetus: CHEAP LABOR.

Now, if you want to turn this into a political/national issue, I'll close it down faster than a cat can lick its butt.

Maybe not a big factor with knives, but for jewellery and apparel, a major draw for using Asian manufacturers is that the ladies have small and very dexterous hands.

From my experience, they can do detail work far better and more efficiently than any factory in the West and I'd be using Asian labour for this work even if it was the same price as (or more expensive than) western labour.

Thank you XooMG, I wrote ST in Japan twice, still not replying me at all. Maybe you are right, maybe it is an OEM, because ST is rather well known in Taiwan, I got from a dealer who goes to Taiwan 3 times a month. Thank you all for helping.

Tojiro just emailed me back confirming that the 藤次郎別作 branding are fakes, but didn't provide any further explanation.

Sakai Takayuki is a brand that has grown quite large and so their sourcing could be rather wide. It is unlikely that a Taiwanese OEM would be authorized to etch "Made in Japan" on a blade not made in Japan. A guess is pretty meaningless, but if I had to guess, I'd say it was either an early batch before removing the MIJ etch from the template, or the result of a new OEM in Japan. Give ST a few days to respond (show them the pic in a link and ask about the "made in Japan" etch, and ask if it is new because you've never seen it before). I think they'll respond in time.

Good luck.

I asked in the other thread, that if OP could give a pic of the entire knife, which I could forward to ST. Was ignored

Msg came back from Mr. Toshikazu Aoki:
"knife is TAKAYUKI . no problem, actually we have two design logo. The question picture has new logo."

Msg came back from Mr. Toshikazu Aoki:
"knife is TAKAYUKI . no problem, actually we have two design logo. The question picture has new logo."
Cool, thanks for the follow-up on that one.

I will say that, in a lot of manufacturing, there are minor running changes to items. For a given model year of car (same options and everything) there may be slightly different interior trims or the like. A recent example of the Canon 24-105L has switches that don't stick up from the lens barrel as much as the earlier ones, but it wasn't given a new stock number. Others here probably have their own examples.

This Wusthof counterfeit, selling now for US$13.69 ,hundreds of people bought it and gave 99.4% good reviews!!! I am going to buy one soon. made in China probably.

You think it is hard to make a good knife these days in China? It's easy, but Chinese brands worth nothing, so they just have to steal the international brands!!!!

Please don't buy one. You would be joining the counterfeiters in stealing from the name brands.

Back