Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another one ups the price (Misono)

Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post
    Interesting... sounds like you bought yours a while back? If Vertigo got his recently and I got my first one back in May-ish of 09, then maybe they've changed the composition?
    honestly i think i bought mine only a few months before you. i think it was around the first of the year (xmas money) of 09

Looks like the Amazon loophole is closed. 240 carbon gyutou is now over $200.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Pics when it shows up!

I'm really liking this knife so far. The extra weight & heft is a nice change of pace from my Konosuke 210 wa-petty. Definitely not a laser, but thin enough to not cause any complaints, and sturdy enough to not have to baby it all the time. And I really like the narrow (44mm if you're curious) & flat profile. I guess I like my knives like I like my women, not too thin but not too much belly either

Sharpening the swedish steel is extremely nice - last time I moved from an Aritsugu-A to a Konosuke HD, and it felt like sharpening became a breeze. But now moving from the HD to the Swedish steel, there's a whole new level of breeziness. With my Rika, I couldn't get it to hold a burr - the burr just crumbles away.

The patina is not as strong as I remember, so maybe it's true they changed their formula, or maybe I've just picked up better knife habits over the last two years. I haven't gotten the chance to chop an onion yet, so we'll see... And the patina in the photos is the result of slicing some cooked chicken breast.

Interesting on the price hikes, I looked at cktg last night and the 240 was still $135.00. I wondered if it was a typo, or a different knife.

spaceconvoy, is that a 210? Looks great man! Do you think it will replace your 210 Konosuke petty as your go-to knife?

Kalaeb: Not a typo, CKTG and EE are both still selling them at the old prices. Who knows how long that will last though.

And CJ: that's the hundred dollar question right now... Other than their length and double-bevel-ness, they're totally different knives but somehow both great all-arounders. Now that I have both, I don't think either will become 'The' go-to knife - dicing an onion, I'd go with the Misono, making a salad, definitely the Konosuke.

And yes, it's a 210. As a home cook, I don't really understand why anyone would want something larger. Well, I guess 270 kinda makes sense if you want to avoid buying a slicer. But 240 has always seemed like a awkward middle child, not long enough to really slice, just bigger and clumsier without being more effective for small home portions... to each their own